Register

Proving Grounds Setup

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Revered

Proving Grounds Setup

Postby Alpheus » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:14 pm

So since proving grounds scales your gear down we have a ton of set bonuses, trinkets and weapons to choose from and I was wondering what everyone is running with (if you're using a different set that is).

Revered

Re: Proving Grounds Setup

Postby Tremnen » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:12 pm

I was under the impression it worked like challenge modes where Legendary Meta Gem / Tier bonuses / Legendary Cloak proc all are disabled. If it works like Challenge modes to be truly optimal you will need a new helmet at the very least. that said I have heard from guildies that if you are a raider getting a gold ranking shouldnt be difficult in the slightest.

Revered

Postby Alpheus » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:00 pm

Tremnen wrote:I was under the impression it worked like challenge modes where Legendary Meta Gem / Tier bonuses / Legendary Cloak proc all are disabled. If it works like Challenge modes to be truly optimal you will need a new helmet at the very least. that said I have heard from guildies that if you are a raider getting a gold ranking shouldnt be difficult in the slightest.

Yeh the gold ranks are pretty trivial, I was just thinking what the best 2set/4set would be for getting really far into endless. And yeh, it works like challenge modes mostly, the legendary meta is disabled, 4sets aren't. The cloak uhm... no idea, should proc.

Edit: apparently set bonuses don't work either

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:16 am

yeah its just like CM's

So gem slots > ilvl meaning my 502 megara necklace would be better than my 535 timeless amulet. This is because gems do not get reduced stats. This is also true for weapons. My 543 ToT polearm is better than my new Immerseus polearm because it has 2 gem sockets to my new pole arm's 1.

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:17 am

oh and the sha touched gem is also disabled so don't break out your gao-rei's

Revered

Postby ShmooDude » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:04 pm

Tremnen wrote:yeah its just like CM's

So gem slots > ilvl meaning my 502 megara necklace would be better than my 535 timeless amulet. This is because gems do not get reduced stats. This is also true for weapons. My 543 ToT polearm is better than my new Immerseus polearm because it has 2 gem sockets to my new pole arm's 1.

Wow, that's a pretty big fail on Blizzard's part... The math on that is extremely easy (gems count as 160 out of the budget) and should be easy to account for (just take an extra 160 out of either primary or secondaries), makes me wonder if there's some programmatic reason behind the scenes they don't.

Revered

Postby Alpheus » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:51 pm

ShmooDude wrote:
Tremnen wrote:yeah its just like CM's

Wow, that's a pretty big fail on Blizzard's part... The math on that is extremely easy (gems count as 160 out of the budget) and should be easy to account for (just take an extra 160 out of either primary or secondaries), makes me wonder if there's some programmatic reason behind the scenes they don't.

It's probably the attachment of the gem, not so much how strong the gem is (ie. the same reason different scaled procs have different spell IDs). By the same logic enchants and armor patches aren't scaled either. As for the gear itself, I found it extremely tedious to play with Rune on such a low item level (not to mention the reduced proc rate) so I've been trying to gather up as many socketed items as possible to fill them with agility and reforge to mastery. Probably going to use Renataki and Juju (or bottle from elegon) once I get my hands on a couple more.

This is most likely the reason why feral druids are so under-represented on wowprogress endless rankings.

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:31 pm

BIS challenge mode trinkets used to be Rentaki + Darkmoon Faire trinket. I bet it would be the same for proving grounds. The new Cleave trinket is probably better than Rentaki for CMs now though.

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:30 pm

Tremnen wrote:The new Cleave trinket is probably better than Rentaki for CMs now though.

I wouldn't be so sure, it has a pretty abysmal proc rate when scaled all the way down to 463.

Return to Kitty DPS