Register

SoO - Spoils of Pandaria 10/14

These strats will give you a 32.33% chance of survival...repeating, of course.
Exalted

SoO - Spoils of Pandaria 10/14

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:28 pm

This topic is for discussing Feral DPS tactics, monk tactics and/or general raid strategies for the Spoils of Pandaria encounter.

Please feel free to post tips, tricks, videos or ask questions. I will do my best to keep the top post updated with information as it arrives.

When discussing, please mention raid size (10/25) and difficulty (normal/heroic).

Revered

Re: SoO - Spoils of Pandaria 10/14

Postby Sibylle » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:34 pm

Um. A "boss" fight like an endless stream of trash. I could use some wisdom from the pros here!

We only got a couple pulls today before the end of the raid and made it into the second room just in time, where we wiped after a while. My damage wasn't great, fast-dying mobs aren't my strength. I don't have a lock or rogue to Symbiosis with, any other tips? I try Thrashing and multi-raking as much as possible - most mobs die too fast to multi-rip too. Anything else I can do?
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Postby Kraineth » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:51 am

10man
Pretty much just thrash/swipe when opening a lot of the little boxes. The best way we found was to start by opening one giant crate and burning the guy down. Then opening the buff crates followed by as many of the small crates as possible because the buffs all give aoe dmg/stuns. We cleared every room leaving 1 of the big crates unopened.

One of the mantid crates contains a guy who heals over time, we chose to never release him, because on every pull we noticed the guys in the big boxes didn't change for us. Could be luck, but not having the healer guy saved some time.

Honored

Postby bearpelt » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:34 am

Any veterans have tips on this for Heroic 25man mode? I was brought in to sub one of the regs on progression and boy... my damage makes me want to quit the game/ raiding in shame : |

At first I tried multi-dotting with Rake for medium mobs, Swiping with small mobs around and focus firing/ multi-dotting on large. My DPS was pretty awful.

Then someone suggested I simply Swipe-fest all the way.

Well, that put my DPS on par with the tank. What's a Cat to do? o.O

Honored

Postby Paloro » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:49 pm

bearpelt wrote:Any veterans have tips on this for Heroic 25man mode? I was brought in to sub one of the regs on progression and boy... my damage makes me want to quit the game/ raiding in shame : |

At first I tried multi-dotting with Rake for medium mobs, Swiping with small mobs around and focus firing/ multi-dotting on large. My DPS was pretty awful.

Then someone suggested I simply Swipe-fest all the way.

Well, that put my DPS on par with the tank. What's a Cat to do? o.O

Your damage will swing depending on the first 2 boxes you spawn (if it is a healer/tank/dps add), so don't expect your damage to be awesome if you don't get the buff.
I mainly focus on keeping a single target rotation on the large adds and only using Thrash on smalls/spawns. The mediums (like phylacteries) I rake and thrash one, then move to the other and do a full single target on him until it dies.

It's kind of difficult to fully explain. You can watch my kill for a better idea though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdUAjMgr8dM

Honored

Postby bearpelt » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:45 pm

Thanks, Paloro.
I noticed from your video that you were not using Soothe to get rid of the mantid enrage--something the raid has me do. Is there any reason for that? Or is there a macro I can do to quickly cast Soothe and get back to Cat Form?

The current macro I'm using is:

/tar Kor'thok Warcaller
/cast Soothe
/targetlasttarget
(After which I have to shift back to cat manually before resuming DPS)

Honored

Postby Paloro » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:29 pm

bearpelt wrote:Thanks, Paloro.
I noticed from your video that you were not using Soothe to get rid of the mantid enrage--something the raid has me do. Is there any reason for that? Or is there a macro I can do to quickly cast Soothe and get back to Cat Form?

The current macro I'm using is:

/tar Kor'thok Warcaller
/cast Soothe
/targetlasttarget
(After which I have to shift back to cat manually before resuming DPS)

I wasn't using soothe because my group had 2 other druids (1 resto, 1 boom) and a hunter. It was a large loss for me to do this compared to them.
For the macro, I would just add:
#showtooltip Soothe
before anything else and then have a separate macro that shifts into cat.

Exalted

Postby raffy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:41 am

I ran DoC on 10H spoils for our first kill tonight. I was surprised how well it performed on a target-swap heavy fight. My side had a Hunter/Warlock, so I never had to leave my tanks target (to kill supernovas or stone guys.) When I did change targets, I tried to make sure my final finisher wasn't going to consume Feral Rage.

For advice: I was burning SI immediately on the two Monks, to mitigate Breath of Fire/Blossom/whatever bullshit from being a problem. This also let me go crazy (our paladin tank seemed to occasionally have threat issues on them) and not worry about getting meleed a few times. Those guys can easily level you in within 1-sec w/o DR up.

I saved my Berserk for big guys. DoC HT's kept me near full during all of the big AoE smashes. If my HP was ok, I threw HT's at my healer. I kept my second SI for the monks on the other side. I roared on the opener, and roared to move to the other room. I bashed Bombardiers. I used Skull Bash as a mini-charge during knockbacks. We moved the big guys to middle of room where my Thrash dot could hit multiple stone guys/supernovas/sparks of life.

I ran Rune/Haromm, but I'll probably try Rune/AoC next week; I didn't like how my 2nd Berserk was aligned.

Revered

Postby Alpheus » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:03 am

raffy wrote:I ran DoC on 10H spoils for our first kill tonight. I was surprised how well it performed on a target-swap heavy fight. My side had a Hunter/Warlock, so I never had to leave my tanks target (to kill supernovas or stone guys.) When I did change targets, I tried to make sure my final finisher wasn't going to consume Feral Rage.

For advice: I was burning SI immediately on the two Monks, to mitigate Breath of Fire/Blossom/whatever bullshit from being a problem. This also let me go crazy (our paladin tank seemed to occasionally have threat issues on them) and not worry about getting meleed a few times. Those guys can easily level you in within 1-sec w/o DR up.

I saved my Berserk for big guys. DoC HT's kept me near full during all of the big AoE smashes. If my HP was ok, I threw HT's at my healer. I kept my second SI for the monks on the other side. I roared on the opener, and roared to move to the other room. I bashed Bombardiers. I used Skull Bash as a mini-charge during knockbacks. We moved the big guys to middle of room where my Thrash dot could hit multiple stone guys/supernovas/sparks of life.

I ran Rune/Haromm, but I'll probably try Rune/AoC next week; I didn't like how my 2nd Berserk was aligned.

I ran AoC and the 2nd berserk in the same room is not a big of a boost as the first one since you're nearing ~45 energy and are probably no more mobs left to aoe (either killing last two mediums, or big one + one anything) so I reckon Haromm's is a better choice overall, especially since it's free extra damage on the stone guys if you manage to thrash/rake them - which is arguably the more important aspect on the mogu side.

Also, I was using displacer beast to blink across gusting bombs and the flowers, I'm also the one dashing/blinking to the far panda box upon entering rooms.

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:13 pm

raffy wrote:For advice: I was burning SI immediately on the two Monks, to mitigate Breath of Fire/Blossom/whatever bullshit from being a problem. This also let me go crazy (our paladin tank seemed to occasionally have threat issues on them) and not worry about getting meleed a few times. Those guys can easily level you in within 1-sec w/o DR up.

Heh I was having the same problem. They have weird aggro tables I think at first before they become active. We just solved it by using Hand of Salvation on me every pull :P.

this let me keep my SI for the large box AoE (I started on Mogu side).

EDIT:

I used roar for Spinning crane kick from mist weaver monks and to clear slow from hardened flesh.

Postby Karlzone » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:14 pm

Yeah hand of salvation definitely seems to be the way to go. Those pandas kill me even through all my cooldowns. I'd appreciate any tips for maximizing damage here, besides the tank opening boxes early for my soul swap.

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:09 am

Just started working on this on heroic, and boy do I suck. I think my main problem is that I compulsively hit Savage Roar when a mob dies with 2 or 3 combo points - but often, I only extend my current SR by a few seconds, meaning that I've just wasted 25 energy. Over the course of this fight, that's a LOT of wasted energy. Gah! I'll sit down now and write 10 times "I must not be a complete idiot."
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Honored

Postby Paloro » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:16 am

Don't ever worry about putting up more then a rake on small adds or sparks. I like taking soul swap also for when the large add is about to die and opening a medium to swap bleeds to them (hopefully it is the anima golem).

Return to Raid Strategies