Register

SoO - Norushen 3/14

These strats will give you a 32.33% chance of survival...repeating, of course.
Exalted
User avatar
Posts: 1394
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 10:21 pm

SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:22 pm

This topic is for discussing Feral DPS tactics, monk tactics and/or general raid strategies for the Norushen encounter.

Please feel free to post tips, tricks, videos or ask questions. I will do my best to keep the top post updated with information as it arrives.

When discussing, please mention raid size (10/25) and difficulty (normal/heroic).

Revered
User avatar
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:51 am
Location: Ireland

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby Sibylle » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:20 pm

I need some serious help here.

It's embarrassing, but I didn't manage to completely purify myself in the test realm. The way we handle it is, our mage goes to purify first, we kill his big ad and I soak the void sphere so I'm at 100 corruption. Then I go to purify next, so I have a full 100 corruption to get rid of.

I killed the big ad fairly quickly, had cleaved the first small add and got that down too, but from then on in I was always starved for energy and auto-attacking for what seemed like forever until I had enough for a special attack.

Tiger's Fury was available twice, but every time (we had quite a few tries before killing this one) I ran out of time before killing enough ads to get to zero.
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Revered
User avatar
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:19 am

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby Alpheus » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:06 am

Sibylle wrote:I need some serious help here.

It's embarrassing, but I didn't manage to completely purify myself in the test realm. The way we handle it is, our mage goes to purify first, we kill his big ad and I soak the void sphere so I'm at 100 corruption. Then I go to purify next, so I have a full 100 corruption to get rid of.

I killed the big ad fairly quickly, had cleaved the first small add and got that down too, but from then on in I was always starved for energy and auto-attacking for what seemed like forever until I had enough for a special attack.

Tiger's Fury was available twice, but every time (we had quite a few tries before killing this one) I ran out of time before killing enough ads to get to zero.


If you have reasonably high item level (530+) then it's important that if you rake/rip an add you switch to the next one once you're confident the bleeds will kill it. There's no point tunneling an add with bleeds until it dies. I suggest you practice Proving Grounds DPS Silver to get the hang of this.
Image

Revered
User avatar
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:51 am
Location: Ireland

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby Sibylle » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:09 am

I did try that, but maybe not enough. My ilevel with all upgrades is 530, so it should be possible! So frustrating... I'll keep at it though :) Thanks!
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Revered
User avatar
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:51 am
Location: Ireland

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby Sibylle » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:48 pm

I didn't manage it again :( Honestly, I'm not great but I'm certainly not the worst kitty around. Am I really the only one with this problem? Does everyone do this, go into the test realm with 100 corruption and kill all adds in there to bring corruption to 0? I saved Tiger's Fury and Berserk for the test realm this time and multi-dotted everything, but once again time ran out before the last add died. Bah.
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Revered
User avatar
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:19 am

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby Alpheus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:11 pm

Sibylle wrote:I didn't manage it again :( Honestly, I'm not great but I'm certainly not the worst kitty around. Am I really the only one with this problem? Does everyone do this, go into the test realm with 100 corruption and kill all adds in there to bring corruption to 0? I saved Tiger's Fury and Berserk for the test realm this time and multi-dotted everything, but once again time ran out before the last add died. Bah.


Why are you going in with 100 corruption? Go in with ~75 so you only get 3 adds
Image

Revered
User avatar
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:51 am
Location: Ireland

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby Sibylle » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:47 am

It's part of our strat - our mage goes in first, then we kill his big add and I soak the orb it leaves, which brings me to 100. Then I go in and purify, and the big add I cause to appear is killed by our pally, who then has 100 corruption and goes in next, etc. Nobody seems to have a problem killing all adds in the test realm, just me :-/

How do you handle it then? Are we overlooking something?
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Honored
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:05 am

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby RareBeast » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:02 am

One thing I could suggest which you may already be doing is making sure you have beserk ready to go. I myself missed our main raid last week so I have only done it in flex so far and with how far spread out the adds are anything other than single target dps may not be viable. Possibly a rake on each little add then single target the big one or something?

Posts: 12
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby Oblivion » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:11 am

Does it really matter much if you kill them all or not? Sure you want to keep the big ones controlled, but I don't see it being a massive problem if 2 or 3 of the small ones pop up at the same time if you can't kill them in time.

Revered
User avatar
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:51 am
Location: Ireland

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby Sibylle » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:40 am

Oblivion wrote:Does it really matter much if you kill them all or not? Sure you want to keep the big ones controlled, but I don't see it being a massive problem if 2 or 3 of the small ones pop up at the same time if you can't kill them in time.

I'm talking about the "test" in the test realm. Killing the adds is necessary to clear corruption and do full dps.
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Honored
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:28 pm

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby adianar » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:34 pm

Sibylle,
We also do the soak, then go down strat to have 100% corruption, so I know what you're describing. I'm on this boss in reg progression now, so I"m by no means an expert here, but I'm full clearing my adds consistently with the following rough strat down below:

1. Make sure you have a SR up and available to you..
2. FF, then
3. Rake
4. Mangle (if possible based on their cast at us)
5. rip
6. FC to the next one... repeat

The key to this strat is letting time work in your favor. Even though its a lower rip, try to get them all bled up fast.. The combination of their cast at me limits my amount of time to tunnel them to death, so I light them all up with bleeds and then get back to the highest one to finish him off. All adds are now ticking down rather quickly at ths point. This stratt will possibly have the adds spawn roughly at the same time upstairs, but you'll get all 4 down this way. Hope it helps..

Adi

Revered
User avatar
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:51 am
Location: Ireland

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby Sibylle » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:19 pm

adianar wrote:Sibylle,
We also do the soak, then go down strat to have 100% corruption, so I know what you're describing. I'm on this boss in reg progression now, so I"m by no means an expert here, but I'm full clearing my adds consistently with the following rough strat down below:

1. Make sure you have a SR up and available to you..
2. FF, then
3. Rake
4. Mangle (if possible based on their cast at us)
5. rip
6. FC to the next one... repeat

The key to this strat is letting time work in your favor. Even though its a lower rip, try to get them all bled up fast.. The combination of their cast at me limits my amount of time to tunnel them to death, so I light them all up with bleeds and then get back to the highest one to finish him off. All adds are now ticking down rather quickly at ths point. This stratt will possibly have the adds spawn roughly at the same time upstairs, but you'll get all 4 down this way. Hope it helps..

Adi

Awesome, thanks Adi! I'll follow this to the letter. Quick question, does this strategy include the big add, or do you cleave that together with the first of the small ones?
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Honored
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:28 pm

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby adianar » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:31 pm

Inclusive of the big add and he's usually the last to drop based on it, but its really more dependent on what you can get off on the adds before that black aoe damage spell gets cast at you. A buffed rake, mangle and rip will take down the small adds by itself for me, so I only need to get to all of them quickly. The big add is far easier, for me anyway, to wipe out once you have most of the aoe spells dealt with from the little guys as they are already being punished upstairs..

Adi

Honored
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:05 am

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby RareBeast » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:23 am

I downed this last night and managed to do it two ways. First I downed the big add then killed each of the little adds one at a time. Finished with a couple of seconds to go. Next I killed the big add (having energy pooled to 100 as you get down and SR already up really helps kill him quick) then raked 3 of the little adds then killed the 4th. Then went back and finished off what little health was left on the other 3 adds. This left me with over 10secs left.

I would imagine that as described above a 2-4 pt rip on each (rake-mangle-rip) on each of the adds would be best as I wouldn't have had to run back to finish them off.

I'm about 543 ilvl with normal rune and heroic TF rentakis, so trinket procs can really make or break me as well.

Revered
User avatar
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:19 am

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby Alpheus » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:20 am

Friendly guardians (Force of Nature) don't get damage reduction from corruption so if you're not going inside (heroic) you can probably squeeze out a bit of extra damage with it (we killed it 12 seconds to enrage).
Image

Posts: 12
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby Oblivion » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:35 am

Sibylle wrote:
Oblivion wrote:Does it really matter much if you kill them all or not? Sure you want to keep the big ones controlled, but I don't see it being a massive problem if 2 or 3 of the small ones pop up at the same time if you can't kill them in time.

I'm talking about the "test" in the test realm. Killing the adds is necessary to clear corruption and do full dps.

I know, but I forgot they changed how the "test realm" works, my bad

Revered
User avatar
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:51 am
Location: Ireland

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby Sibylle » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:54 pm

@Adi: Finally managed to kill them all today. Putting up Rip on each of them and then moving on worked like a charm. When I reached the last one, I burned it down and then to my amazement, all the others were dead too. Hurray!

Thanks again for the hints :)
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:12 am

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby Karlzone » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:12 am

Sibylle wrote:@Adi: Finally managed to kill them all today. Putting up Rip on each of them and then moving on worked like a charm. When I reached the last one, I burned it down and then to my amazement, all the others were dead too. Hurray!

Thanks again for the hints :)

Was rip on all of them really needed? I honest did not even know there was a time limit on the test.
I just got in there, put a rake and some melee hits on each add. I don't think I even used Tiger's Fury.

Yay for gear inflation I guess.

Revered
User avatar
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:51 am
Location: Ireland

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby Sibylle » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:51 am

Karlzone wrote:
Sibylle wrote:@Adi: Finally managed to kill them all today. Putting up Rip on each of them and then moving on worked like a charm. When I reached the last one, I burned it down and then to my amazement, all the others were dead too. Hurray!

Thanks again for the hints :)

Was rip on all of them really needed? I honest did not even know there was a time limit on the test.
I just got in there, put a rake and some melee hits on each add. I don't think I even used Tiger's Fury.

Yay for gear inflation I guess.

Absolutely. When I first had problems, my ilevel was around 533 if I remember correctly. I needed to pull all the stops and put up full bleeds on everything, and still JUST ABOUT managed to kill all four of them before the time was up.

Fast-forward to yesterday and an ilevel of 550: They died so quickly I couldn't believe it. I just tore through them. I'll use my Berserk elsewhere on this fight from now on ;)
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Revered
User avatar
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:51 am
Location: Ireland

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby Sibylle » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:53 am

With all the help I received from adianar and others here, I'm pleased to announce I'm acing this fight these days :)

A couple questions re: optimisation. We're now killing him on 10hc and I'm one of the first people to go into the test realm. I still pick up 5 combo points quickly beforehand so I have a full-duration SR going in, and then I TF + Berserk to get through the adds as quickly as possible and get back to Norushen. I managed 330(e) dps this way last week which for me is stellar.

I'm just wondering whether I'm wasting my Berserk down in the test realm. The idea is to lose as little uptime as possible on Norushen. But maybe it would be more beneficial to take a little longer killing the adds in the test realm and then use Berserk on Norushen when I'm back up? What d'you think?
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Honored
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:29 am

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby Paloro » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:39 am

When I go down first I never attack the boss (procs my trinkets). Just pre-cast HT for DoC charges, Rake the first little add and then Rake the big guy. Throw up a thrash (hitting both big and 1 little), Mangle then Rip the big guy. I then Displacer Beast to the next little add Rake/Mangle him and proceed to run to the last small add. On the way, use Savage Roar.

By the time you kill all of them and get ported back up to the room, your trinkets should just about be ready to proc again with TF very shortly coming off of cd. This is why you want to save Berserk!
Image

Revered
User avatar
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:51 am
Location: Ireland

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby Sibylle » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks, Paloro. So in other words, it might be time for me to stop being a sissy and start using DoC? Or do you think I could pull this off with HotW?
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Honored
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:51 pm

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby mekell » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:35 pm

I kill all my adds regularly without any CD's and i use HOTW. This is in normal mode. I haven't seen heroic yet.

edit: After reading back, i see you guys are talking about 10H, sorry for the confusion on my part
Image

Revered
User avatar
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby Steakbomb » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:26 pm

Sibylle wrote:Thanks, Paloro. So in other words, it might be time for me to stop being a sissy and start using DoC? Or do you think I could pull this off with HotW?


If you are comfortable playing DoC, then I would play it, it's deff a DPS gain over HotW. I switch between HotW and DoC a lot for progression depending on the fight. I usually go HotW for progression but when we are closer to a kill I switch back to DoC. I usually play HotW for Galakras and Spoils but all other fights I'm DoC.

If you haven't been DoC in a while I would suggest playing it on a couple farm bosses and get yourself re accustomed to the play style first.

But in the end you should only go DoC if you can play it well and take advantage of the spec. If you mess up it's hurts you more than HotW.
Image

Revered
User avatar
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:51 am
Location: Ireland

Re: SoO - Norushen 3/14

Postby Sibylle » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:21 pm

That's the thing, I haven't really used DoC before so I guess I'd need some practice first. I'm going to try and see what it does to my dps when I kill the adds without Berserk. Thanks for the replies, folks :)
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Next

Return to Raid Strategies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests