Register

SoO - Thok the Bloodthirsty 11/14

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Exalted

SoO - Thok the Bloodthirsty 11/14

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:29 pm

This topic is for discussing Feral DPS tactics, monk tactics and/or general raid strategies for the Thok the Bloodthirsty encounter.

Please feel free to post tips, tricks, videos or ask questions. I will do my best to keep the top post updated with information as it arrives.

When discussing, please mention raid size (10/25) and difficulty (normal/heroic).

Re: SoO - Thok the Bloodthirsty 11/14

Postby Spanja » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:21 pm

In 10m, I used NV to help healing the raid (HotW tranq is useless because you are silent) and soul swap to focus adds and swap dots to the boss

Exalted

Postby Stenhaldi » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:37 pm

Note that you can still tranq if you take symbiosis divine shield (though you could potentially get the last tick interrupted).

Revered

Postby Steakbomb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:54 pm

Another option for Tranq on this fight is have a Pally use Devo Aura? I think that's what it is. The Physical Dmg reducer which prevents silence so you can get a good amount of your Tranq off. Worked on our kill for me last night.

Revered

Postby Alpheus » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:54 pm

We just rotated healer cooldowns and delayed opening the cage so we could get more ranged dps on Thok before transitioning. Other than that try to get a strong opening and get off a strong bleed before you transition into kiting.

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:12 am

I took Soul Swap and made sure to have a fresh set of bleeds on the jailer as it was about to die so I could quickly ran up and swap them onto the boss.

Postby Millerr » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:08 pm

FON is pretty handy on this fight for getting a little extra damage on the boss while he's fixating on players. I would recommend a pally bubble on this fight in case you get a debuff and are separated from your healers.

Revered

Postby Alpheus » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:37 pm

Millerr wrote:FON is pretty handy on this fight for getting a little extra damage on the boss while he's fixating on players. I would recommend a pally bubble on this fight in case you get a debuff and are separated from your healers.

But you need to be hitting the jailer to proc your trinkets so you can use FoN efficiently. If you're spamming it passively on Thok then you're losing more dps from not having SotF on phase 1 than you're gaining by extra "activity".

Postby Millerr » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:34 pm

Alpheus wrote:But you need to be hitting the jailer to proc your trinkets so you can use FoN efficiently. If you're spamming it passively on Thok then you're losing more dps from not having SotF on phase 1 than you're gaining by extra "activity".

obviously you keep damage on the jailor as normal which gives trinket/dancing steel procs (the fon treants have a 40 yard range). Also I'm not quite sure what you mean by spamming, I used FON by keeping one charge on cooldown and saving the other two for procs. I should mention my technique is pretty comp specific and really only seemed to work well with short on boss phases which required more damage during fixate phases to compensate.

Revered

Postby Steakbomb » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:06 pm

To keep my damage high I DPS'd the Jailer down and we delayed each door so I ran back to boss and kept on him until he was about to fixate. I ran a bit out of range until he picked a new target and then kept on him. Move of of his path to the door adds and just stick to him.

Exalted

Postby Stenhaldi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:20 pm

I think it's a bit of a waste to attack the jailer at all, even if it's a personal DPS gain. Feral is one of the classes best suited for sustaining damage on Thok during the kite phase (I outdamaged every other class, including ranged, on Thok himself by a pretty wide margin on our kill). Let the tanks and less mobile melee (or those that rely more on sustained melee range) deal with the jailer. They'll kill it with time to spare anyway.

You can melee Thok from the side while he's fixating. The only times you need to be out of melee range are a) the moment the fixate begins and b) a second or two after the fixate ends.

To be specific, notice there are two fixate casts: the initial cast, where he's standing still, and the spell he channels as he's moving. You want to be out of melee range at both the beginning and the end of the initial cast only. All other times are safe.
Last edited by Stenhaldi on Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:25 pm

I guess you're talking 25man here? Because in our 10man raid, it's me and a ret pally and a tank, and we pretty much kill the jailer while the ranged stay on Thok. It means long pauses for us though, whilst Thok is on the other end of the room and it's just not worth running to him while he might turn around and fixate on me next... I'm probably not seeing something, but I can't keep up with him for long either when I run alongside him hitting him, after all I shouldn't get behind him, and I use my speed buffs for kiting.
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Exalted

Postby Stenhaldi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:30 pm

Yeah I'm talking about 25 heroic.

Also I'm fairly certain he won't fixate you if you're close enough. In all of our attempts, I never got fixated -- except for one time after my internet connection failed mid-attempt (so presumably I wasn't near him).

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:34 pm

Stenhaldi wrote:Yeah I'm talking about 25 heroic.

Also I'm fairly certain he won't fixate you if you're close enough. In all of our attempts, I never got fixated -- except for one time after my internet connection failed mid-attempt (so presumably I wasn't near him).

I'll try keeping up with him for a little longer next time, after the jailer is dead :) Thanks!
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Exalted

Postby Stenhaldi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:48 pm

Keep in mind he speeds up over time, so if you wait until the jailer is dead, you'll have the hardest time keeping up.

Also I forgot to mention: if you're meleeing Thok during kite phase, make sure your raid members give warning before they use a threat-drop ability like feign death, vanish, or shadowmeld. If they use such an ability, Thok will instantly turn around to fixate someone else -- probably killing anyone in melee range.

Postby Yriss » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:15 am

Stenhaldi wrote:Also I'm fairly certain he won't fixate you if you're close enough. In all of our attempts, I never got fixated -- except for one time after my internet connection failed mid-attempt (so presumably I wasn't near him).

We kept the jailer near him during kiting phase (at least at the beginning) to avoid to have a fixate, there is certainly a minimum ranged.
Sadly i'm ask to specifically focus the jailer for a quick down, it's difficult to keep my bleeds on thok after this (i took divine shield +hotw to add a good tranquility on frost phase, no interrupt or ice tomb thx to divine shield... and no execute ffs !) ....

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:02 pm

I did run with him and managed to keep up for a little today AFTER killing the Jailer. Managed to put up a good Rip before he got ahead.
-Sibylle

Honored

Postby mekell » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:52 am

How many fixates do you guys find you use before letting the prisoners free? (how many fixates before hes too fast for people to effectively kite him?).

Honored

Postby Paloro » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:20 am

mekell wrote:How many fixates do you guys find you use before letting the prisoners free? (how many fixates before hes too fast for people to effectively kite him?).

On heroic we did 5 full fixates and then part of a 6th.

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:45 am

Has anything changed in the last two weeks? Suddenly I get killed when I run alongside him in phase 2. I could swear I'm not in front nor behind him...
-Sibylle

Honored

Postby mekell » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:54 am

Could be a lag issue Sib. We are having tons of trouble in our 10 man raid with similar issues on other bosses. I am not sure if its server side, or an addon people are using or what, but last night especially was horrendous for several people

While we werent on thok last night, i have run beside him many times and dpsed during fixate. Just have to be careful to run out as the timer is about for the next cast.

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:53 pm

Thanks. Yes, I have had weird lag issues even when I seemed to still have my usual 33ms both home and world. Maybe that's it.

By the way, according to people here in the forum you won't get targeted by fixate when you're very close to the boss. I can carefully confirm that, it hasn't happened yet when I was next to him :)
-Sibylle

Honored

Postby RareBeast » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:09 pm

Got our first normal kill last night 3 healing with me as the 3rd healer. We made the decision for no melee on the boss during kiting due to people dieing. Mind you, we are an Aussie guild so we all play with 2-400+ ms ping.

Postby Knuet » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:20 am

Are you guys picking feral swiftness to keep at boss in p2 or displacer beast?
I'm a little bit worried without db to get away fast out of any trouble :)

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:56 am

Knuet wrote:Are you guys picking feral swiftness to keep at boss in p2 or displacer beast?
I'm a little bit worried without db to get away fast out of any trouble :)

Neither (I like charging the Jailer too much), and I never had a problem. If I'm one of the later fixates, I'll pop a Dash or Stampeding Roar, but he's never once been even close to catching up with me. Us ferals are naturally fast ;)
-Sibylle

Next

Return to Boss Archives