Register

Addons, suggestions, hellllllp

Observe my Growling Bear style. I block blows...with my FACE.

Addons, suggestions, hellllllp

Postby Zaxxan » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:56 pm

Ok basically I haven't tanked since SSC in TBC. Given recent issues with a tank in the small 10m guild I run not showing up I have been sort of forced in to tanking. I seriously went from not tanking in the past few years, not even level appropiate 5 mans, to tanking raids this past week. Now I am doing "ok" on "simple" fights, Magmaw, Chim, Council, etc. Basically fights where I have a single target I could do better, but overall things are fine there for someone who currently hasn't figured out his keybinds, and is sort of guessing at his threat rotation.

Where my fail is making itself known is with add fights. . I tried tanking the adds on Maloriak and it was a huuuuuge failure. If not for a friend logging in I am fairly sure we would still be wiping :( I currently have no way of knowing who the hell is targeted by an add so, if in the mess I miss one, until I hear HELLLLLP on vent I am clueless. My AoE threat is also lower than where it should be I believe. Annnd the last thing is cooldowns. I have the habit of popping SI and Barkskin at the same time due to grabbing threat as a cat, but I am unsure if I should do that while taking big hits or would it be better to just use BS on CD and save SI and Glyphed FR for the heavy stuff?

As far as gearing reforging and enchants I think I am fine, though I am still using some dedicated DPS pieces until I get some more offspec drops from either the Zandalari 5 mans or raids.

Any advice, suggestions, or addons that one feels I probably need would be appreciated.

---------

On a side note I love how the Leather pieces from the Zandalari 5 mans look. Probably one of my favorite sets in the game.

Re: Addons, suggestions, hellllllp

Postby Annunaki » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:33 pm

I suggest TidyPlates.

Honored

Postby Terias » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:58 pm

For addons, leafkillers ovale script is actually fairly effective at getting you used to the single target rotation. It also convienently lets you know when demo falls off your target as well.

I think we do have a bit too much thought required in our threat rotation, so it can be a bit hectic to pay attention to all of the things we're expected to watch while tanking on top of a proc, a dot, a buff, and when we have extra rage to maul for maximum threat.

To solve your problem of not knowing when adds are on you, I suggest using custom nameplates. Tidyplates will place emphasis (color change, size change) on nameplates of mobs you lose agro on, or are about to lose agro on.

As for aoe threat, I use swipe -> thrash -> swipe. At this point you have a small window in your rotation for one gcd, I tend to hit mangle and maul here if I have the rage to. then you go back into the swipe -> thrash -> swipe. On maloriaks slimes I will make sure if a nameplate turns yellow (meaning I'm about to lose threat) I target that one for the extra auto-attack/mangle/maul threat.

As for for your cooldowns, barkskin isn't really a "save your ass" cooldown. On certain fights you rotate your cooldowns for certain predictable abilities (da/feud on chim, electrocutes on nef), on other fights you use them as damage mitigators over the course of the fight. On maloriak add tanking I tend to pop barkskin during the black phase to mitigate some damage early on. When 6-9 adds are out at once, cooldown usage gets hectic as I'm trying to maintain agro (very difficult it 9 adds out) and be in melee range as little as possible.

It is possible to use swipe and thrash just outside melee range of the adds to build some threat, but that's always been a bit dodgy, and I find I've had to pop cd's just to run in and grab threat back. I find it's really important on this fight to charge the new set of adds as they spawn, get some distance between the "pack" that was on you, and get some single target abilities off before the group catches up and buffs the new adds.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:42 pm

I thought Mangle and Maul was basically the bear's rotation still, or do you actually have to use Lacerate/Pulverize now? XD

For aoe, all you can really do is notice where a pack spawns on like maloriak, FC or run over and spam Swipe and Thrash until they're all gathered.

Also for what it's worth, there's about zero difference between what bears and cats use nowdays from my understanding, raids drop 1 leather item piece per equipment slot so you're not gonna find another option for, say, Parasitic Bands off Magmaw anywhere else; it's literally that or a pvp item. Trinkets still being the difference, though it's not like something like Fluid Death can't effectively be used to tank as well as dps. So you pretty much just reforge stuff into better stats, like Mastery or Dodge or something. Speaking of pvp gear, I think I read it's still nice to have for big stamina builds if you can get some epic ones.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:09 am

Annunaki wrote:I suggest TidyPlates.

I agree with Annunaki.
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... lates.aspx

TidyPlates/Threat plates are two addons that work together. They have a lot of options that will allow you to see if you have threat, which target you are losing threat on, and which target is being held by another tank and thus safe. Check it out.

Postby ScrubCat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:04 pm

With AOE, I throw in a demo roar after swipe thrash swipe
And yeah, in addition to using mangle/maul, you should also use lacerate, pulverize (help get your SD), and even thrash on single target.

Postby Zaxxan » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:43 am

Ok Tidyplates/threatplates was exactly what I needed. Thank you.

Honored

Postby Morghan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:34 am

Threatplates is my friend on any toon.....Works great for DPS/Heals too, so you know when you acidentally pulled off tank and which mob is coming at you :D

Postby Tevious » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:07 am

I also like Droodfocus http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... focus.aspx that helps out alot on checking what debuffs are up on the boss.
It's quite costumizable and I've removed everything except the icon with timers.
You can also add trinket procs and other cool stuff that you wan't to have information on when they are up or down or left or right.

my 2 cents

Postby dozzerr » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:39 am

i use a macro for aoe tanking threat, #showtooltip Swipe(Bear Form)/castsequence [stance:1] reset=6 Swipe(Bear form), Thrash/use !Maul it seems to work pretty well, and there is only one button to push.

Return to Bear Tanking