Register

Sylv's Snippets 4: Are you ready for 4.2

Syl's random ramblings.
Revered

Re: Sylv's Snippets 4: Are you ready for 4.2

Postby shinryu » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:01 am

Eh, that and there is I guess a sense of accomplishment. For example, I made fun of my one friend that he better get at least 12/12 done before 4.2 comes and they're all nerfed...I mean, it is nice to clear content while relevant rather than trivializing it with better gear later. To me it's not so much being elitist and outgearing everyone else or anything, it's seeing stuff while relevant because it sorta looses luster when it's old...I mean, how many people nowdays run like H Lich King for the title for the heck of it? Things like that...I don't even use my Defender of a Shattered World title anymore since it'll become commonplace fairly quickly and is becoming more common.

Honored

Postby adianar » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:38 am

Our guild uses a Sunday night "voluntary night" to go back and get random titles/achievements folks have missed out on. Drakes or other titles that people needed one more kill to get. Worse case, we just do the mount bosses in a fun environment. We seven manned 25 Sarth last Saturday amongst other things trying to get mounts..

Adi

Honored

Postby felhoof » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:17 pm

See, I totally get wanting to get stuff done before the next release and before it's been nerfed either actually or effectively via gear.

What I don't get is paying another guild for the opportunity to be carried so that you can do it. If there was some achievement or mount you could only get prior to 4.2 that'd be one thing - but all he's doing is getting carried by a guild so he can say he has the achievements. THat's it. He's not doing the content by himself, he's not learning the fights, he's not earned anything. He's a tourist.

As far as doing older stuff - our guild would consistently do older stuff if it was a challenge and we hadn't completed it. We were running Ulduar long after ToC came out (and killed Yogg-0 after we killed HAnub). Depends I guess on what you're into, but there's a big difference between killing bosses you haven't killed in a different patch and killing bosses you haven't killed in a different expansion.

Revered

Postby Sylvaneart » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:57 pm

1 guild on our server is 13/13 in 10 man. We are the farthest progressed 25man at 6/13. I you want to pay for a kill or gear or whatever I don't really care. It is your money so do what you want. BUT.......When you are in a guild that is trying to achieve something and you do this I have a big problem. We are still raiding. We arn't done. We don't allow pugging of current content so this just dosn't fly with me. Why am I showing up and helping and doing my part every week? I should just jump ship pay for a kill and come back to my raid spot? I should delete this whole thread becouse the more i think about this the angrier I get.
Be sure to subscribe to The Fluid Druid RSS feed and follow me on twitter! @Sylvaneart

Revered

Postby shinryu » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:18 pm

I do agree it's odd a person would want to pay real life money...that seems a bit excessive. Then again, people waste real life money on various thing like blizz mounts, tcg loot cards, and pay gold to be carried for titles like back in ulduar, so in that regard it's not too odd. If it gives the guy satisfaction, let him throw away his money lol, not like we don't burn enough per month on subscription fees anyways.

Honored

Postby mekell » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:17 pm

I feel like i am ready. My guild isnt any where near as advanced as many of the posters (we generally do not do hardmodes given our schedule). We are 12/12N killing nefarian about a month ago now, which for us was quite an achievement. I am still working on perfecting things having to do with optimizing keeping bleeds up and pooling energy when doing with target switches, etc (which i have been practicing, and doing better at, but at the cost of a couple other things at this point).

That said, those are all things outside the scope of 4.2. I am not sure if i am ready for another series of daily quest grinds, but its better than what I am doing now, which is nothing, i suppose. Also, i am not sure if i am looking forward to the weekly heroic caps to try to eek out every single point of valor i can each week, but i am most certainly looking forward to fire kitty. I am certainly looking forward to learning new bosses and trying to figure them out, and figuring out how to apply all the stuff i learn to those encounters.

Our guild has a hunter and it remains to be seen how the staff will play out. I am friends with everyone in the guild, so regardless of what happens, they will go back until i get my staff even if its not the first one.

I pondered swapping my professions around (namely dropping herbalism for something, since its less than optimal), but i have decided to hold off and see. Maybe ill pick up JC or Engineering. I have my mastery to gloves enchant ready to go.

All in all, i think i'm ready, and I am certainly looking forward to something different to focus on, if only for a bit.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:55 am

mekell wrote:I feel like i am ready. My guild isnt any where near as advanced as many of the posters (we generally do not do hardmodes given our schedule). We are 12/12N killing nefarian about a month ago now, which for us was quite an achievement. I am still working on perfecting things having to do with optimizing keeping bleeds up and pooling energy when doing with target switches, etc (which i have been practicing, and doing better at, but at the cost of a couple other things at this point).

That said, those are all things outside the scope of 4.2. I am not sure if i am ready for another series of daily quest grinds, but its better than what I am doing now, which is nothing, i suppose. Also, i am not sure if i am looking forward to the weekly heroic caps to try to eek out every single point of valor i can each week, but i am most certainly looking forward to fire kitty. I am certainly looking forward to learning new bosses and trying to figure them out, and figuring out how to apply all the stuff i learn to those encounters.

Our guild has a hunter and it remains to be seen how the staff will play out. I am friends with everyone in the guild, so regardless of what happens, they will go back until i get my staff even if its not the first one.

I pondered swapping my professions around (namely dropping herbalism for something, since its less than optimal), but i have decided to hold off and see. Maybe ill pick up JC or Engineering. I have my mastery to gloves enchant ready to go.

All in all, i think i'm ready, and I am certainly looking forward to something different to focus on, if only for a bit.

Tell the hunter to aim for the polearm instead, it even drops off one of the 4 earlier bosses before Staghelm iirc. And offer to pass on it of course if they'll pass on firecat staff for you. As for me, if the hunter I raid with contests me for it, I'm whipping out the dps recount lol.

I honestly wonder if there's any point in doing the grindy daily quests myself personally; yeah they offer 378 patterns eventually, but given it's what, I think like a month min to access just the one vendor, odds are something could have dropped by then in Firelands anyways right? Sure, you can make and sell them, but then there's the whole process of mat gathering, etc etc when you can just farm up raw mats that will be in demand as well and probably sell enough of them to make as much gold...now compound by the fact you'll have to do them on alts with different profs as well and I see it as nothing but a miserable time sink. I mean, traditionally crafted gear has never been that super great anyways right, as if they were itemized right, that would defeat the purpose of raiding for the drops right?

Postby Lax » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:42 am

I'm going to do the dailies just to get the new bag patterns for LW and tailoring. They are going to be a gold mine if you get to them first.

Honored

Postby mekell » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:29 am

There is also a crafted polearm too for relatively cheap. But being from the Armaments vendor, will be almost a month before we see anyone with that pattern.

Regarding the daily quest grind, my guild still doesn't have the 55 exalted reps, so this will help towards that (there are 2 new factions i believe, one raid faction and one regular faction). The dailies wont help with the raid faction, but the raiding we will be doing will.

I will probably do them regardless just to have something to do, and since my guild seems to progress a little slower than the average raiding guild (we didnt kill nef until the end of may), it may be a while before i see the drops i need anyways.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:36 am

I offered to buy the Hunter in my guild one of the BoE Polearms if we hit Staghelm drops it and she doesn't have a 378 weapon yet.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:26 pm

Lax wrote:I'm going to do the dailies just to get the new bag patterns for LW and tailoring. They are going to be a gold mine if you get to them first.

I know this might sound noobish, but people actually use those bags? I mean unless you're a hardcore mat-gathering only toon where you spend some hours and hours to farm mats, I don't see how you could even fill a 16 slot bag with enough leather or herbs just like that without going crazy lol.

Postby Lax » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:29 pm

shinryu wrote:
Lax wrote:I'm going to do the dailies just to get the new bag patterns for LW and tailoring. They are going to be a gold mine if you get to them first.

I know this might sound noobish, but people actually use those bags? I mean unless you're a hardcore mat-gathering only toon where you spend some hours and hours to farm mats, I don't see how you could even fill a 16 slot bag with enough leather or herbs just like that without going crazy lol.

The past 3½ months I have sold 106 mining bags and 73 LW bags. The profit pr bag is about 250g ...

Revered

Postby shinryu » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:23 pm

Hmm, maybe it's time to check prices and whip out the heavy borean...

Honored

Postby felhoof » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:13 pm

I honestly wonder if there's any point in doing the grindy daily quests myself personally; yeah they offer 378 patterns eventually
Actually they don't; the grindy daily quests only offer 365-level gear and patterns and the new bags.

The 378 patterns almost certainly drop from raid drops since they require raid resources.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:54 pm

felhoof wrote:
I honestly wonder if there's any point in doing the grindy daily quests myself personally; yeah they offer 378 patterns eventually
Actually they don't; the grindy daily quests only offer 365-level gear and patterns and the new bags.

The 378 patterns almost certainly drop from raid drops since they require raid resources.

Not necessarily, granted Ulduar and ToC did, but ICC had them buyable from Ashen Verdict, and I mean what incentive is there to do any of their new daily grinding if they don't offer the patterns besides maybe gearing an alt or making money? And as these living/eternal ember things are allegedly buyable with vp, it's not like you have to raid exclusively for them...

That being said though, I would actually prefer if the 378 patterns were drops, would save me plenty of trouble lol. I'll take a random stab at the hated rng, just as long as I or the resto get the pattern (we're both LW), fine with me lol. That or give up a month of my life to grind dailies, no thanks lol.

Honored

Postby felhoof » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:41 am

Okay, I'll say it another way.

No known vendor sells the patterns.

They are not a guaranteed or even random drop from any bosses.

They are not a reward from any quest.

Now, all of those things could change in the 3 days until the patch. But it's unlikely, and all the other patterns that require raid resources have either been random drops from those raids or require rep from doing those raids. In either case, it isn't a grind outside of raiding.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:52 am

felhoof wrote:Okay, I'll say it another way.

No known vendor sells the patterns.

They are not a guaranteed or even random drop from any bosses.

They are not a reward from any quest.

Now, all of those things could change in the 3 days until the patch. But it's unlikely, and all the other patterns that require raid resources have either been random drops from those raids or require rep from doing those raids. In either case, it isn't a grind outside of raiding.

Uh oh...because the 4th possibility is they won't be included at all :o

That would be a bit of a downer...

Previous

Return to Syl's Snippets