Register

SoO - Thok the Bloodthirsty 11/14

These strats will give you a 32.33% chance of survival...repeating, of course.

Re: SoO - Thok the Bloodthirsty 11/14

Postby mystidruid » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:33 am

I've been running feline swiftness and i stick with him long enough to refresh bleeds each time he gets kited across. Although i'm one of the people taked with "baiting" him the last 2 fixates since we are so quick. This is on heroic 25. Got him to 17% last night but there was micommunication on where we were all stacking to push thru the fire stacking asap and he never pushed over. Hopefully he dies fast this week :)

Postby Knuet » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:14 am

We had some hours of progress yesterday on Thok hc 25. Feline swiftness works fine.
I put up new dots on Thok just before entering frenzy and switch to jailor until Thok passes me again and soulswap my dots back on Thok, build new dots on jailor and finish him.
After that its pretty difficult to get him in range again to get rake and rip on him again...
Nevertheless I was pretty much erevery try top in meters, far away from any other melee and closely followed by the warlocks.

Honored

Postby inferiorlol » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:19 pm

Just had an absolutely INSANE kill on Thok 10 man heroic. One of those where your trinkets just keep proccing and proccing, multiple clearcasting during the bats and to finish it off I got the dream BitW rip. Managed to get rank 1 10 man feral druids with a margin of 65k dps and also got rank 1 among all classes for the boss with my 569 ilvl gear. Looking through the video I see many mistakes but obviously my RNG luck (and some TotT) made up for it. <3 RPPM + snapshot

Maybe the video can be helpful to people still progressing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tple7_-WphY

Logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/irrg ... 30&e=14331

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:42 am

That's pretty sick, gratz! But how is the second rank ALSO taken up by someone called Inferior? What's the likelihood of this? :lol:
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Honored

Postby inferiorlol » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:00 am

Sibylle wrote:That's pretty sick, gratz! But how is the second rank ALSO taken up by someone called Inferior? What's the likelihood of this? :lol:

It's because the DK in our raid team likes to put up her own logs so she can see her ranks for fights like Norushen / Spoils. However, she is too lazy to cut out the individual fights so that's why I ended up double ranking :/ Not my fault and it looks bad :(

Postby Karlzone » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:02 pm

inferiorlol wrote:
Sibylle wrote:That's pretty sick, gratz! But how is the second rank ALSO taken up by someone called Inferior? What's the likelihood of this? :lol:

It's because the DK in our raid team likes to put up her own logs so she can see her ranks for fights like Norushen / Spoils. However, she is too lazy to cut out the individual fights so that's why I ended up double ranking :/ Not my fault and it looks bad :(

Watched that vid and.. insane. I just killed him first time and my gear is about the same (switched rune normal for hc assurance, but have more ilvl because of it) and I did only 320k dps. Though I admit our tactic is a lot worse towards melee, I nearly feel insulted by that insane damage you did. You are really good at keeping up with the boss during kites, did you use feline swiftness? I felt like I couldn't keep up with him after the third kite; and that's with dash up.
Good work either way :)

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:11 pm

I do nowhere near 300k on Thok, but then I get to not hit anything for ages due to our strat, so I've stopped even caring about my dps on this fight. Just like Iron Juggernaut when we cheese the tactics - what am I supposed to do when I'm stuck miles out of melee range, astral project? :lol:
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Honored

Postby inferiorlol » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:15 am

Karlzone wrote:Watched that vid and.. insane. I just killed him first time and my gear is about the same (switched rune normal for hc assurance, but have more ilvl because of it) and I did only 320k dps. Though I admit our tactic is a lot worse towards melee, I nearly feel insulted by that insane damage you did. You are really good at keeping up with the boss during kites, did you use feline swiftness? I felt like I couldn't keep up with him after the third kite; and that's with dash up.
Good work either way :)

I use Feral charge. For me it feels like if he is too fast for you to keep up without Feline Swiftness then he is too fast even with it. If you look at 4:35 you see why charge is good. I'm at 4 CP and he is waaay to fast for me even with swiftness. With charge I can just charge and have time for a mangle and then get up my rip. Just a word of caution, if you charge from the side or when he is stationary you get chomped. Rocket boots are also good and you can ask for speed shield from priest. The point is also not to keep hitting him, the point is to have rip and rake up. I ignore the jailer and thus I keep my CP on thok and can usually get a new rip up while he is passing by.

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:55 am

inferiorlol wrote:The point is also not to keep hitting him, the point is to have rip and rake up.

There's no reason not to do the former if you're doing the latter, as long as you're being mindful what healing you're recieving.

I run Feline Swiftness and use Dash on the 3rd fixate (just as he reaches 7 stacks, I think), then Stampeding Roar on the 4th fixate, and Nitro Boosts on the 5th fixate, and that should allow you stay pretty firmly on him all the way to about 13 stacks. I also tend to be more aggressive in positioning myself when I run out while he turns.

Highly recommend bubble symbiosis too, you can remove the debuffs with it in the later P2s and that allows you to range your healers occasionally without having to worry (I use it when I get low with 1 stack or immediately at 2). It's a good idea to play super cautious once your bubble is on cooldown though, if you're out in the middle of nowhere and you get a debuff you're gonna have a bad time.

Honored

Postby Kraineth » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:25 pm

I do take bubble on this fight but for a totally different reason. When the bats come down on 25H I aoe as hard as possible and bubble+HotW+Tranq as soon as I hit 0 energy and TF is on CD, this is the roughest part for us.

Also reccomend displacer for this and save it for getting fixated during the last 2-3 kites since he's almost guaranteed to eat the last two without portals/blinks

Revered

Postby Alpheus » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:13 am

Kraineth wrote:I do take bubble on this fight but for a totally different reason. When the bats come down on 25H I aoe as hard as possible and bubble+HotW+Tranq as soon as I hit 0 energy and TF is on CD, this is the roughest part for us.

Also reccomend displacer for this and save it for getting fixated during the last 2-3 kites since he's almost guaranteed to eat the last two without portals/blinks

You will not get fixated if you stick to his extended melee range.

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:37 am

Yeah, in about 50 pulls I've never been fixated once barring when everyone was dead, so only consider DB if you're sticking to the jailer.

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:40 am

We just started working on this in hc (10m) last night. Holy sh*t, that's a lot of damage, and the poor healers keep getting interrupted. Disco priest / monk / pally are probably not the best healing combo for this fight. Our monk is now learning fistweaving which he usually hates and avoids, because that at least doesn't get interrupted.

We blow pretty much all of our cooldowns to get through the first phase 1, including my bubble-symbiosis + HotW Tranq. Predictably, once we got past that and the kiting phase, we got owned by the bats. That's as far as we got, I guess we'll figure out the rest next week.
-Sibylle

Postby Mechalis » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:38 pm

Boss appears to insta-turn and kill at melee range if someone drops fixate with a defensive or they are killed or they are out of line of sight of the boss. But it should not be a problem for tight groups with good communication. It is a problem though for fun fights that it's unclear what everyone is doing.

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:11 pm

So, Thok heroic. Somehow I get the impression melee are an unfortunate "appendix" in our 10man. Please put me straight if I'm wrong.

We changed tactics around a bit (still haven't killed him, over 50 wipes now) and I'm using Tranq at 12 stacks in the first Phase 1 - one of the few times I'd actually get to dps otherwise. Then melee are supposed to kill the jailer, so by the time we'd get to run with him, he's too fast to get up any more than perhaps a Rake, if that.

Then the bats are tanked in front of the boss, so that ranged can AoE them. We keep this phase short, and yet, by the time the kiting begins and bats are brought over to where we stack so I can hit them too, they're nearly dead.

Is it just me, or are there better ways to make use of a kitty dps in this fight?
-Sibylle

Revered

Postby Stenhaldi » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:00 am

There's no point in killing the jailer before you intend to end the kite phase. If your melee are killing the jailer and then having to spend a significant amount of time chasing after Thok before ending the phase, then you should switch the order that melee do things: spend some time attacking Thok at the start of the phase (when he's slow), and then switch to the jailer when Thok is faster.

For my own part, during progression I never even attacked jailers at all, since our other melee were killing them fast enough.

Regarding bats, you should be able to find a position from which you can hit them while not getting hit by breath. There's a warrior in one of my alt runs that does this (since I tank the bats and Thok together in that run). If not, then it's also safe to go in front of Thok as long he's not about to breathe, so you can watch the breath timer to do this (but you might need to check your bossmod settings -- I know default Bigwigs only shows the breath timer to tanks).

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:47 pm

Thanks, Stenhaldi, I'll try that. We're supposed to stack on the bat phase for healing cooldowns but maybe I can persuade our raid leader :)
-Sibylle

Revered

Postby Stenhaldi » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:48 pm

Well, if your raid is killing the bats fast enough already, then there's no point in taking any risks attacking them.

We really like to have them dead before ending that phase, though -- dealing with their raid damage while people are spread in the kite phase can be a big problem.

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:39 pm

Exactly, and it has been a problem for us so far. We only got past the second kite phase once, ever. Bats can't die fast enough imo.

Next raid tomorrow, I'll see how it goes! Thanks again for all the help.
-Sibylle

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:10 pm

on the subject of bats i tend to save my 2nd beserk and use it with my 2nd potion when they come out. the way we do it is out warrior tank drops mocking banner and tanks them in melee. we chain stun them though between shock wave and leg sweep and just burn them dead. I hit over 1.5 million spked dps on them this week.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-n ... 304&e=6745

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:12 pm

I confess myself a silly kitty.

All it needed was for me to speak up and TELL our raid leader what I thought. I wrote him a friendly PM on our guild forum explaining where I think melee could be more helpful, and he didn't just take up one but ALL of my suggestions. I no longer kill the jailer but run with Thok (got chomped once all evening, when he stopped and turned immediately instead of first standing there for a second or two - d'oh). I also run in and AoE the crap out of the bats now in between breaths. Gods, this fight is so much fun all of a sudden!

We still don't have him down, but the bats die in no time now. And tomorrow is another day. We got as far as the third phase 1 a few times this time.

Thanks again Stenhaldi, this has been amazingly helpful!
-Sibylle

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:21 pm

WE KILLED HIM!! Yeah, only five months later... We've had rotten luck with people leaving, being unable to raid for several months, and buying houses and having no internet. We hardly had two raids in a row with a full team since January. But we did last week, and today we extended and WE GOT HIM!! YESSSS!

(sorry caps. I can't not shout about it :D )

Edit P.S.: The log shows you that we really aren't hotshots by any measure. But it also shows that ranks 2 and 3 in dps go to both melees - myself and the pala - hurray for my speaking up so we were allowed to run with Thok on kite phases!
-Sibylle

Previous

Return to Raid Strategies