Register

A tale of RNG :-)

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Revered

A tale of RNG :-)

Postby Sibylle » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:16 pm

It's late and I'll have an early start tomorrow, but I'm far too wired right now to sleep.

Those of you who've known me for a while might remember the awful luck I've had with weapon drops on my Ally kitty for almost all of Dragon Soul and the first MoP tier. I must have been the last person to replace previous-tier weapons - not even Raid Finder gave me my drop, although I ran it religiously every week.

After my 6-month break from WoW, when I levelled my new Horde kitty, I swore I wouldn't leave a weapon to chance if I didn't have to, and saved all my gold (I'd given all I had away before I left, so I was pretty broke for some weeks) to buy Stormherald, Reborn. Of course, one of the first LFRs I did was ToeS and Tsulong dropped the staff. Of COURSE. Ah well.

I'm currently not in a raid, and my Horde guild does only casual raiding anyway. We do have *one* team that does heroics, they raid only twice a week but are doing quite well, considering. When I was online tonight, I got a /w from their raid leader - they were one dps short and would I like to join?

I nearly had a heart attack. I haven't even studied normal tactics for most ToT bosses. My kitty is ilvl 486, with blue 458 shoulders and bracers (been really unlucky even in hc dungeons), and I've run the second half of ToT exactly once on lfr. They didn't have anyone else though, so I joined and went on Mumble. What boss are they on, I asked, and got the answer "Heroic Tortos".

Gulp!!

Long story short, my progress on Jin'rokh and Horridon is now LFR + heroic, no normal :lol: Since Horridon drops agil wrists, I used a bonus roll.

And got Jalak's Maelstrom Staff. Which means I now wield one of the best weapons currently in the game, with otherwise crappy gear (did I mention the blue shoulders and wrists?).

Confession: I had a great time. Gods, I had no idea how much I'd missed raiding!! We didn't kill Tortos although we got him pretty low, and I'm sure they'll get him tomorrow night. I was horribly unprepared but they said I was doing ok, and my dps was, while terrible, not TOO bad for my iLevel.

So ends (for now) the Tale Of RNG. After two weapon-less tiers, I now get drowned in both weapons and trinkets (still waiting for Rune, but I only have *one* Lei Shen kill on LFR so far). I wonder how I can get the loot gods to bestow a pair of shoulders and bracers on me.

Thanks for listening. I think I can sleep now :)
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Re: A tale of RNG :-)

Postby Qualiti » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:38 pm

I just got my heroic weapon last week... :(

Honored

Postby Etapicx » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:16 pm

I sat out on horridon HC and the other kitty got TFHC weapon. (For what it's wroth he had the random drop staff normal TF already) And i have Lei Shen normal :-( The worst thing is the monks only charged him 15 dkp (I'm sitting on +120)

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:03 am

I feel your pain, guys. I think I ran a total of 15 weeks of Dragon Soul without a single weapon drop, on both normal and Raid Finder, and later heroic. The Tsulong weapon last tier dropped the week I left WoW. And this time around, RNG suddenly throws weapons at me, lol.

I just wish I could replace those last blue pieces already!

Edit, P.S.: I thought it's time to introduce my new kitty. Here she is! As you can see, I still have rubbish enchants on some pieces and my glyphs are for questing, not raiding. That'll change very soon, of course :)
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Honored

Postby Andanas » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:13 am

My RNG is just weird, sometimes unlucky, but mostly weird. I have two accounts on US and one EU ( to play with a friend that used to live in the US, but moved to EU). On my US account, I'd been running Sethekk Halls quite a bit for the mount, and I still don't have it. On my EU toon, it dropped the very first time I ran it. The Rune still eludes me on my US toon, but I got it first run on my EU toon, and on the 3rd run I got a 2nd Rune. I have a 516 polearm from the hc scenario cache, but still only the 483 from HoF on my EU toon.

So yea RNG is just a bit odd for me.

Honored

Postby Whitepaw » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:49 am

WotLK was weird for me, loot-wise.

I never got a new weapon in Ulduar. Killed XT-002 for 9 months straight, never dropped. The first upgrade from Naxx dropped in Tier 9. After that, I was showered in weapons when in Ulduar for the achievements and mount.

I never got new trinkets in Tier 9 or 10. Death Bringer's Will never dropped for my Feral. I did get the ArP uber-trinket from that extra dragon boss at the end of the X-pack - only to have ArP removed from the game weeks later. On the other hand, ICC showered me with weapons.

While this RNG was taking place, I raided Tier 9 and 10 with 2 alts on a regular basis (my DK went 10/12 ICC 25 HC, by raiding every Saturday for 4 hours in a semi-PUG raid. Yes, raiding was easier in WotLK). On these alts, I got all trinkets from both tiers and I got HC weapons - and this was without DKP, just clean loot rolls against typically 8-9 ppl. On the DK, I even got both normal AND HC DBW!

Oh, and also: The Wildheart Cowl never dropped for my Feral in Scholomance - and I mean never ever, despite my insane farming of it for years. I have ofc de'd it on almost every other char I've had in there, before Blizzard removed it.

Honored

Postby Laurind » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:27 pm

you can have Shoulders from the barrens token, it's 489 (not sure if you can get bracers).
Or if you have some JPs trade them for HPs, and buy 476 pvp gear (no more stats lost) to get the bracer and shoulders

I'm resto now, with pretty good luck for it, but I can't get some kitty offspec gear, I'm with a bear tank, and he got Horridon H weap, then Primordius (or shared one, idk) and he got that one too (better stats), still waiting for a decent weap:(
I'm missing playing feral (damn moonkin, I can't do any decent dmg with it)

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:40 am

Yeah :) I haven't even gotten as far as the Barrens quests, haha, I meant to take things slowly this time around and my new druid has only been 90 for a couple weeks. I'll get the Valor wrists by the weekend (the Shado Pan Assault ones) and hopefully a pair of shoulders will drop, otherwise there's a valor option there too in a week or two.
-Sibylle

Honored

Postby RareBeast » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:12 pm

Hit the Barrens Quests ASAP. 200 Valor is nice - especially when druids can "harvest" the required items in flight form and not even have to kill any mobs!

Also, a tip for everyone. Before the end of the week, collect the 150 of each item. Then log out next to the quest giver. When you log in after the weekly reset, you still have the "Valor of the Ancient" buff until you zone. This means you can turn the quest in straight away and get 300 valor instead of 200 each week! Makes hitting the valor cap much easier each week (really helps me when I am trying to cap 4 toons a week atm :D )

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:37 am

Wow, nice! Thanks for the tip.

I haven't even started on the Barrens stuff yet, but will do so on Friday :)
-Sibylle

Postby Bethany » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:05 am

After 5 personal kills of Lei Shen normal, I'm still yet to see RoRo our Guardian tank took the first, and the guild as a whole has two. Last week we struggled for numbers and went in with a 10m group to just clear the place. I rolled loot - it was the chest and my heart broke. Seeing our WW monk pump out some enormous numbers with good procs just pains my heart.

What's worse is that the successful coin roll meant I rolled some serious gold on our Jin Rokh and more importantly, Horridon heroic kills last night.

...Maybe one day

Postby Blyth » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:47 am

Well, it took me 9 IDs ToT to get an 522 weapon.
Couple of IDs Horridon HC till I got the HC Staff and... the SAME ID i used bonus roll on Ji Kun HC and got the Darkwood Spiritstaff hc.. oh and in the same ID twins nhc dropped the Darkwood Spiritstaff too :roll:

Postby Samskeyti » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:36 am

It's great to hear you're back and big grats on the staff! I've been unlucky in the past tier, as the Tsulong staff dropped once and our monk took it, and then ToT came and item upgrades were no more and of course the first openraid I did after, Tsulong staff dropped :p I've been more lucky now in ToT, and got the normal thunderforged Jalak staff, and rune from bonus roll... I really can't complain, though it would be great to get a better ring and tier shoulders one day :)

Never seen the Darkwood Spirit Staff!

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:13 pm

Hiiiiii Samskeyti! Great to hear you're still up and raiding.

I've just been thinking of you the other day! I thought, now that I have a horde druid, we can't group up and fish for the fire-kitty staff in the Firelands like we planned to do all those moons ago :) It's a shame, but I do love my little troll girl. Slowly getting used to having a cat form which isn't nelf.
-Sibylle

Honored

Postby teddabear » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:16 am

Our healer has the Heroic weapon, I still have the normal version.

That's all I have to say about that.

Postby Samskeyti » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:59 am

Sibylle wrote:Hiiiiii Samskeyti! Great to hear you're still up and raiding.

I've just been thinking of you the other day! I thought, now that I have a horde druid, we can't group up and fish for the fire-kitty staff in the Firelands like we planned to do all those moons ago :) It's a shame, but I do love my little troll girl. Slowly getting used to having a cat form which isn't nelf.

But, nothing beats trollform cats! And you might have heard about the burning seeds in the Firelands, lying next to the portal where Mr firecat/scorpion is, so firecat without staff yay! But lately, I'm always asked to tank, so I don't get to be cat so often, which is a shame. I love hc Ji-Kun as cat.

Postby Regular » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:45 am

I have yet to see Rune drop this tier and I have bonus rolled every time we killed him. The first time the monk in my raid group bonus rolled he got it and it was thunderforged too.

Postby Artika » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:09 pm

11 heroic horridon kills and 1 heroic lei shen kill have netted zero thunderforged weapons, including a coin each week on them. It's pretty irritating. My guild has seen zero of the random drop staff as well.

Then of course I do coin something off the heroic lei shen, and it's the chest piece, ffffuuuu

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:29 pm

Fingers and claws crossed for all of ye still waiting for THAT drop!

I still have blue shoulders, but otherwise my iLevel is now 500. Got to raid with them again today, and the raid leader asked me if I am free tomorrow too, which I am of course - I might be carving myself a spot there :D

/purr

P.S. Off- but related-topic: Am I the only one who has tries when everything falls into place, I always have 5 combo points when I need to refresh Rip or SR, and of course I manage it in the last 2 seconds before they fall off without energy capping, Thrash always seems to be up, everything falls into place... And then there are tries when it's all incredibly clumsy and I just can't seem to find "my game" and my uptimes are terrible! Does this happen to other people too?
-Sibylle

Postby Bethany » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:37 am

Sibylle wrote:P.S. Off- but related-topic: Am I the only one who has tries when everything falls into place, I always have 5 combo points when I need to refresh Rip or SR, and of course I manage it in the last 2 seconds before they fall off without energy capping, Thrash always seems to be up, everything falls into place... And then there are tries when it's all incredibly clumsy and I just can't seem to find "my game" and my uptimes are terrible! Does this happen to other people too?

Not normally, save a few times when SR and Rip line up, I tend to refresh early (sometimes way early) to ensure they don't sync. Generally feel early is better than super late!

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:42 am

To me it seems like it's always on certain pulls that *everything* falls into place, and others *nothing* works, lol.
-Sibylle

Revered

Postby Alpheus » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:55 am

Sibylle wrote:P.S. Off- but related-topic: Am I the only one who has tries when everything falls into place, I always have 5 combo points when I need to refresh Rip or SR, and of course I manage it in the last 2 seconds before they fall off without energy capping, Thrash always seems to be up, everything falls into place... And then there are tries when it's all incredibly clumsy and I just can't seem to find "my game" and my uptimes are terrible! Does this happen to other people too?

Yes, it's called RPPM. One pull it's 220k the other it's 320 (Heroic Lei Shen snapshot at first intermission). It's even worse on Iron Qon. Not only do you need procs during the phase 2 (all dogs) transition but you also need rena (juju) and rune up at the same time for it to make any significant difference (ie. 40k+ average difference, probably what you need to rank). I don't really like how this tier ended up in general. We still had no Spiritstaff, no Jalak's HC TF, I got my 600 cloak very late (1 week before HC Ra-den kill). Rankings are mostly depending on lucky trinkets alignment (not even uptime alone, they HAVE to proc at the same time). I hope the T16 trinkets we're seeing and probably some replacement for rune and meta gem will alleviate some of these issues. I'm feeling rather unmotivated to actually do my best to try to rank because I know I probably can't do anything about it.

Postby mystidruid » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:13 am

Anyone else start working on H Lei Shen and still not get a RoR drop? Been killing and coining for months and I die a little every week :(

Honored

Postby Paloro » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:05 am

mystidruid wrote:Anyone else start working on H Lei Shen and still not get a RoR drop? Been killing and coining for months and I die a little every week :(

I've coined 3 H RoR now and not a single one has been TF!!!!!!!

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:01 am

Alpheus wrote:I hope the T16 trinkets we're seeing and probably some replacement for rune and meta gem will alleviate some of these issues.

Unless they intentionally change Rune or our mastery, it isn't going anywhere.

Next

Return to Kitty DPS