Register

5.4 Challenge modes

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Honored

5.4 Challenge modes

Postby teddabear » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:08 pm

I am trying to figure out the best gear for CM and Proving Grounds, especially the trinkets. I am choosing between RoR, Rentakis and Relic of Xuen. As for set pieces is the T16 4pc considered the best?

Re: 5.4 Challenge modes

Postby Asashdor » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:27 pm

Tremnen did lots of work regarding that about two months ago: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4701

Long story short:
- Set bonuses and legendary gems don't work, don't know about the cloak proc
- Rune is bad because of downscaled proc chance
- as many sockets as possible

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:20 am

The only part of the Legendary Questline that works is the eye socket for ToT weapons. This makes ToT weapons pretty much the defacto best weapons for Challenge modes because 2 sockets > 1.

Legendary cloak scales down stat wise kinda badly. it still hwoever will out proform any other non cocketed cloak BIS is Jikun Cloak IIRC.

Rune can either be trashy or Godly depending on RNG. If you are looking for normal golds I'd say don't grab it. but if you are looking for realm bests its probably the best trinket because the one run you do out of a hundred that it procs for 8-9 times you will probably do more damage than with any other trinket.

Engineering is the best profession for Challenge Modes. Profession bonuses do work btw. Engineering Helm is really really good so is the invis potion belt as it is a DPS increase because it allows you to chug dps potions.

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:51 pm

Also Tier bonus do not work. So unless the stat itemization is good or it has a ton of good sockets don't bring tier.

Honored

Postby Elamari » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:00 pm

Tremnen wrote:Legendary cloak scales down stat wise kinda badly. it still hwoever will out proform any other non cocketed cloak BIS is Jikun Cloak IIRC.

Wouldn't the legendary cloak always be BIS because it has 3 secondary stats and a red socket VS 2 secondary stats on the ji kun cloak and a blue socket? Happy to be proven wrong, just my way of thinking.

Cheers.
Cricket? Nobody understands cricket. You have to know what a crumpet is to understand cricket.

File under Feral - http://fileunderferal.wordpress.com/

Revered

Postby Steakbomb » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:10 pm

without RoRo, the other stats aren't as good as they are now.

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:49 am

Elamari wrote:
Tremnen wrote:Legendary cloak scales down stat wise kinda badly. it still hwoever will out proform any other non cocketed cloak BIS is Jikun Cloak IIRC.

Wouldn't the legendary cloak always be BIS because it has 3 secondary stats and a red socket VS 2 secondary stats on the ji kun cloak and a blue socket? Happy to be proven wrong, just my way of thinking.

Cheers.

not only if you arent using RoRo is the haste just a bad stat because of the way the stat budget works think of it this way. would you rather have 30 of 3 stats or 45 of 2 stats one being your best stat and the other your second best stat?

Both cloaks will have the same amount of stats in challenge modes its just the one without haste will hurt you less.

Exalted

Postby Stenhaldi » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:06 am

Tremnen wrote:Both cloaks will have the same amount of stats in challenge modes its just the one without haste will hurt you less.

Actually not true. The legendary cloak ends up with ~100 more secondary stats at level 463 than, say, the Ji-kun cloak.

This is an extreme example of the rule whereby items with more evenly spread stats get more total stats. When the item gets a whole extra stat, that stat comes very cheaply.

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:42 am

I was trying to be simplistic :P.

If you want the best post I have seen to describe the way scaling works in CMs look here:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/128 ... assination

Exalted

Postby raffy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:48 pm

You can also create two blank Catus configs [ctrl+N], apply Challenge Mode scaling on both of them, add [608] Fen-Yu to one and [whatever] Pinionfeather Greatcloak to the other, gem them, and use "Gear Compare" > Configuration.

Return to Kitty DPS