Register

Real-world simulator

Face-rippin fun.
Honored

Real-world simulator

Postby felhoof » Sat May 21, 2011 12:24 am

I've been thinking more about simulators and their strengths and weaknesses. We talk a lot about the value of a simulator and how we can simulate things like Atramedes and weird breakpoints in the fight or how we can simulate the value of hits and misses on adds and the like. The problem, of course, is that these things aren't perfectly accurate with respect to a given fight. There are lots of variables and weird things that can go on.

But what if, instead, we did a simulator based entirely on actual fight data? And not just things like uptime or damage done via moves and things like that - I'm talking about using the logs of a fight as a baseline script. It can also do things like apply buffs and debuffs and whatnot, but the general idea is to do the following:

1. Take a parse from WoL (or the raw logs if you're feeling awesome)
2. For a given character, take all the actions that character does and put them in order. Note that things like hit/miss are not going to be perfect here, for obvious reasons.
3. Based on the stats of a character (doesn't have to be that one) evaluate how they would have done in the above situation.
4. Then do RSVs based on changing stats of that character and running it again.

The obvious problems are around hitting. With hit/exp caps this wouldn't be an issue, but it is. It's hard to (for example) simulate a rip falling off and then not refreshing it properly; the sim would be completely confused as to how much damage it actually did. There are ways around that, but my gut feeling is that you'd simply change all events to try to refresh certain things if they failed the first time or just run it a lot and deal with the average results.

But what it would do is give a very accurate reading of what happens during a fight, in what order, and the various stages of a fight relative to others.

Thoughts? Surely someone's thought of using WoL as a script, haven't they?

Return to Kitty DPS