Register

Can't seem to break 9k

For the smart druids who don't do this melee...thing.

Can't seem to break 9k

Postby snuzzle » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:08 am

And I know I should be doing more with the gear I have.

I've read all the blogs, EJ, tweaked my spec and glyphs numerous times, and tried mixing up my rotation. No matter what I try I seem to be just CAPPED at 9k on single-target boss fights. If I blow all my cooldowns I can eek out 10k or so but I just feel like I should be doing more than that.

I can snooze 10k+ on my cat in my sleep. I can bear tank and do 10k DPS. I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong with my boomkin.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/b ... e/advanced

(Obv. my real helm is not that one, it's Cluster of Stars with a Burning Shadowspirit and a Reckless Topaz.)

1. I put up my DOTs, first IS then Moonfire
2. I use Starsurge on CD especially if it procs
3. I cast Wrath or Starfire, depending on what Eclipse I'm in. Generally I start the fight with spamming Wrath.
4. I blow Berserk and Treants when a Lunar eclipse procs and refresh my DOTs
5. Rinse repeat

:s I can try to get a log if you want but if someone sees something I'm doing that's just fundamentally wrong... my ele shammy's DPS doubled when I figured out what I was doing wrong with him.

Revered

Re: Can't seem to break 9k

Postby Sylvaneart » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:07 am

Welcome Snuz. We are primarily a feral site BUT...........We will find you the answers you need.
Be sure to subscribe to The Fluid Druid RSS feed and follow me on twitter! @Sylvaneart

Honored

Postby mekell » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:15 pm

Your gear looks like its gemmed/enchanted properly for the most part. Trinkets need upgrading, Sarrowsong does nothing for you > 35% so you are losing out out damage 65% of the mobs health (more likely, just using basic example) I would definitely go for some better ones.

I only offspec boomkin occasionally, so from what you are saying, it sounds like you have things down. Some of your damage is going to be based on group makeup. I know on my kitty, with the wrong group makeup i always feel like something is wrong.

One big thing that helped me boost my numbers a bit is that moonfire/insect swarm up at all times, never let them fall off. If you are going to be moving, spam moonfire while moving since you get a stacking buff that increases its damage (or has this talent changed?).

Wild mushrooms while moving too, they are a pretty large amount of damage.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:16 pm

Hi Snuzzle.

I used to be a crit chicken for a while before I returned to the light feral. I had a few questions for you. Do you use any add ons to track your dot ticks, or your starsurge procs? Are you using your mushrooms on the pull? What do you do when Natures Grace proc's? Some logs would be really helpful as well.

Postby snuzzle » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:29 pm

Tinderhoof wrote:Hi Snuzzle.

I used to be a crit chicken for a while before I returned to the light feral. I had a few questions for you. Do you use any add ons to track your dot ticks, or your starsurge procs? Are you using your mushrooms on the pull? What do you do when Natures Grace proc's? Some logs would be really helpful as well.

I appreciate the help, guys. I asked the WoW forums and basically got ... well, what you can expect from the WoW forums. And was directed here xD

I'm an everything druid. I have one of each spc and it just kills me that there's one druid spec that I just suck at!

I use Drood Focus to track my buffs and DoTs and I like it very much. It's been a staple of my UI since I discovered it in WOTLK. I also have InlineAura so the DOT duration is right on my buttons... I like redundancy. That way I can be sure I'm not missing it since it's so important to have a Mangle up when I'm kittying, etc.

I haven't been using Mushrooms, I confess. I was hearing mixed reviews about them, just put up three and detonate off the pull? I can try using those in a dungeon tonight and see what the difference it makes is. Keeping in mind the 15% RDF buff of course.

Honored

Postby mekell » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:37 pm

Any time you move for a period of time, mushrooms are instant casts and easy filler when you cant cast wrath or starfire.

Generally on movement fights (depending on how long you are going to be moving), i do the following:

If there are 2 or more targets:
drop 3 shrooms
detonate
spam moonfire/sunfire
reapply IS as it falls off.

If there is only one target, dont bother with shrooms, just spam moonfire while moving.

when you stop moving, go back to normal

One thing to note about shrooms: they do not cause aggro on cast. You can pre-cast them right at any mobs feet and they wont know the wiser until you detonate them.

On any pull having 2 or more targets and movement, shrooms are a godsend for dps, they hit hard.

Postby ScrubCat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:07 pm

Tinderhoof wrote:Hi Snuzzle.

You're supposed to do something different during nature's grace proc?

Make sure you're getting your dots reapplied at some point during both eclipses, particularly moon/sunfire.

I found that getting darkmoon card: volcano ups DPS by a couple K. If you can afford it on your server anyway.

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:10 pm

You should get Balance Power Tracker to track your Eclipse state. http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... werTracker

There is also a pretty good setup for tracking debuffs with power auras classic that the raiding boomkin in my guild uses (he is one of the best I have seen play the class).

If you want to play around with a move suggester (i.e. Ovale), there is a decent script on the forums for balance here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=192 (it also has feral code in it). I made a modified version of this script that I use on my second druid (I have 2 level 85 druids - one feral and one that is balance/resto) which I can post - but it just has cosmetic changes on the cooldown boxes.

One of the best resources I recommend you read is Graylo's blog and raid guide: http://graymatterwow.blogspot.com/

There is also Hamlet's guide on EJB: http://elitistjerks.com/f73/t110353-bal ... ted_4_1_a/

And this guide at the Moonkin Repository: http://themoonkinrepository.com/viewtop ... =16&t=5853 which has a wealth of information including videos and advice on how to utilize balance power tracker (which is the single most important addon you can get for your boomkin).

Playing a boomkin well requires fight by fight planning to make sure you are in the proper state at different points in the fight - and when done well will give you a significant dps increase over what you are currently doing. Our boomkin is one of the top dpsers in my raid team - and he does everything possible to squeeze out extra damage on a fight by fight basis.

Postby Moonlapse » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:31 pm

Leafkiller mentioned planning before a fight. I'd like to reiterate that. Knowing every second of the fight, the dps targets, and what you will be doing is paramount if you want to do well. You need to plan your eclipses out in entirety (ex.: I will rotate eclipses 3 times while burning the boss before stopping in solar for add damage until all of the adds are down).

In addition to planning eclipses, plan your movement as well. You should be able to anticipate any movement you need to do and you should be in solar spamming sunfire while doing it. You can even do this on fights like sinestra where it is rng if you need to move. Simply watch your timers and allways assume you will get the debuff. It is a marginal dps loss to remain in an eclipse state and not actually having to move while it is a major dps loss to have to move outside of eclipse.

Don't be afraid to do the moonkin dance and bind sunfire to your mousewheel. It really does do allot of damage :D (R.I.P. ;[)

In this tier, you are pretty safe to assume that if it is alive then you should dot it. Take this advice cautiously as there are occasions when you should not do this.

Watch a video of each encounter to learn the timings. I think Greentouch from Intent has some boomkin videos up.

Here is an example of how you can use eclipse managment and solar sunfire spam well. This video is a little old, but I ranked top 30 at the time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCde2pbj5c0

Gl, hf, and get ready to play feral in 4.2 :D
Phovos, Deaths Demise
Druid are have animals inside them.

Return to Resto/Balance