Register

Let's talk about logs (Gearing and Execution advise)

Face-rippin fun.
Honored

Re: Let's talk about logs (Gearing and Execution advise)

Postby Grenache » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:56 am

Just wanted to say how awesome it is that you guys are taking the time to look at people in detail and provide great advice. I have learned so much from of the things you have mentioned to others.

In particular I loved the advice about looking up your WoL report, clicking on your name, then choosing Buffs Cast, and hitting the HASH at the end of each of my major abilities /cooldowns to gain a better understanding of where dots are falling off etc.

I ticked TF, Agility Potion, Savage Roar, Rip, Rake, Beserk and the Ravage proc I can see from that how my Tiger's Fury got out of sync with my Ravage's due to the glyph etc.. it really makes it easier to give you a complete picture.

Mangle uptime seems bugged for some reason though.

Postby Fatherbone » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:40 am

Tinderhoof wrote:
Fatherbone wrote:Hey dudes... I've been playing a feral since late BC, I love it.

Very casual player, only mainly run heroics... Just looking for some general advice and what to pick up next with my VP points. Don't know if this is the right thread.

Thanks for the help!

Fatherbone
Terenas

Hi Father. Welcome to the community.

This would be the correct thread. I would recomend you going for the FD and replace your Alch stone. Make sure to reforge the hit to mastery. Next I would get the boots, followed by the cloak or ring (doesn't matter which) and last the relic.

Awesome, will start working on that... Thanks for the quick reply

Postby feisty » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:01 am

Tinderhoof wrote:Hi Feisty. Welcome to the community.

What you are attempting to to do (walk the line between tank and dps) really gets to show off how flexible we can be. There have been plenty of posts about the ability to be that dps tank spec, but not many people I have seen are trying it. Are you finding that your 10man runs are running into enrage timers thus requiring more dps from you? Or are you just enjoying something a little different?

Gear wise I have a few suggestions. All of these suggestions assume you are using this gear for both tanking and dps. Currently you are wearing your Chef's hat. I saw before you were wearing the enineering goggles, but I didn't see your cogs. Your Meloriak cloak is unenchanted, you should get 22 agi on it. For your boots, if you spend a lot of time in bear you might think about getting the 25 agi/speed enchant. It may be less dps for cat and bear, but at least you will be faster when in bear form. You are not using your third JC gem. 67 agi Do It Now! Replace the glove enchant with 50 strength. 50 mastery is a dps loss for cat, and the extra AP from the strength will still help your shields by adding 132 ap (till 4.2 at least). Reforge your FD to mastery.

Spec wise I also have a few suggestions. Skipping on Master Shapeshifter is a loss for both specs. Here are some areas I would suggest taking some points out of to make sure you pick up MSS. Blood in the Water is great if you are staying cat non stop for the last 25%. If you find that you are shifting to bear any time during that last 25% it's likely the BitW is going to be wasted. You can also think about removing Infected wounds. This won't help your DPS any, and can cause issues with adds if you aren't doing the kiting yourself (Meloriak Vile Swill, Cho'Gall Adherents). You could also take a point out of Pulverize. Based on your last logs you only had a 10% up time for the night. If you keep shifting out of bear form often you are losing vengence, and Pulverize will become less effective. I would also swap out the Lacerate Glyph and the Mangle glyph with Shred and Rip. Mangle and Lacerate don't add much save a little threat, and are really bad for cat. If all you are doing is taunting the boss off for short times then you won't really need the small amount of threat they give.

Hope this helps you out some. If you have any other questions let me know.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've been cat or bear or both for close to 4 years now so I know both specs reasonably well. This hybrid spec really lets me do both jobs on fights where you're not required to tank 100% of the time. Every bit of dps helps on progression fights and I haven't yet seen a fight where my survivability was an issue (Well that's not quite true; if we're facing a challenging new encounter I respec for that extra magical resistance in resto tree). The bear/cat (in this order) spec loses me none of the core bear talents while gaining me most of the core cat talents (barring glyphs). I'm not using the same gear for bear or cat. I have some shared items (tier items namely). I also mix in some cat gear when I'm tanking not so challenging stuff and trash for that extra threat.

I carry two sets of eng goggles (one with mastery/crit cogs and other with dodge/mastery cogs). When you saw my cloak it was fresh out of the bakery house (I got it enchanted within hours). I put +250armor on it since I love me some armor. I should probably enchant 22agi to max my hybrid role, but I'm not too bothered, since I'm still foremost a tank in this patch. I know I should probably switch boot enchants, but I don't miss speed when in cat form and if in dire straits while tanking I use savage roar (Toxitron's Death Grip comes in mind) or Charge to get out of bady bad stuff (Arcanotron's puddles disagree with me, but hey :) ). I'll fix glove enchantasap (didn't realize that str is better than mastery, somehow missed the latest theorycrafting; even +65mastery comes off worse than 50str?). I'm aware of my 3rd JC gem that's missing in my cat spec (I have it in my JC ring for tanking...which was almost BiS at the start of expansion so I used it in both specs. I've since switched it out for the VP haste ring for cat; that's why the gem's missing in that spec). I should put it out of the JC ring and put it into a piece of equipment I use for both specs (pure lazy here...).

Thanks again (for the great imput on my spec this time). Since I'm low on exp/hit I miss a lot of lacerates (and everything else to be truthfull) so it's hard to build up enough stacks and pulverize (before having to shift to cat or switch targets or whatever). I assume you were looking overall info (trash and cat time included). I try to keep pulverize buff up as much as possible on single target fights. I'd probably miss that extra buff to upkeep if I dropped the talent (I'm used to upkeeping bleeds/buffs from cat :) ). I find Infected wounds very useful for trash, but I'll consider dropping one point for MSS. I'll definitely switch glyphs, I have little problem with aggro whatsoever (except for the first 20sec of the fight or so, if the dps goes nuts, which they usually do...but this glyphs doesn't save me now either so...).

Honored

Postby mekell » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:55 pm

edit: Found what i was looking for in another thread. I am going to try to get some logs of our raids over the next week or 2 and see if I can figure out what i can improve on.

Mekell
Last edited by mekell on Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Darkrealm » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:13 pm

Hey Feisty
Good to see another Hybrid feral, I also like using a hybrid setup. But in all honesty, you should listen to Tinderhoof regarding your talent selections. It doesn’t really make sense to give up powerful talents in favour of marginal talents.
Master shape shifter is a flat out 4% damage increase in both forms. It does cost 3 talent points to get but it is still better value than Blood in the Water which is only useful in the last 20% of the fight, and useless for Bears. I have found dropping Blood in the Water to be a minimal dps loss.
Regarding Perseverance, I guess you have to decide if the trade-off between tank survivability and cat dps is worth it. Personally, I find it hard to DPS when I’m dead, and so does the rest of the guild if I’m tanking something at the time. So I tend to favour survivability if the talents I’m giving up are marginal at best. For that reason I would give up on Feral Aggression (especially if you give up BitW). Giving up BitW and Feral Aggression frees up 4 talent points for Mater Shape Shifter and 1 point into Perseverance. Your last 2 points for perseverance could come from either Infected Wounds or Nurturing Instincts. NI is awesome but if I had to choose between that and Perseverance I would choose Perseverance as it gives me the option of being a MT in fights where it is needed.
Really, I think what makes the Hybrid spec viable now is the Enrage change in 4.1 which has meant KotJ is great for bears and cats. So my view is that a viable Hybrid spec is a Bear tank spec which has been altered to make use of KotJ.
Cheers

Postby Revos » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:36 am

I guess its my turn now. I've been following the forum here for quite some time, and have taken what ever info I have been able to get, out of all the wonderfull and helpfull posts in here.

I'm a veteran on the Bear tanking part, but as of cataclysm I got told to play offspec cat, and followed now by being Mainspec Cat and bear offspec. My first full raid as cat was last night, and while being able to control my self, and not messin up too much, I dont feel that im doing the right thing. I know that cats arent the highest dps class in the game, but I dont feel that my perfomance was up to whats required from my gear, and now I am hoping for some advice.

The first problem I have, is that im not 100% on to what stats to aim for - I see alot is going for Expertise cap, where others try to reach the hit cap, and the 3rd option is just to stack Mastery/Crit and ignore everything else. I have been one of those with Crit/Mastery, but seeing the input from various people here, I am thinking of reaching either Expertise or Hitcap.
My gear is reflecting the mess in my head, and I know theres pieces to improve, tho I'm not sure what and where, because of the fact, that I dont really have the conclution on whats worth it and whats not.

One of the problems, and I dont know if its an issue at all, is that I am a spamer and tend to burn my energy, but I am working on keeping calm and not burning everything ( bad habbit from having infinite rage as Bear in wotlk )

Any comments on what to change, improve and such ? Help appriciated :)

Log and gear time !
Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/t ... a/advanced

Logs: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-n42xu ... etails/10/ ( I tanked Halfrus, so keep that out of the equation :) )

Postby Tavi » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:48 pm

I posted some logs here a week or so ago. I made some adjustments based on the feedback I received. Here is a recent V&T kill where it felt I did well but the DPs just doesn't seem right.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/tvgz ... 869&e=1346

Here is my armory, I got an upgrade on my belt but that was later that night.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/h ... s/advanced

How can I boost my dps?

Postby Furocious » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:57 pm

Hi Revos, I'm going to take a stab at helping out(other folks more used to this can correct any errors I make and I'll edit the post to avoid bad info being posted :D )

As far as stats go, top pri is Agility, and then Mastery. By far those 2 stats outweigh anything else. Next stat *used* to be crit and then haste, but with 4.1 the differences between crit, haste, hit, and expertise tend to be minimal. Some folks here as you've noticed have switched to a hit cap + expertise cap build, which sacrifices mastery. I don't have hard numbers on this, but from what I've read going hit+exp cap lowers your peak dps some, but gives you a more even overall dps level. A better way to say it: hit+exp cap'd builds makes your dps bar constant, whereas going full mastery+crit gives you bigger spikes in dps peak and dps valleys.

Regarding your gear, you'll want to put +50 str on your gloves as it still beats out mastery for dps increases.
The only hit you have added that can be moved around is the reforge from your boots and Fluid Death. I'm guessing you don't have a 372 EotC yet from Heroic Halfus, but when that comes along (probably soon since i see you have the heroic malevolence) I'd replace FD with it. Also I'd go haste->crit on your boot reforge (but I'm running a mastery+crit setup with little to no hit/exp). I'm not sure how much of a dps change it would be to min/max like that.

In the end a pretty common thought is to keep just enough hit that you can keep the dps priority queue going. Some folks handle misses without too much trouble, but in some fights missing a rip could mean a large dps loss (such as whiffing on Atramedes as he takes off).

*EDIT* I do suck at reading logs hehe. I'll be working on that */EDIT* Unless I'm reading your logs wrong, I'm seeing a pretty low rip uptime (33% on maloriak, similar on Atramedes). Rake uptime is better, but you really want that 5cp rip ticking away as much as possible. It's ok to 'clip' the last tick or so of rip with a refresh if you've got 5cps and are at the energy cap (or you have to move and it's your last change to apply). After that then you can spend a cp or more on a savage roar, which isn't as important as your dots these days.

Also looking at the maloriak fight, it looks like you were saving tiger's fury some of the time (6 casts over the ~6 min fight). With the exception of making sure you can use it in a burn phase right before you pop beserk, it's a decent boost to pop it as soon as you can (with low energy). I'm not really a log wizard, so I'll let the big guns handle more details investigations.
Last edited by Furocious on Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Honored

Postby Floofles » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:11 pm

Furocious, you do not need to drop mastery to gain hit and expertise. Advising him to reforge haste to crit isn't particularly wrong, it's just rather neutral - he won't gain or lose anything statistically significant from doing that. I disagree with replacing fluid death too but lots of people still love UW for some reason and would disagree.

Your analysis of the logs is fairly basic too, if you want to properly analyse uptimes and such, hit the hash button and have a look. You'll see that on the stand still and roll face bosses he's got a lot of time with things dropping off, you can draw from that that he is either wasting energy on ferocious bite (which he isn't, check the damage breakdowns), reapplying dots reactively (after they completely drop off) or spending too much energy on shred.

Can also see that SR is quite low on fights where it shouldn't be that low (Chimaeron for example), but that could be due to excessive shredding. Tiger's Fury use is quite sporadic, with some fights being fairly consistent, others being very spread apart.

Other than that your analysis was fairly accurate.

Postby Tavi » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Floofles wrote: I disagree with replacing fluid death too but lots of people still love UW for some reason and would disagree.

I'm curious about this statement. I switched to FD to hit my caps but from my understanding UW is going to scale very well in the next patch when we get our weapon upgrades. As it stands its a great trinket. Why no love for UW?

Honored

Postby Floofles » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:14 pm

I have to answer that with a question. Why the love for UW? Is it the 9 DPS higher (which is statistically insignificant) than heroic prestor's in mew? Is it the claims of scaling massively with gear that were based off of various wrong assumptions? I don't see any evidence for any of the claims that this trinket is amazing.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:06 pm

Floofles wrote:Furocious, you do not need to drop mastery to gain hit and expertise.

I believe you both are correct in how you are each phrasing your assertion. The difference is that you are both saying something a little different.

In your case Floofles you have not given up any mastery in your reforging, and your assertion is "You do not need to drop mastery to gain hit and expertise". This is correct.

Furocious is saying is you have to give up mastery to reach both Hit (8%) and Exp (26) caps. This is also correct.

I will say this really is not an all or nothing venture. You do not have to hit those caps to have a much smoother rotation. Based on my playing around with both stats capped, and both stats boosed, but not capped I do prefer keeping max mastery. Floofles is at BIS gear for every slot this tier. This gives a higher level of flexiblity in choosing what to reforge. Based on his experience and skill he is the exception rather then the rule. I also know that the less gear you have the harder it will be to try and get closer to those caps.

Everyone should remember there is no perfect way that we have found to do this. Folks on the forums have ranked very high using both 0 hit/0 expertise (floofles), with moderate amounts of both (myself), and completly capped (qbear). I highly recomend you try both and find what works best for you. If you don't want to waste a bunch of gold like I usually end up doing you should check out http://wowreforge.com/. Great tool.

Honored

Postby Floofles » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:13 pm

On that note I actually find it easier to dps with 0 hit and expertise, don't know why. Get better results with hit and expertise on these fights though as they are ALL aoe or target switching.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:27 pm

Floofles wrote:I have to answer that with a question. Why the love for UW? Is it the 9 DPS higher (which is statistically insignificant) than heroic prestor's in mew? Is it the claims of scaling massively with gear that were based off of various wrong assumptions? I don't see any evidence for any of the claims that this trinket is amazing.

To build on this the UW trinket will sim better then other trinkets on patchwork style fights. If you never have to change target, and spend most of every proc shredding it will likely come out on top. However we all know that none of the current fights or the upcoming 4.2 fights match up with this. Also as the UW proc does not buff bleeds or swipe it loses some of the "sim'd" shine.

Postby m4rtini » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:47 pm

Hello

Here is my two latest logs.
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/y8pn587kyxz4n3t1/
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/lx57fqxju80dhiz4/

My armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/n ... i/advanced

For the last one i switched out some gear and reforged for some hit and expertise to test it out. And from the looks of it, it gave me a decent dps boost.

Ranked on Halfus, and close to ranking on V&T and Chogall. Never seem to get any decent damage done on council tho. Any tips on what i can do to get some more damage out?

Edit: Today's raid log http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/m4xuwq771wgmikv6/
Last edited by m4rtini on Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Tavi wrote:I posted some logs here a week or so ago. I made some adjustments based on the feedback I received. Here is a recent V&T kill where it felt I did well but the DPs just doesn't seem right.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/tvgz ... 869&e=1346

Here is my armory, I got an upgrade on my belt but that was later that night.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/h ... s/advanced

How can I boost my dps?

Hey Tavi.

You are doing very well on this fight. Pretty much the only things I can offer to elevate your dps anymore would be 1. Keep SR up a little more (89%). There is a big chunk of time before the first transition that it was down. Remember it only takes one combo point ot get it back up. 2. Dropping herblism for a higher return profession. 3. A little more gear. You are pretty much compeating with folks that are full BIS, and have raid buffs like DI, and Frenzie.

Honored

Postby Floofles » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:39 pm

If you renewed rip as the guys fly up and used charge off CD that would be a good log, Tavi.

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:00 am

Floofles wrote:I have to answer that with a question. Why the love for UW? Is it the 9 DPS higher (which is statistically insignificant) than heroic prestor's in mew? Is it the claims of scaling massively with gear that were based off of various wrong assumptions? I don't see any evidence for any of the claims that this trinket is amazing.

Not everyone has access to heroic Prestor's, not to mention heroic Prestor's is worth a lot more to a mut rogue than it is to us - so it not just a question of having heroic nef down, but also one of farming it for awhile. UW is readily available to a starting feral in possession of a little gold. Just sayin ;)

Honored

Postby Floofles » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:40 am

I'm not even suggesting that you use prestor's, i'm saying you should use Fluid Death and heroic cyclone.

Postby Arthaei » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:54 pm

Just curious at what point will the agreed upon best combination of gear actually agree with what Mew suggests? all these different combinations all within 15 dps of each other can't be accurate at all in real terms. I always thought UW's proc was very nice except that countless things can royally screw it up leaving us with a sub-standard trinket when the proc is on cd, Prestor's has a nice amount of agi but the haste proc doesn't really amount to much compared to the even higher agi and mastery boost from FD. If Mew simply models everything on a Patchwerk fight then it couldn't be further from what current and future raid content is like except for Chimaeron and the BH bosses.

Floofles wrote:On that note I actually find it easier to dps with 0 hit and expertise, don't know why. Get better results with hit and expertise on these fights though as they are ALL aoe or target switching.

Probably from easier cp generation with higher crit.
"Many druids died to bring us this information"

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:00 pm

Arthaei wrote:If Mew simply models everything on a Patchwerk fight then it couldn't be further from what current and future raid content is like except for Chimaeron and the BH bosses.

Mew is a simulation engine that models combat. The characteristics of the fight are based on the simulation script which is easily modified, although you do require some programming knowledge as it is written in Java. For instance, I have a version of the script that emulates Atramedes which I include in my testing. I also test with fights that have in-combat feral charging.

I have talked to Yawning about adding support to Mew for multiple targets and other fight mechanics - but it is really a question of how motivated he is (he has been doing a fair amount of work on Mew lately but most of it has been 4.2 changes and performance improvements and, of course, he no longer plays WoW). I think there is plenty of room for us to create interesting and varied fight scenarios in the current version of Mew, if there are a few people who have some programming knowledge and time to invest in some script crafting.

In truth, outside of getting the highest ilvl gear out there, gemming for agility, and picking some decent glyphs and trinkets, there is not a lot you can do gear wise to significantly improve your DPS. How you perform on a given fight, RNG, how your raid leader has the fight setup, what your role is, and what raid buffs you have will have a much greater impact than any gearing choices. This thread is valuable because it is focusing on player performance rather than trying to eek out an additional small amount of DPS from gearing changes.

Postby feisty » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:22 pm

Darkrealm wrote:Hey Feisty
Good to see another Hybrid feral, I also like using a hybrid setup. But in all honesty, you should listen to Tinderhoof regarding your talent selections. It doesn’t really make sense to give up powerful talents in favour of marginal talents.
Master shape shifter is a flat out 4% damage increase in both forms. It does cost 3 talent points to get but it is still better value than Blood in the Water which is only useful in the last 20% of the fight, and useless for Bears. I have found dropping Blood in the Water to be a minimal dps loss.
Regarding Perseverance, I guess you have to decide if the trade-off between tank survivability and cat dps is worth it. Personally, I find it hard to DPS when I’m dead, and so does the rest of the guild if I’m tanking something at the time. So I tend to favour survivability if the talents I’m giving up are marginal at best. For that reason I would give up on Feral Aggression (especially if you give up BitW). Giving up BitW and Feral Aggression frees up 4 talent points for Mater Shape Shifter and 1 point into Perseverance. Your last 2 points for perseverance could come from either Infected Wounds or Nurturing Instincts. NI is awesome but if I had to choose between that and Perseverance I would choose Perseverance as it gives me the option of being a MT in fights where it is needed.
Really, I think what makes the Hybrid spec viable now is the Enrage change in 4.1 which has meant KotJ is great for bears and cats. So my view is that a viable Hybrid spec is a Bear tank spec which has been altered to make use of KotJ.
Cheers

Made the appropriate adjustments. Cheers.

Postby Fuzzywuzy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:15 pm

I seem to have reached my cap of whats possible.

Am I right or is there still some way of improvement?

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/D ... y/advanced
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/mzsqdbnxq5xob47m/

(Dont mind chim, I went restokin for that and Nef was learning attempts so hard to judge)

Postby Jabarlek » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:40 pm

Well, finally got logs up and running, so I figured I'd go ahead a post our(somewhat embarrassing first few) attempts at heroic Atramedes and the rest of the stuff for that night and the next. http://worldoflogs.com/guilds/139969/.

Ignore Maloriak and Chimaeron because I was tanking for both of them
The majority of the time.

Anyhow, any advise will be greatly appreciated:)

P.S. Won heroic sark on the Atramedes kill, so I was a happy kitty.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:54 pm

Fuzzywuzy wrote:I seem to have reached my cap of whats possible.

Am I right or is there still some way of improvement?

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/D ... y/advanced
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/mzsqdbnxq5xob47m/

(Dont mind chim, I went restokin for that and Nef was learning attempts so hard to judge)

Hey Fuzzy. Welcome to the community.

I honestly haven't run the normal Meloriak in so long I am not going to be a good judge about your fight there. I do have some tips for your Atramedes fight though.

Spec first. I would highly recomend you take one point out of Furor and put it into Predatory Strikes. Furor isn't a huge deal unless you are a bear. Sure you might not gain as much energy back if you shift, but the big boost to Ravages crit is worth the switch. Also get the glyph of FF to put in your empty major glyph slot. It won't help dps but its nice to have.

For the Atramedes fight I noticed a few things. You really need to try and refresh your Rip and Rake if you can just before he flys off. If you didn't know when he starts getting ready to take off you still have a few seconds to get hits in. If you do find that he has taken off before you could get a rip off, don't refresh Savage Roar with those combo points. Save them for when he lands again and you can get Rip going right away. Also you should do your best to get a Feral Charge in on the pull and every time he lands. It's 10 energy for a free hit and 1-2 combo points. You can't beat that. I would also suggest that you try and get in more then one berserk. It looks like you saved your one for when he landed the 3rd time. You should be able to use one at the start and have it up for the 3rd landing as well.

I know this is kind of a wall of text to look at. I suggest you pick one suggestion above and really try to work on it till its second nature, then try the next one. You will do fine.

PreviousNext

Return to Kitty DPS