Register

Off Spec Question

Observe my Growling Bear style. I block blows...with my FACE.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Off Spec Question

Postby Zestee » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:47 am

Hi all,

My main spec is kitty dps and my off spec is resto atm, I was thinking of going feral bear tank as my off spec. My main question deals with gems and enchants. Do I re gem and enchant all my gear or do I go with the dps gems and enchants I have when I go tank spec?

Re: Off Spec Question

Postby Lax » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:57 am

That really depends on what you will be tanking and what your gear level is.

Honored

Postby BigTwoHorns » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:11 am

IMO I would try to get a set of tank gear instead of using your dps gear unless you can afford to re-gem and enchant every time you change spec. Both specs have their + and - when it comes to what stats you need for that particular role. With the equipment manager and the ability to change spec on the fly you can switch roles quickly without having to take the time to re-gem and enchant every peice you have on if you get an off spec set of gear.
A GOOD PLAN VIOLENTLY EXECUTED NOW IS BETTER THAN A PERFECT PLAN EXECUTED NEXT WEEK.
GEORGE S. PATTON

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/akama/bigtwohorns/simple

Revered

Postby Sylvaneart » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:24 pm

Welcome to TFD I moved this to bear section since it is a bear discussion.
Be sure to subscribe to The Fluid Druid RSS feed and follow me on twitter! @Sylvaneart

Revered

Postby Jeshu » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:55 am

Bear gear and kitty gear is mostly the same except for trinkets. Gemming is exactly the same, and enchants are mostly the same as well, the only difference really being about 490 armor versus around 22 Agility and 50 Strength on the back and glove enchants.

The main differences come in two places: (1) the meta gem and (2) reforging to dodge. You should definitely get a different helm and put a tanking meta gem and probably the tanking helm enchant on it. That would cover about 2% armor difference, which is significant. As for reforging, at my gear level (ilevel 357) with almost every piece of gear being mastery plus some other secondary stat, the difference between full cat reforge and bear reforge is about 800 dodge rating, which is about 4.5% dodge. You'll be taking that much more damage. If your healers are comfortable with healing the extra damage, then don't bother with reforging for bear and just keep your kitty gear intact.

Postby dozzerr » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:33 am

I basically use the same gear and enchants when switching from kitty to bear, i will change out head and shoulder enchants, and put on different trinkets and legs which are gemed and enchanted for tanking. Now once i get another helm, shoulders, and back i will gem and enchant those a little differently to give the extra mitigation. It is all up to you and how much damage your healers are willing to heal through. You can see my dps gear here but my head and shoulders have the tanking enchants on them http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/d ... err/simple

Honored

Postby Morghan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:13 pm

I use mostly kitty gear when tanking as well, swap a trink or 2, have a 353 ZA helm with tank meta and don't bother reforging Dodge. I wouldn't try to do heroics with this setup, but we downed Cho'gall last night for the first time with me as Add tank, and swapping into kitty between Fury of chogall swaps in phase 2.

Healers have an easier time with me doing it this way than some of our regular tanks who are lesser geared (warriors)

I also run agility flask too for extra avoidance...the extra stam is nice but I was having no issues with getting close to death so 5k ish HP wouldnt make a helluva difference.

Return to Bear Tanking