Register

Lord Rhyolith

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Site Admin

Lord Rhyolith

Postby Alaron » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:31 pm

This topic is for discussing Feral DPS tactics and/or general raid strategies for the Lord Rhyolith encounter.

When discussing, please mention raid size (10/25) and difficulty (normal/heroic).

Re: Lord Rhyolith

Postby Malfathin » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:33 am

First of all hello to all my fellow feral druids. I've been a lurker here in the forums for a while, but this is actually my first post.

I have a couple of questions regarding our big rock friend Mr. Rhyolith. First of all, as a kitty, I was assigned to steering the big guy around, and I could not really grasp exactly what makes him turn. Is it how much damage you deal to a leg? or how many hits you get on that leg? While I think it is the amount of damage that actually causes the turn bar to fill, it felt a little random, with the same people hitting the same leg, sometimes it was pretty hard to make him turn, and sometimes he turned pretty fast. I have heard that if you just hit on the same leg for too long it becomes harder to make him turn in that direction, so you'd have to alternate more (which makes sense considering the achievement is to never make him turn left during the fight). Do any of you know if that information is correct? I will try to alternate more tonight, and I'll come back with feedback on that.

Another question is about our bleeds. Since I didn't really get what makes him turn, if it's direct damage, or simply damage, or anything else, I'm refraining from putting my DoTs on the legs, afraid that it'll make things harder when we switch legs and try to turn him the other way. Can anyone tell me if the bleeds will fill the turn bar? If they don't, do you think I should try to maximize my damage by getting rake and rip up on both legs as much as possible?

BTW, I'm raiding on 10m, we tried this fight both with 1tank, 3healers, 3melee on the legs and 3ranged on the adds; and 4melee on the boss and 2ranged on the adds. The second setup seemed to work better, we got him to 53% hp and only 10stacks of armor left, shame two melee died when a stomp knocked them on the lava trail from one of the craters.

I thank you all for any help on this. We should try to get him down tonight, and maybe Shannox or Beth'thilac as well (if we're really lucy, we'll get both ^^). Wish me luck and lots of crits! =D

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:04 am

The more damage you put into one leg, the faster the other leg will go, which means the faster he will turn. The bar will help you gauge and it will constantly be trying to reset its position to straight, much like a steering wheel. Learning to control his movement is by far the most difficult part of the fight, since you have to learn how to move him around, then get him to only hit the active volcanoes and leave the dormant ones alone.

If you need him to make a sharp turn, there are 1 of 2 ways: Have everyone switch to him and pump some burst into the leg you need, or, while he is doing his stomp, unload as much as you can into him. If you want him to go in a straight line, do minimal damage, or split damage between the legs.

I'm not sure about bleeds, I'm sure they affect his movement, but I wouldn't neglect putting them up either. If you need him to go straight and his bar is full to one side, just hop on the other leg for a few seconds and his turn gauge will center itself pretty fast.

Postby Kallapryy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:36 am

'Driving' is much easier as long as only your assigned targets are attacking the legs. If your other non driving classes dot the legs (for us our melee were driving split into two teams) it only driving this boss harder for the driver teams.

One tip also discovered in our four attempts is try to time a jump right before his stomp abilty lands. It will prevent the knockback and the damage.

Postby Malfathin » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:07 am

A jump avoids the damage? That's really nice, I'll try to do that. If it does work, it'll really feel like Assad, I'll just jump through the whole cast bar so my lag won't screw me up xD

Oh, another thing. Since I wasn't using my bleeds (tonight I'll try using them and see waht happens, but anyway), I was using my 5CP with a 50 energy FB, in order to try and make him turn more. Is that a good idea, or should I just keep using shred, and if using bleeds keep rip up?

Postby Tavi » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:10 am

We split our melee dps and we stayed on the legs full time full out dps, yay for his armor 3300 crits ftw, and had 3 ranged drivers who would alternate on the legs to turn him. The rest killed the adds. Worked out super well. This seemed like the easiest fight we've killed so far. (Shann, Beth, Rhyo, working on the bird currently)

Logs for the kill.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/q11gqj7dtghmhjb6/sum/damageDone/?s=3293&e=3602

Got the cloak off him too :D

Postby Kallapryy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:28 pm

Malfathin wrote:A jump avoids the damage? That's really nice, I'll try to do that. If it does work, it'll really feel like Assad, I'll just jump through the whole cast bar so my lag won't screw me up

Yes - it's similiar to the mechanic The Crystalspawn Giants have in Stonecore.

Honored

Postby felhoof » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:59 pm

My understanding is that the jumping trick no longer works, if it ever did.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:29 pm

felhoof wrote:My understanding is that the jumping trick no longer works, if it ever did.

It worked last night.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:49 pm

Can't hurt to check for tonight. If anyone is doing Rhyolith tonight could you try and verify this. I am with Felhoof though, I think if this still works I don't think it will for long. Way to easy to avoid a major mechanic of the fight.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:14 pm

Tinderhoof wrote:Can't hurt to check for tonight. If anyone is doing Rhyolith tonight could you try and verify this. I am with Felhoof though, I think if this still works I don't think it will for long. Way to easy to avoid a major mechanic of the fight.

I dunno how you figure this, since they already made 1 boss fight where you are supposed to jump, and a few mobs that do something similar. Plus if they do make it unavoidable this is just another fight where melee get screwed over if we get knocked back straight into the Magma Waves.

Postby Malfathin » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:08 am

Just killed him last night and jumping did not avoid the knockback nor the damage.

After the hotfix the fight became really easy in 10m. We were steering him easily with 2 DPS, but then he would take too long to enter the 2nd phase, after we switched to 3 DPS on the legs and 3 on the adds, we went and killed him on the first try.

Biggest concern you should have is to try and make him step on as many volcanos as you can, to avoid having him activate one that you just passed by, 'cause then it will take too long to turn him around and the debuff from the volcanoes will stack too high, making it really tough for the healers.

Oh, and just mentioning that I'm a really happy kitty. None of the bosses we killed dropped anything for me at all, but just as I lost all my hopes of getting some shiny new gear, we kill a trash pack and ding! there it is, a beautiful Ranseur of Hatred, right into my paws! =D

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:23 pm

No, Malfathin that is wrong. Every time he steps on a Dormant Volcano he gets a stacking 2% Extra Damage Buff that gets put on the adds when he spawns them. If you only step on Active Volcanos you will have a lot less chance to get blown up from the Walls of Flame that the Craters spawn. You hitting Dormant Volcanos, creating more Craters to spawn walls, and giving the boss extra damage is worse for the healers than anything else.

Lord only activates another volcano every ~30 secs or so, so there shouldn't be any problems with the debuff getting too high unless the steering crew aren't paying attention. If you need him to turn quickly there are about 3 ways. Have all the Ranged switch over for about 5 secs and unload; Use some of your CDs; Unloading into him during a Stomp will make him do almost a 180.

Postby Malfathin » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:59 pm

Thank you very much for telling me the damage debuff came from the dormant volcanos, I really thought he was getting those when he lost his armor and stepped on an active volcano. Still, I think only the active volcanos become craters, but I could be very wrong on that one, since I was too busy avoiding the magma that came from the craters to actually see when they I appeared. But I have the feeling there would be many more craters if every volcano spawned one, since we made him step on every single volcano that appeared.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:13 pm

Ok, you're right. Only Active Volcanos become Craters, but still doesn't change that those are the only ones you want to step on.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:36 am

Wow, there's a penalty for stepping on the dormant volcanoes? Fail dungeon journal didn't mention that I think...we've just been clobbering them for the most part I think, can't imagine the strain it was on the heals to get to P2 lol.

Anyways, my question is, is it best to stick to the normal rotation, or just spam mangle/shred/FB? I honestly dunno if my bleeds are helping turn any, as it always seems to spike more in my direction when I hit him with a direct attack as opposed to a bleed...anyone know for sure?

I've only gotten the jumping trick to work a couple of times personally, not much of a big factor since he has a fairly decent size hitbox.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:46 am

I was able to jump and avoid the Knockback and Damage multiple times last night.

Revered

Postby Sylvaneart » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:40 am

Konungr wrote:I was able to jump and avoid the Knockback and Damage multiple times last night.

So the debate continues? I will try tonight.
Be sure to subscribe to The Fluid Druid RSS feed and follow me on twitter! @Sylvaneart

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:44 am

Sylvaneart wrote:
Konungr wrote:I was able to jump and avoid the Knockback and Damage multiple times last night.

I'm not sure if there is a debate. During his smash I spam my spacebar twice as fast as I do in any normal fight and sometimes I will get lucky and instead of taking all that damage and getting knocked back a "Miss" or "Resist" will flash across my screen with the Stomp's Icon next to it.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:19 pm

Konungr wrote:
Sylvaneart wrote:

I'm not sure if there is a debate. During his smash I spam my spacebar twice as fast as I do in any normal fight and sometimes I will get lucky and instead of taking all that damage and getting knocked back a "Miss" or "Resist" will flash across my screen with the Stomp's Icon next to it.

Umm...sure you're just not dodging it in that case? Especially with Nelf + Elusiveness, or just dodging in general...

Honestly I think the only times I've gotten the jumping trick to work is leaping forward as he's about to stomp, if I just start spamming jump from a standing position it usually doesn't do anything.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:31 pm

"Concussive Stomp — Lord Rhyolith smashes the ground, inflicting 35000 Fire damage to all players and knocking away targets within 20 yards. Each stomp creates two to three volcanoes."

As it's magic damage Dodging isn't possible. The "resist" and "miss" that Konungr is seeing when he avoids it is likely a range glitch caused by the jumping. I am guessing this is very close to the same issue that was happening to warriors during PVP when people could avoid the stun from charge by jumping. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I would recomend that folks get in the habit of getting the required 20 yards (max melee range) away. You will avoid the damage and knock back and wont' get used to the glitch behavior when they fix it.

Postby Malfathin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:52 pm

Tinder, if you read your quote you'll see that all the raid takes the damage, no matter how far you are, the 20yd range applies only to the knockback effect.

You will sometimes resist the damage, because of your fire resistance that comes from MotW and a pally resistance aura if you have one on your raid, or maybe a shaman totem.

I've never seen it miss, that might be glitched, but the resist is not a glitch, it happens with many skills from many other mobs and bosses as well.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:29 pm

You are correct about the damage. My post was to address the behavoir Konungr was experiencing which was avoidence of the damage + knock back by jumping. When you resist a spell it does not remove 100% of the damage it only stops a portion of it. If Konungr is really seeing that a jump produces 0 damage and 0 knock back and says resist that is a bug/glitch not just that he is resisting.

Konungr can you share the logs of you avoiding the damage through jumping?

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:13 pm

Sadly my new guild does not log parses for the Main Progression group, only the Alt/Secondary runs logs and I haven't been able to get the WoL client to work since I got my new PC.

Revered

Postby Stenhaldi » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:04 am

It's possible to full resist the stomp regardless of whether or not you're jumping.

Next

Return to Boss Archives