Register

Alysrazor

Site Admin

Alysrazor

Postby Alaron » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:32 pm

This topic is for discussing Feral DPS tactics and/or general raid strategies for the Alysrazor encounter.

When discussing, please mention raid size (10/25) and difficulty (normal/heroic).

Feral Videos:
Qbear:http://www.youtube.com/user/FluidDruidVids?feature=mhum#p/a/u/2/vS52IkIKnBA
Mangle:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJytmXOyL4c&feature=channel_video_title

Re: Alysrazor

Postby mangle » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:31 am

When doing Alysrazor 25m last night I tried a couple of things. 5 Melee were sent up to do the Mini-game so I tried two things. First playing really zoomed out hoping that would make it easier to see the rings appear from far. Unfortunately that messed up my depth perception so I would be too far from the ring and it would despawn. However once I zoomed my camera angle in it became a lot easier to simply strafe left and right (I've unbound my sit/down key so I move awkwardly a lot). I'm uploading our kill video as we speak and will post it once it finishes.

The only other thing I would recommend is creating a power aura for when your flying buff will drop so you can see the CD on it. Every time you go through a ring it will refresh to 14 seconds which would mean you have a chance to mess up a couple rings before needing another.

It was a real mess trying to keep up with dot timers however, so in the video things drop a lot. With the 100% haste buff and energy regen (which replenishes every time you go through a ring if I understood that correctly) I found myself Ferocious Biting fairly often.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:52 pm

Something I noticed last night. If you are one of the lucky ones that are playing pilotwings with the boss in the air you can get the buff "Alysya's Razor" which is 75% crit. Trinkets that have a crit proc maybe less useful during this fight if you are able to keep this buff up as long as possible.

You get Alysya's Razor by hitting the fire rings and getting your Blazing Power debuff stack up to 25. Perfect use of this will ensure 100% crit and 200% hsate during the major burn phases.

Postby bleedsofedge » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:39 pm

Was it just me or was Skull Bash unusable on this fight (25s)?

Revered

Postby Stenhaldi » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:51 pm

Skull bash is broken in Firelands. It initially worked in my raid but at one point it simply ceased to be usable throughout the zone.

Edit: here is one bug report.

Postby bleedsofedge » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:26 pm

Skull bash is broken in Firelands. It initially worked in my raid but at one point it simply ceased to be usable throughout the zone.

Ah, thanks. I didn't even notice until I was trying to interrupt the initiates.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:37 pm

bleedsofedge wrote:

Ah, thanks. I didn't even notice until I was trying to interrupt the initiates.

Does anyone know if this bug on Skull Bash just affects it or all interrupt abilities? Might have to bring in my rogue otherwise tonight...kinda sucked not being able to skull bash anything, I thought I was just not watching my energy or something last night, but guess there is a bug.

Honored

Postby felhoof » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:54 pm

It only affects skull bash. All other interrupting abilities appear to be fine.

Honored

Postby Ekthelion » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:27 am

My guild hasn't killed birdy yet but i was able to interrupt the thrash mobs, like Cauterizer before the spider so if the skullbash is broken, it must be only under some specific conditions.

going back to birdy - any general tips for a feral on this fight?
Da Vuhdo iz wid'ya mon!

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:35 am

Ekthelion wrote:My guild hasn't killed birdy yet but i was able to interrupt the thrash mobs, like Cauterizer before the spider so if the skullbash is broken, it must be only under some specific conditions.

going back to birdy - any general tips for a feral on this fight?

Was hot fixed today.

Postby Kallapryy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:54 am

Some things I noted that helped us on our kill:

You can dps the boss while she is dropping feathers as long as you are not in front of her (can use sprint and feral charge here effectively). I was able to attack the bird while it was still coming in for a landing even though it appears to be out of range.

Berserk was always up during her burn phases as long as I used it on the pull.

We split killing initiates into two teams and did as much dmg to the big birds as possible while running between initiate spawns.

For tornadoes I found that it sprinting behind one was just as effective for me reducing damage as short strafing back and forth between two lanes of them of them.

Postby mangle » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:37 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJytmXOy ... ideo_title

If anyone wants to see the PoV I promised earlier!

Postby Flea » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:21 pm

Question...we tried this on 10 man, and it seems like we can't get the hatchlings to die fast enough. We end up going into the tornado transition phase with both alive, though at very low percentages, and we aren't able to finish them off/one of the tanks dies because we're trying to dodge tornadoes and kill hatchlings at the same time.

Our group isn't exactly undergeared and our DPS is high, so we are having a hard time figuring out where our problem is.
Last edited by Flea on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Revered

Postby Dysheki » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:05 am

Flea, the tank tanking the add needs to be imprinted - http://www.wowhead.com/spell=99389

They get this by being the first aggro target, so the tank should be the only one near it when it spawns.

All the tanks need to be worried about doing high dps. dpsers will help them kill the add if they can, but a majority of the damage needs to come from the tank with that buff.

Honored

Postby Rarge » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:12 pm

This is a crappy fight as a feral in 10man; at least phase one is.

I couldn't interrupt every Fieroblast with the initiates because they cast it more than once every 10seconds, I couldn't get behind the mob to shred as you get aggro and they twizzle facing you and you can't kill them fast enough to have them only cast Fieroblast once.

Then the initiates spawn everywhere and not in an orderly fashion. They start out orderly, two at a time then they start coming in drips and drabs. urgh.

We only have 2 melee, me and an Enhancement Shaman. We have our SP or Boomkin in the air with a mage/warlock on the ground.

Any tips?

Revered

Postby shinryu » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:38 am

So when we're gonna attempt this, I think I was going to be assigned to fly...any advice on that? Sounds like most people are getting stuck on the ground, so kinda curious if anyone's done this bit.

Revered

Postby Sylvaneart » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:46 am

shinryu wrote:So when we're gonna attempt this, I think I was going to be assigned to fly...any advice on that? Sounds like most people are getting stuck on the ground, so kinda curious if anyone's done this bit.

It is very simple. bird comes out and does knock back, followed by cleave. As the bird is cleaving across the middle she drops feather behind her. get 3 and head on up. If you can't get 3 feathers it is becouse people that arnt supposed to get feathers are. Once in the air you must fly through the little rings to both stack and refreash your flying buff. if you miss some rings you will fall get 1 feather and go back up. During whilewind phase you will be grounded but there are rings on the ground. continue to get the rings on the ground so that when the phase ends you go right back up with many stacks.
Be sure to subscribe to The Fluid Druid RSS feed and follow me on twitter! @Sylvaneart

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:54 am

@ Rarge, tell your raid leader that since you are not a GCD Capped Class and its difficult to get behind the adds, that the most beneficial place for you to be to help the raid, is in the air.

Not being a GCD capped class means that the more haste you get, the more attacks you will be able to do vs. what you would normally be able to do. For Ferals, especially ones that are stacking Hit/Exp > Mastery > Crit, this will be huge. Once you start getting into the teens, IIRC, you are practically in a Berserk Phase with your energy regen.

Postby Racionen » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:30 pm

Sylvaneart's post is pretty much it, but here's a few more details. If you played Starfox on N64, it's effectively the same game. The most important rings to get are the first one, and the first one after she goes through the middle. Those are the times I found my stacks getting the closest to falling off. You do want every single ring possible because they give 8% haste per stack up to 25 stacks. Once you're at 25 stacks, you gain Alysra's Razor which is 75% increased chance to crit. At that point, it's a shred/bite fest while maintaining bleeds and buffs.

When she heads down to swoop through the middle, you'll want to stay a bit off the ground so you can continue grabbing rings. There's two or three during that time, and they're easy to get. At the end of her flying phase, make sure you land when she does, otherwise you'll take a 50k per second tick for being too far from the fiery vortex.

During the tornadoes, there will be a few more rings on the ground. Prioritize staying alive (because dead DPS = 0 dps), and if you can, grab 1-2 of these rings to maintain the haste/crit buffs.

After last night, I think I've convinced our officers that rogues and ferals should be flying for exactly the reason Konungr mentioned: we aren't GCD capped.

EDIT: Oh, and have fun with this one! It's my favorite DPS fight so far!

Revered

Postby shinryu » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:22 pm

Well good thing I've played Starfox 64 in the past...does a donkey tell you to do a barrel roll as well? XD

Sounds fun, so basically I am just DPSing Alysrazor the whole time then right? Couldn't ask for an easier job lol.

Postby Racionen » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:33 am

shinryu wrote:Well good thing I've played Starfox 64 in the past...does a donkey tell you to do a barrel roll as well? XD

Sounds fun, so basically I am just DPSing Alysrazor the whole time then right? Couldn't ask for an easier job lol.

No, no NPCs saying "Do a barrel roll!" The related achievement is http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=5813, though. I am tempted to macro my Ferocious Bite to "/yell Peppy: Do a barrel roll!"

I wouldn't say only DPSing Alysrazor is an easy job, though our Starfoxes tended to survive better than most. Flying through the air is very hectic, and adding significant haste buffs doesn't help with maintaining a decent rotation.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:01 am

Racionen wrote:
shinryu wrote:Well good thing I've played Starfox 64 in the past...does a donkey tell you to do a barrel roll as well? XD

No, no NPCs saying "Do a barrel roll!" The related achievement is http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=5813, though. I am tempted to macro my Ferocious Bite to "/yell Peppy: Do a barrel roll!"

I wouldn't say only DPSing Alysrazor is an easy job, though our Starfoxes tended to survive better than most. Flying through the air is very hectic, and adding significant haste buffs doesn't help with maintaining a decent rotation.

Guess it depends on your perspective, I'm a fairly good pilot when it comes to videogames, so this is pretty fun for me, I'm loving it lol.

Question though, should we be doing 1 or 2 people up in the air? Been just me so far during our learning process, but I think I remember seeing a vid showing 2...any opinions?

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:08 am

Depends on how your guild wants to set it up.

I'm not entirely sure what all goes down below, since I was able to convince my Raid Leader I needed to be up in the air. (Non-GCD Capped Class, Not Specced for Interrupt - 25 Energy is outrageous in proportion to the DPS lost by using it, compared to warriors who get buffs for using theirs, etc) 250%+ Haste and 113% Crit is NICE for the Burnout Phase.

Keep in mind that the rings disappear almost immediately after being used, so unless the other person is stacked right on top of you, which is almost impossible on the X-Y-Z plane, it will make it a lot harder for 2 people to get to 25 stacks, let alone maintain them.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:05 am

Konungr wrote:Depends on how your guild wants to set it up.

I'm not entirely sure what all goes down below, since I was able to convince my Raid Leader I needed to be up in the air. (Non-GCD Capped Class, Not Specced for Interrupt - 25 Energy is outrageous in proportion to the DPS lost by using it, compared to warriors who get buffs for using theirs, etc) 250%+ Haste and 113% Crit is NICE for the Burnout Phase.

Keep in mind that the rings disappear almost immediately after being used, so unless the other person is stacked right on top of you, which is almost impossible on the X-Y-Z plane, it will make it a lot harder for 2 people to get to 25 stacks, let alone maintain them.

Yeah...well I'm on the flying mainly because I'm the highest DPSer in our guild I suspect, so that's the most damage done to Alysrazor after all. The vid I saw on LearnToRaid looked like they were alternating the rings with 2 people, but I dunno if that works at all or not, just wondering...what do you usually get her down to by the time it goes into the grounded phase?

But yeah, something wrong keeps happening on the ground (we're definitely missing something, as it's a wipe just a min or so into it), so I've yet to even get all 25 rings lol. Baelroc is definitely much easier, I suspect we're gonna be stuck on Alys for a while...I'm guessing you can't attack Staghelm till Alys dies.

Revered

Postby Qbear » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:21 am

Konungr wrote:Depends on how your guild wants to set it up.

Is this in 10m? In 25m the rings remain for all for 3 secs after they first pop we tested it over a lot of time; however I could see how this is a 25m only time frame due to usually sending more then 2 up top.

Next

Return to Boss Archives