Register

Mangle vs. Shred

Face-rippin fun.

Mangle vs. Shred

Postby KevinDGAF » Thu May 16, 2013 6:42 am

Hello Everyone,

First post here.

I am a humbled kitty looking for answers. My dps is low. I'm simming 107K SoTF and Doc, and am doing ~75K on the dummy. My ilvl is 503 and of course I am not perfect. I'm thinking about logging myself for some more in-depth advice.

On to the real reason why I'm posting:
One thing that I've noticed is that Sim C. comes up with, in a 6-9 minute fight, a ratio of 86 Mangles to 27 Shreds.

This has been left me baffled for quite a few days.

Could anybody give me any background information on this?

I'm half-expecting to hear Shred spam during Berserk and after Tiger's Fury.

What's the best way to get myself more information on my gameplay? (% uptimes and stuff?) Is that just WoL?

Thank you.

KevinDGAF
Kel'Thuzad

Revered

Re: Mangle vs. Shred

Postby Sibylle » Thu May 16, 2013 7:12 am

I think you're on a very good way there already, and logs really are the way to go for an in-depth analysis.

I'd like to know about the Shred vs. Mangle thing too, as I've just returned to the game after a six-month break and must have missed that change! Would be a little sad to lose Shred as the bread-and-butter CP generator, but heck...

Without logs of course it's hard to tell, but from most advice based on logs that I've seen here (including advice I've received), the most common problems are uptimes. Rake and Rip should be in the high 90s percentage-wise, Savage Roar basically 100% uptime. Most meter addons like Skada or Recount track this too, so you can check for yourself in case you don't have a log just yet.

With DoC, a lot depends on near-perfect execution. I've opted for HotW for these reasons; most fights these days require a lot of my attention for mechanics, target swaps etc., and I start making mistakes then - and experience shows that DoC dps falls behind HotW's very quickly if it's not played flawlessly.

Another common thing these days is Thrash - it seems it's so good at the moment that keeping it up is almost always worth the energy, even single target and without Omen of Clarity proc - unless it interferes with your Rip/Rake/SR uptimes, which is a big no-no.

These a few general things, but they might not apply to you at all - again, it's impossible to say without logs :)

P.S. Best information on gameplay? This forum, hands down. The world's best kitties share their amazingly helpful information here, I've yet to come across top players of other classes/specs who are so generous with their time and effort as the ferals on this forum.
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Revered

Postby ShmooDude » Thu May 16, 2013 10:08 am

Basically, the extra combo points from using mangle (which costs 35 energy vs 40) contributes more damage (from SR/Rip uptime) than shred's hitting harder (shred only hits 20% harder but costs 14.3% more energy, so is only 5% more energy efficient).

Pretty much you shred during berserk or clearcast and mangle the rest of the time.

Postby feralminded » Thu May 16, 2013 10:39 am

I also believe until you get your T15 2 piece shred is the way to go. I personally am a full on 100% mangle convert as its just fun spamming finishers. That said shred is definitely there for when you get a proc and thrash is up or during bloodlust/berserk or at any point you are energy capped.

Switching to Mangle from shred at ~520 iLvL bumped me a solid 5% dps so it's a real thing.
Nosis, GM of Neolutum, always recruiting

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu May 16, 2013 12:51 pm

feralminded wrote:I also believe until you get your T15 2 piece shred is the way to go. I personally am a full on 100% mangle convert as its just fun spamming finishers. That said shred is definitely there for when you get a proc and thrash is up or during bloodlust/berserk or at any point you are energy capped.

Switching to Mangle from shred at ~520 iLvL bumped me a solid 5% dps so it's a real thing.

Based on testing, switching to a mix featuring mostly Mangles was successful at all gear levels. The exceptions for using Shred is during high energy situations (Berserk, OOC proc's with Thrash up).

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu May 16, 2013 1:04 pm

KevinDGAF wrote:Hello Everyone,

First post here.

Welcome!

KevinDGAF wrote:I am a humbled kitty looking for answers. My dps is low. I'm simming 107K SoTF and Doc, and am doing ~75K on the dummy. My ilvl is 503 and of course I am not perfect. I'm thinking about logging myself for some more in-depth advice.

Dummy DPS is not something you should pay attention too. The point of dummies is to refine and practice your rotation. SimC assumes 100% raid buffs, Flask and 300 food. Unless you have all of the above your dummy damage won't look like SimC. So really don't worry to much about it.

KevinDGAF wrote:On to the real reason why I'm posting:
One thing that I've noticed is that Sim C. comes up with, in a 6-9 minute fight, a ratio of 86 Mangles to 27 Shreds.

This has been left me baffled for quite a few days.

Could anybody give me any background information on this?

I'm half-expecting to hear Shred spam during Berserk and after Tiger's Fury.

What's the best way to get myself more information on my gameplay? (% uptimes and stuff?) Is that just WoL?

Thank you.

KevinDGAF
Kel'Thuzad

Shmoo and Feralminded are correct here. Part of it is the higher efficiency end up winning out over slightly higher damage. I say slightly as Shred and Mangle combined usually make up no more then 10% of my total damage. The only thing I have to add to it is, it's not just higher efficiency it's timing. When you need combo points now, you will have a far better chance of getting back up to 5 combos with Mangle when a Rune proc, or Shado-pan proc or DoC (PS really) proc running out. Having that extra flexibility may slightly increase uptime, but it can really increase output of that same uptime.

Honored

Postby cg1351 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:55 am

I know this is an old thread but i just came back from a break last year (quitting on sha hc progress) and am just wondering about mangle vs shred i see you saying your dps went up 5% when you converted and i just got my hands on 2piece t15 and tried mangle spamming except during high energy/berserk/ooc (with thrash already up over 6 seconds) and i dropped 6k dps on a dummy. If mangle is suppose to be better just because of ease of rotation then i'd suggest it to newer ferals but i fail to see how it's a dps increase if you can manage your rotation properly which alot of us better ferals should be able to. Also 107k with 503 simmed wont be with full buffs that'll be selfbuffed so yes 75k is probably quite low.

The argument for more finishers over a long period of time sounds like it could be legit but these finishers still cost energy and the only finisher i think should be taken into account should be fb because rip and sr uptimes should be fine anyways. So does the damage from the few extra fb's taking into account you're losing alot of energy from both parts of the fb equate or do better damage then shredding fulltime? I find the argument for using mangle being worthwhile only usefull if you're shredding mostly and rip is about to drop because you did a risky fb and didnt get a good ooc/crit streak after.

Revered

Postby Steakbomb » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:51 pm

cg1351 wrote:I know this is an old thread but i just came back from a break last year (quitting on sha hc progress) and am just wondering about mangle vs shred i see you saying your dps went up 5% when you converted and i just got my hands on 2piece t15 and tried mangle spamming except during high energy/berserk/ooc (with thrash already up over 6 seconds) and i dropped 6k dps on a dummy. If mangle is suppose to be better just because of ease of rotation then i'd suggest it to newer ferals but i fail to see how it's a dps increase if you can manage your rotation properly which alot of us better ferals should be able to. Also 107k with 503 simmed wont be with full buffs that'll be selfbuffed so yes 75k is probably quite low.

The argument for more finishers over a long period of time sounds like it could be legit but these finishers still cost energy and the only finisher i think should be taken into account should be fb because rip and sr uptimes should be fine anyways. So does the damage from the few extra fb's taking into account you're losing alot of energy from both parts of the fb equate or do better damage then shredding fulltime? I find the argument for using mangle being worthwhile only usefull if you're shredding mostly and rip is about to drop because you did a risky fb and didnt get a good ooc/crit streak after.

Mangle becomes a better option in higher gear levels because of energy regen in heroic gear.

Looking over this past week logs, Mangle did around 7-10% of my damage on each encounter and Shred did 1-2% on them. That's with around 60-70 Mangle uses and around 15 Shred uses. If I were to Shred instead of Mangle, I would probably do around 50 Shreds throughout the fight and do less damage and have less CP's overall.

In your gear level, you might be better off using Shred over Mangle but in 522+ gear Mangle is by far the better choice. Sims are only going to give you a limited amount of Data unless you use a custom move list and Sims almost work under the assumption you are playing perfectly.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:36 pm

cg1351 wrote:The argument for more finishers over a long period of time sounds like it could be legit but these finishers still cost energy and the only finisher i think should be taken into account should be fb because rip and sr uptimes should be fine anyways. So does the damage from the few extra fb's taking into account you're losing alot of energy from both parts of the fb equate or do better damage then shredding fulltime? I find the argument for using mangle being worthwhile only usefull if you're shredding mostly and rip is about to drop because you did a risky fb and didnt get a good ooc/crit streak after.

The bolded part is not exactly true. You need to take SotF into consideration. Every 5 point finisher refunds 20 energy. So a 5 point SR only costs 5 energy, a full FB only costs 30 energy, and Rip only 15. This is HUGE energy savings. SotF will give you more energy then TF does. The extra combo points from 2p T15 will make having more finishers even easier which just gives you more fully powered FB's.
The other thing you need to take into consideration is trinket proc's. If you have Rune it's only a 10 second window. Using Mangle to get to those 5 combo points will make all the difference in getting that Rip buffed. Same with the other trinket procs. Getting enough combo points for a full FB and the energy to power it comes much easier with Mangle. As for your dummy test, unless you had the same trinket uptimes, and timings for both tests, it really is just part of our DPS swing. We are so proc dependent now that I see a 20k dps spread over the same time duration with only a 5% uptime difference with Rune.

Steak, Aggixx has run tests that show Mangle being the primary combo point builder outside of Berserk is actually either a DPS up for DPS neutral for all gear levels this expansion. When you have something that is DPS neutral going the easiest route will always be better because we aren't machines, and using the cheaper energy solution will make messing up easier to recover from. At lower gear levels with less resources it is much easier to mess up.

Revered

Postby Steakbomb » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:19 pm

I have been using Mangle as my primary CP generator since I started doing Heroics last tier. I was unaware that it was DPS up at all gear levels but that's good to know.

I tend to Shred more during the execute phase unless I get procs.

Honored

Postby cg1351 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:51 pm

Steakbomb wrote:Looking over this past week logs, Mangle did around 7-10% of my damage on each encounter and Shred did 1-2% on them. That's with around 60-70 Mangle uses and around 15 Shred uses. If I were to Shred instead of Mangle, I would probably do around 50 Shreds throughout the fight and do less damage and have less CP's overall.

Is this trying to say that the amount of mangles you did would be more damage then shredding without taking into account the extra finishers? Because that would just be wrong.

I've got 522 ilvl with 2 pieces of t15 hc 522 weapon etc, not running rune atm because it sims lower and i don't feel i have enough secondary stats yet to make it worth fitting it into the rotation. I ran a few tests and maybe im just messing this up but like you said its the easier route so i doubt thats the reason im actually doing less dps with mangle spam and its not just our natural swing because im going solid with the same numbers for a good 100 million damage done. I do however think it's good to use mangle when rip is quite low on duration and shredding might not get you there in time or like you said to get a 5cp rip off during the origination proc.

I'd like to see the actual maths behind this being ''5%'' more dps or even 2% dps increase because atm to me it just feels cheesey and not natural after 5 years of shredding. The little bit of napkin math i did find proved the opposite and i've obviously taking sotf into account when i talk about fb costing more then it gives back and am not sure why you keep talking about sotf rip and sr when we discuss more finishers because you wont get more rips or savage roars off compared to shredding if you know what you're doing. So please show me using mangle to get more fb's that cost more energy then they give back doing more dps then shred so i can be at peace :D

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:53 pm

I've got 522 ilvl with 2 pieces of t15 hc 522 weapon etc, not running rune atm because it sims lower and i don't feel i have enough secondary stats yet to make it worth fitting it into the rotation.

Just wondering here what Sim you were using? The reason I ask is because both Catus, and SimC's scripts use the Mangle heavy rotation we are suggesting you run. When Aggixx, and Edgy put the older more traditional Shred always it was either DPS neutral (lower gear levels) or a DPS up at high levels.

Please feel free to post the napkin math that is showing why using Shred is so much more noticeable then using Mangle.

Honored

Postby cg1351 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:53 pm

Simcraft and i know it's saying to use the mangle rotation that's got nothing to do with what i mentioned when i spoke about simming though. And sure i'll look for it cant remember where it was though. You got the maths for mangle being better then shred?

So is it literally just people testing mangle on sims and it showing more dps or has anyone sat down and thought about it or?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8568990329 That's all i could find besides this thread. It's probably not that accurate hence me asking here for the actual math.

Revered

Postby Stenhaldi » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:38 pm

cg1351 wrote:I'd like to see the actual maths behind this being ''5%'' more dps or even 2% dps increase because atm to me it just feels cheesey and not natural after 5 years of shredding. The little bit of napkin math i did find proved the opposite and i've obviously taking sotf into account when i talk about fb costing more then it gives back and am not sure why you keep talking about sotf rip and sr when we discuss more finishers because you wont get more rips or savage roars off compared to shredding if you know what you're doing. So please show me using mangle to get more fb's that cost more energy then they give back doing more dps then shred so i can be at peace :D

Eliminate the combo points in this system of equations and you obtain an effective DPE value for shred, assuming the CP are used on 50-energy ferocious bite.

shred average damage + (1+crit) CP = 40 energy
ferocious bite average damage = 5 CP + 30 energy (with sotf)

Then do the same with mangle:

mangle average damage + (1+crit) CP = 35 energy
ferocious bite average damage = 5 CP + 30 energy (with sotf)

I've done this comparison in my own gear at various points in the expansion and it's always been basically a tie between mangle and shred. Of course, this neglects DoC (which would make mangle stronger). It also neglects that mangle might make it easier to keep rip up (especially with trinket procs), and it neglects any wasted combo points. But the idea is to show that even if those combo points are being used on the worst finisher, mangle's additional CP generation is still enough to make it equal with shred.

Honored

Postby cg1351 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:51 pm

but they shouldn't ever be used on a finisher other then fb as it's more then possible to keep sr and rip up shredding is what im saying so what's the direct dps gain/loss by using mangle (losing damage on generator, gaining damage thru fb's that cost you 30 energy after sotf). Please try and give me some actual figures so i can decide for myself :) ofc take doc into account as you'll have a few more up but not that many.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:08 pm

Don't forget trinket procs. There are times when you need to refresh Rip in a big hurry because all of a sudden you have 30k more mastery, and 5k more agility than when you applied it last and you only have a 10 second window. The damage boost you get out of that new buffed Rip if you apply it in time will make up for the minor difference between what ever combo point builders you used to get there.

Now so far you have given antidotal evidence ("When I try Mangle my dps goes down). Please post some of these logs so we can compare them and see if we notice something you haven't.

Revered

Postby Stenhaldi » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:24 pm

With the power of the trinket procs this tier it's very possible to end up recasting rip even while it still has plenty of duration remaining, so I don't agree with the notion that those extra CP are only spent on ferocious bite. Actual figures? Well this is what I have in my spreadsheet, which is probably using my own gear (absent procs) from some time in the recent past. Note that mangle and shred scale worse than ferocious bite with agility procs, so if I included procs it would push mangle farther ahead.

mangle average damage = 84520
shred average damage = 101423
ferocious bite average damage (50 energy) = 222816
mangle/shred CP generation = 1+crit = 1.475

mangle effective DPE = 3564
shred effective DPE = 3546
Last edited by Stenhaldi on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Honored

Postby cg1351 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:25 pm

Yes to a degree clipping etc will be worth it if the damage buff is worth losing the ticks of rip im not new to feral ive raided at the very very top end as feral but just came back from a long break . This anidotal evidence you speak of goes both ways all i've done is ask for the maths which you haven't provided once.. This just feels like a ''lets make feral easier to do decent dps on'' rather then a ''lets make these ferals better'' decision to me. And i've already stated several times i can agree with using mangle situationally in a fight just not as a main cp generator it's good to mix but with shred as a main generator unless you can provide the math showing the dps gain from the extra 2-4 fbs(costing 30 energy each after sotf) and doc procs outweighing the dps gain from shredding. Remember i'm agreeing to use mangle in certain situations so you'll have extra cp generation from this already.

Share this spreadsheet plz.

Honored

Postby cg1351 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Steakbomb wrote:Looking over this past week logs, Mangle did around 7-10% of my damage on each encounter and Shred did 1-2% on them. That's with around 60-70 Mangle uses and around 15 Shred uses. If I were to Shred instead of Mangle, I would probably do around 50 Shreds throughout the fight and do less damage and have less CP's overall.

Let's assume 60 mangles and 15 shreds using mangle, you'd do 67.5 shreds. You'd miss ~8 cps (1 full fb and 3cps extra) and lose 254507 damage from generators using stenhaldi's values (will obviously change for everyone based on gear etc) ofc you get the extra fb reducing the damage loss to 31691 but at the cost of 30 energy so let's say 72445 damage basing it off of mangles damage-energy ratio, bringing the damage loss up to 104136. Then you got doc procs to take into account.

I guess this would just be about how you use the procs but assuming you're filling with mangle you're gonna lose overall damage if you use any of these procs on mangle as its less damage. Realistically not every single proc is gonna go on rake rip and fb.

This is probably unnaccurate but its just napkin math and its late :D
Last edited by cg1351 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Revered

Postby Stenhaldi » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:08 pm

cg1351 wrote:Share this spreadsheet plz.

Shrug, here it is.

feral dpe.zip
(4.09 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

It's pretty simplistic and I never intended that it be used by anyone other than me, so don't expect much documentation. You should really just use simulationcraft instead unless you know what you're doing.

Honored

Postby cg1351 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Stenhaldi wrote:
cg1351 wrote:Share this spreadsheet plz.

Shrug, here it is.

feral dpe.zip

It's pretty simplistic and I never intended that it be used by anyone other than me, so don't expect much documentation. You should really just use simulationcraft instead unless you know what you're doing.

Cheers. Yeh i know you're saying mangle sims ahead but all the napkin math im doing shows a dps loss even taking the doc procs into account, it's not much but it's something and like we all know simcraft assumes perfect play which isn't possible even for the best of us ferals and we can still use mangle when needed to get these buffed rips out there etc. The fbs and doc procs just aint coming out ahead outside of this scenario with my maths.

Revered

Postby Steakbomb » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:28 pm

60(Mangles) * 84520(Avg Dmg)= 5071200
15(Shreds) * 101423(Avg Dmg)= 1521345
Total Damage = 6592545
75 CP(without Crit procs)
~105 CP(with 40% crit chance)

67(Shreds) * 101423(Avg Dmg)= 6795341
67 CP(without Crit procs)
~94 CP(with 40% crit chance)

Ferocious Bite Avg Dmg (50 energy) = 222816

Now going off the 8 CP difference without crit procs:
Damage difference before any FB= -202796
Damage difference with 1 extra FB= +20020

That basic math shows that Mangle is a DPS increase overall

Now if you include crit procs 11 CP extra based on 40% crit which is very low in a raid enviroment:
Damage difference with 2 extra FB= +242836

Basic math shows Mangle is clearly the better CP generator for a fight.

This was using Stenhaldi's values on avg dmg.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:44 pm

cg1351 wrote:
Cheers. Yeh i know you're saying mangle sims ahead but all the napkin math im doing shows a dps loss even taking the doc procs into account, it's not much but it's something and like we all know simcraft assumes perfect play which isn't possible even for the best of us ferals and we can still use mangle when needed to get these buffed rips out there etc. The fbs and doc procs just aint coming out ahead outside of this scenario with my maths.

Show this napkin math.

Honored

Postby cg1351 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:25 am

Steakbomb wrote:60(Mangles) * 84520(Avg Dmg)= 5071200
15(Shreds) * 101423(Avg Dmg)= 1521345
Total Damage = 6592545
75 CP(without Crit procs)
~105 CP(with 40% crit chance)

67(Shreds) * 101423(Avg Dmg)= 6795341
67 CP(without Crit procs)
~94 CP(with 40% crit chance)

Ferocious Bite Avg Dmg (50 energy) = 222816

Now going off the 8 CP difference without crit procs:
Damage difference with 1 extra FB= +20020

That basic math shows that Mangle is a DPS increase overall

Now if you include crit procs 11 CP extra based on 40% crit which is very low in a raid enviroment:
Damage difference with 2 extra FB= +242836

Basic math shows Mangle is clearly the better CP generator for a fight.

This was using Stenhaldi's values on avg dmg.

Both these fb's cost you 30 energy after sotf and i think the gear levels to reach 40% crit in raid would show higher average damage on both which will bring shred damage ahead because of it doing more damage to begin with. I'm probably wrong just throwing my two cents in.

And wayyy too tired now :D

Exalted

Postby raffy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:31 am

In the sims, Mangle and Shred come out pretty close, so we've been encouraging people to use Mangle, since it's significantly easier to execute the rotation in a progression setting.

Using Catus (v14, still unreleased), I simulate the following:
Code: Select all
Shred-only: 243.3K
Mangle/Shred: 242.9K (simc rotation)
Mangle-only: 241.0K

Spoiler: show
Shred-only
Code: Select all
Name                                  Occ      Avg     Crit     Perc
Rip`5#                           10436714   127045   42.80%   24.15%
Rake#                             7488157   138704   43.32%   18.92%
Melee                            29290885    35435   45.61%   18.91%