Register

Xuen challenge - for cloak.

Face-rippin fun.

Xuen challenge - for cloak.

Postby CóladaEU » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:41 pm

I've posted on the WoW forums for help, and haven't had much advice/tips.

I'm really struggling on this fight, i've tried to cc ads, kite, dps them down but they manage to catch up in the end and rape me.

The best try i've had was 4% but now I get to the 2nd image phase and the adds/blast destroy me.

I'm pulling my hair out with this. Can anyone please give me some pointers on beating this?

I've got 533 ilvl so I know it's do-able, i'm literally getting pissed off..meh

Exalted

Re: Xuen challenge - for cloak.

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:55 pm

Are you talking about the little oozes? I wouldn't recommend CC as they will split up and you need to do as much AOE to them as possible. What I did was run to the other side of the room and give them a little time to group up. Then I used NS to give me DoC charges and I hit them with a Thrash and a Swipe and ran away again. You can't sit and damage them like normal, you just have to keep moving. When you do start to run away again use strafe at first before turning your back to run away. Let Thrash do some damage and then repeat when you have the energy to do the Thrash/Swipe. Make sure SR doesn't fall off while doing this. It also helps if you have a warlock friend hook you up with a cookie before going in. I don't know if Symbiosis will work during the challenge (I didn't try) but it might be worth a shot for a survivability cooldown.

For the shooty adds I sued typhoon on the closest ones to try and group more up. The more you are able to kill before the first cast the better. Don't forget to use Barkskin and SI as needed (The SI glyph can help a bunch here).

Postby CóladaEU » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:19 pm

Did you use DoC for this or HoTW?

Someone said to take a good look at talents, as in there is a choice whether you live or die..?

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:30 pm

I took DoC here, but that was really just because it is my preferred style of play. I don't see a reason why taking HotW would put you at a disadvantage.

While I have no idea if this will work, you could try using HotW and Ursols Vortex to try and group the adds for a buffed hurricane. You would have to be VERY careful that you got them all so you would have to kite for them to group up before putting down the vortex. You could only do it once so you would have to be ready to kill them the normal way when they spawn a second time.

Postby CóladaEU » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:48 pm

Yeah, I prefer running with DoC too.

I'll try what you suggested in the first post with the oozes. It seems that it's not much of a DPS race, more of a survival fight.

I've had a break from previous tries, so I'll go again. Like I said the best try I had was 4% and that was with using Entangling roots on the oozes. Sometimes, I've had the fight bug out and have someone else's encounter in mine. Hoped that they would of helped, but they didn't. ^^

Revered

Postby Dysheki » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:50 pm

Doesn't typhoon work too? I don't really remember for sure, just saying.

Postby CóladaEU » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:11 pm

Thank you so much Tinderhoof.

I used your suggestion about using the trash + swipe with buffed DoC...and it worked.

I was low on health around 4%, but a healing potion saved me and popped Tigers Fury and got the last 4% down.

These forums are more helpful than the WoW ones. ^^

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:25 pm

Gratz! We are one big Feral family here.

Postby Ayleena » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:36 am

Thanks for some of the tips here! I just did this fight tonight at 517 ilevel. The hardest thing for me was the mirror image. I saved berserk for that and ran in a circle spamming swipe. It was kind of RNG - if you got the right image before berserk wore off. On the blobs I ran to the other side of the room to get them grouped up, like Tinderhoof said, and ran past them with a Thrash/Swipe, then repeated till they died. I just had to survive that and the mirror and I could actually heal myself up on Wrathion with PS procs.

There was one point in the fight at 13% where I was out of energy on the third wave of mirrors, with blobs chasing me, and my first swipe got them. Like I said, some lucky RNG on those.

Postby somniture » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:59 pm

For anyone struggling with the Xuen challenge, keep in mind that druids can actually perform any of the challenges, and that you can choose any of the cloaks no matter which challenge you did. I found the tank challenge considerably easier on my ret paladin, using all the same gear except the weapon/shield. Your current specialization determines which challenge you can accept. Obviously if you have good resto or balance gear, you can try those too.

Postby Qualiti » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:47 am

I finally got my cloak! If you have enough gear you can just kill him before he does any of his abilities! 375k DPS, poor guy :D

Postby Calth » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:56 pm

I've fought with this fight for a few days now. Don't even want to know how much I've spent in repairs and have nothing to show for it. I simply cannot do enough AoE damage to the oozes to kill them in time and still get some time on the Prince. Which is ridiculous, since I'm i524. I got him down to just over 1M HP once, with a berserk coming off CD and thought I had it. Nope, here's two sets of oozes for you and a prince that won't move out of his flame pool! Any other tips?

I'm interrupting everything I can. Stunning him with Maim even. DoC enhanced bleeds on him and oozes (Thrash/swipe). Popping defence CDs as needed. Berserk to zerg the oozes about half way through, hoping to catch clones as well. Swiping the correct group of clones (the one not quite transparent).... Just feel that Thrash bleeds aren't nearly enough to kill those oozes, and rooting them doesn't help since our roots are uselessly voided when the target takes damage.

Honored

Postby baver » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:46 pm

Cant you just use hotw and outheal the adds while you aoe and dps boss ? maby even go bearform would be a good option if they dont do magical damage just to keep the dps up

Postby Calth » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:33 pm

The adds start doing insane damage if they don't die fast enough. They also increase in speed so you can't just outrun them. And HotW will only have decent heals once, every 6 minutes. The 6% Int buff is fine, if you have time to cast multiple heals. MAYBE the addition will help Rejuvenation more, but losing the DoC buffed attacks will kill my dps.

Site Admin

Postby Alaron » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:57 pm

I wrote a guide on this for WoW Insider about a month ago:

http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/06/25/getti ... ssings-as/

Don't miss the tip about getting the Celestial Offerings buff, it's quite helpful.

As for feral specifics, I used my normal build (HOTW/SOTF), and focused on trying to anticipate ooze timers so I could have a full energy pool + TF when they were up, which usually gave me enough AoE to burn them down. Used HOTW for the mirror images to heal to full between each "wave." Still took me 15 pulls to beat at ilvl 520.

Once I finish that, switched my second spec to tank, kept all the same gear + everything, and knocked that challenge over in 5 pulls. Much easier.

Postby Ayleena » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:39 pm

The biggest thing for the fight is patience. Hit the oozes with a thrash/swipe once and run past them to the other side of the room. Wait for them to come after you, then do it again. It's not a dps race. With feral swiftness, you should be able to stay ahead of them at all times. For ferals, space is your ally. You can use dash or stampede if you have to, especially if you have oozes and mirrors at the same time. I did it at ilevel 217 in about 15 pulls (maybe 2 hours of working on it), so it's not impossible.

Honored

Postby teddabear » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:34 am

For me the biggest issue was making 100% sure you are behind Wrathion which is a pita because he likes to turn towards you a lot. Especially when you need to apply bleeds before you run from the adds. At first I wasn't doing this because it meant I had to stand in the fire but after I convinced myself that standing in the fire was a good thing it only took a couple more tries.

Postby Calth » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:53 am

Well I finally managed to beat him in the melee challenge. Took advice here and switched to HotW and didn't try to maximize damage at all times, instead conserving energy for Thrash/Swipes and popping as many heals as I had time for. Of course, RNG was in my favour towards the end when I hit Wrathion for a 1.5M damage Ferocious Bite...

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:11 am

Just to confirm: It doesn't matter which challenge I choose, is that true? I don't have to do the melee challenge and can still get the melee cloak?
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Postby Eniel » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:50 am

That's correct,you have to beat any of the challenges to get any cloak of your choosing,you pick which one when you're finished.

Postby Calth » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:23 am

Just to add, you can purchase any of the other cloaks afterwards as well. 7000G I believe.

EDIT: 7K, not 4K.

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:45 pm

Thanks. Not that I'm anywhere near that stage anyway, I currently have 4/20 Secrets, at this rate the expac will be over by the time I get my cloak :lol: Although they did mention a catch-up mechanic in 5.4, here's hoping.
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Return to Kitty DPS