Register

Yet another help my dps

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Yet another help my dps

Postby Beatrix » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi guys,

I would like a bit of advice regarding my talent choices.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/b ... oon/simple

Right now, my raid group is starting with flex and normal SoO and while my dps can be pretty good (between 100-125k on average and sometimes much higher depending on the fights and mechanics or course) I feel it could be better. RNG hates me and I have not been very Lucky with drops (particulary the weapon) I am usually 1st or 2nd in dps and am often competing against another kitty who has an iLevel of over 535. So I figure that I am doing ok if I can beat or equal another kitty that has almost 20 iLevel points on me.

I am going with HoTW for progression because I feel that DoC might be a bit harder for me to pull off correctly and HoTW is more forgiving with small mistakes. Are my glyphs and talent choices the better ones for progression and dps?

I use Ovale with the Nieren Leafkiller script so I am pretty confident that the rotation is ok but I am really not certain with my choices or talents or major glyphs. Could you please give me some pointers?

Re: Yet another help my dps

Postby óak » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Hey Beatrix,

First off you need Glyph of Savagery. It allows you to use Savage Roar with 0 combo points for a duration of 12 seconds. This means you can always have 100% uptime on Savage Roar, you say your DPS between 100-125k your weapon is affecting that without doubt, but it does still sound a little low. You are using Savage Roar right?

HoTW and SotF are also good, don't change them unless you are certain you can pull off the DoC rotation.

If you can, try and get hold of a Rune of Re-Origination (Drops from Lei Shen). It's by far the best Feral trinket, even through 5.4. The LFR version is worth having, If you can get the normal version then even better.

Just as a general tip, start running Heroic Scenarios daily, if you aren't already. The 516 weapons from those aren't bad, and are a vast improvement on your current weapon.

Also what is the name of other kitty you are doing simlar DPS to? If he's at 535 ilevel and your nearly beating him, he's doing something very wrong. 535 ilevel is 170k DPS if you know what you're doing.

Oh! and get down to doing your legendary quest. You really want that cape.

Cheers
-Óak

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:29 pm

you really really need a new weapon. You should try and kill Horridon every week in a PuG on Openraid badly need a new weapon. I hope you are also coining Immersues you need a weapon lol.

try to get some LFR/Deeper in flex in. You want tier pieces as soon as possible and flex has already opened the way to getting your 2 piece (1 off sha and one off Nazgrim) LFR will have both wings open this week.

that chest / trinket combo is KILLING YOU on Hit rating / wasted stats. Also that Glinting Gem would be better off as Agi/Stam than Agi/Hit when you are over the hit cap like this.

Hard to judge DPS without logs. But no Glyph of Savage Roar is a big no no grab that ASAP.

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:30 pm

Edit: Oh and talents look good from here. Yes you could use some other talents to squeeze out some more dps but these make the rotation easier for not a HUGE dps decrease.

Revered

Postby Stenhaldi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:37 pm

Glyph of Savagery really isn't as important as people make it out to be. There are a few fights where it's really nice to have -- fights with downtime mainly, like Blackfuse if you're doing the assembly line, or Thok if you're looking to sustain damage on him in the kite phase. Otherwise, it's just a minor convenience. Even if you happen to let savage roar drop, it's not a big deal to just cast a mangle and then reapply it with 1-2 CP.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:59 pm

With your gear and your skill this is true. For someone who is raiding flex only at this time it is going to be DPS loss. Once you get to a point you are comfortable with the rotation you could experiment with dropping it and see if you like the feel of not having it.

Revered

Postby Stenhaldi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:59 pm

I would argue that the difference, if there is one, is not skill or gear but knowledge. Being familiar with the numbers, I'm fine with letting savage roar drop for a few seconds. I know that it's no big deal if I have to cast a mangle that's not buffed by savage roar.

Honored

Postby inferiorlol » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:33 pm

Stenhaldi wrote:I would argue that the difference, if there is one, is not skill or gear but knowledge. Being familiar with the numbers, I'm fine with letting savage roar drop for a few seconds. I know that it's no big deal if I have to cast a mangle that's not buffed by savage roar.

Say you are at 3-4 CP and have quite a lot of energy and have 1-2 seconds left on SR. Would you Mangle up to 5 CP and SR even though it meant that maybe one of your mangles and a few autoattacks would not be buffed by SR?

Exalted

Postby raffy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:00 pm

Catus almost never benefits from Savagery beyond the initial use. In 5.3, it was assumed that this was due to 2pT15, but it is true for both 2pT16+offset and 4pT16. Unfortunately, you can only see this statistic via the Combat Log > "SR Glyph Use = X" and not averaged across a large group of sims (will be in next release.)

That said, since our direct damage attacks aren't our majority source of damage, there is nothing wrong dropping Savagery if you want to use a different glyph setup.

However, if you find yourself using 0cp Roars multiple times during a fight, I'd recommend changing your rotation to avoid that situation, especially if you're using SotF.

IMO, the choice of Glyph of Savagery depends on a lot on your opener, which varies with DoC and the presence of 4pT16. The same would be true if there is excessive movement or idle time during the encounter.

I always use Savagery even though my # of uses per fight is low. The rest of the glyphs aren't compelling enough: Savagery + Cat Form + (Stampeding Roar or Shred).

Revered

Postby Stenhaldi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:11 pm

Yeah I use savagery unless I need stampeding roar -- which is pretty frequently.

Say you are at 3-4 CP and have quite a lot of energy and have 1-2 seconds left on SR. Would you Mangle up to 5 CP and SR even though it meant that maybe one of your mangles and a few autoattacks would not be buffed by SR?

Probably just refresh savage roar there. The more typical situation where savage roar might drop is if I have combo points pooled and savage roar is running out, but then a trinket procs and I use those combo points on rip instead.

Honored

Postby Cetlysm » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:30 pm

As DoC I would get a 5cp roar for a 100% PS, and the longer SR would also reduce the chances of trinkets proc syncing with SR about to fall (talking renataki and RoRo here)
I might not do this if set 2 procs though, not entirely sure, maybe I would get as many cp possible and then refresh SR with whatever cp I have to avoid missing on a hard hitting shred or mangle.
ImageImage

Postby Beatrix » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:45 am

sorry for the late reply, but I have tried out your suggestions and they are a great help. Ihave been running Horridon and LeiShen avery week but my luck is rotten always gold for me!

As for the cloak the same rng luck is plaguing me! but the good news is I only 7 secrets to go...

thanks and I will keep you posted. I will try to get a log up for you guys to analyze.

thanks again and cheers!

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:27 pm

i meant throne of thunder normal. not LFR. There are plenty of people on OpenRaid doing mount runs. Join one of those and bring some Mogu Coins. You can buy them off the Timeless coin vendor on the new island. EVen if you only run the first 6 bosses there is a ton of loot on those bosses that are upgrades for you and they arent hard anymore after the nerfs.

Postby Beatrix » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:27 am

Finally got both the rune and the Lei Shen weapon - LFR versions - but better than nothing I guess!

Is the Timeless Isle Trinket - Discipline of Xuen - any good? Is it still worse than Rune even at 535 iLevel? The same rotten luck plagues me with the Burdens of Eternity, only have the 2 that come from the Blazing chest and the Reputation quest one, I used one to upgrade a set of leggings and the other I will hold on to until I make up my mind on whether to blow it on the ring or the cloak. I know, I know, I am running the raids to get the secrets and then the Runestone for the Legendary cloak but it will take a while...

If the timeless coin Trinket is any good I will save them up to buy it (about another 10K to go to get to 50K). If not I will blow them on the monkey chest and hope for a few Burden or 2. (there is nothing wrong with hoping my RNG luck changes for the better right?)

Let me know what you think. Oh and I will switch the orange gem to a red one, I keep forgetting to do that :oops:

Thanks again for all the help. :)

Return to Kitty DPS