Register

Ragnaros

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Exalted

Re: Ragnaros

Postby Konungr » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:03 am

Satrion wrote:
shinryu wrote:So the living meteor, if it's continually chasing us, how are we supposed to get in damage on the boss? Seems kinda retarded to have to shift out and MF one that's chasing ya, then shift back and try getting in dps, especially if you're still rocking 4p T11...

FF in cat form works fine. You just have to cast something at it, it doesn't have to do damage.

You are the most awesome person ever, as long as my mouseover FFF macro doesn't target Rag instead and I die because of it's 6 sec CD.

Postby Shali » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:23 am

Congratulations to our first fluiddruid Firelord kitty : Floofles ! :lol:

Any thoughts on the fight as a kitty ?

In P4, where you on the soaking dutty (the dreadflames) ?

I guess you couldn't aoe down the elementals after the molten seeds (P2) cause you might be two-shot by the elemental that targets you in the pack.

Anyway, big congrats to you and your guild for the killing.

Shali

Revered

Postby shinryu » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:53 am

Shali wrote:Congratulations to our first fluiddruid Firelord kitty : Floofles ! :lol:

I guess you couldn't aoe down the elementals after the molten seeds (P2) cause you might be two-shot by the elemental that targets you in the pack.

Shali

I thought he was still posing as a traitorous Boom Chicken?

But yeah, grats!

Honored

Postby ellorien » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:47 am

Hi, we just started working on Ragnaros and I was wondering:

1. I had difficulty finding the angle to shred from without getting out of healing range. At first, they were tanking him facing the raid, and i would find myself going past behind his arms (does he have arms? where his arms would be) to be able to shred. I then asked if it would be possible to try tanking him facing a bit to the right so that I could shred and still be in healing range. This worked better, but even remaining in the shred spot I found I'd keep randomly getting 'must be behind target' errors in between shreds.

2. There are 8 adds that spawn! How do you guys keep them from all reaching the hammer in 10 man? We're only running 5 dps--> kitty, aff lock, 2 mages, enh sham.

Postby Aurea » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:58 am

since i'm running 25man i can only answer your first question: tank position to the far right, melee to the far left -> problem solved.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:02 am

ellorien wrote:Hi, we just started working on Ragnaros and I was wondering:

1. I had difficulty finding the angle to shred from without getting out of healing range. At first, they were tanking him facing the raid, and i would find myself going past behind his arms (does he have arms? where his arms would be) to be able to shred. I then asked if it would be possible to try tanking him facing a bit to the right so that I could shred and still be in healing range. This worked better, but even remaining in the shred spot I found I'd keep randomly getting 'must be behind target' errors in between shreds.

2. There are 8 adds that spawn! How do you guys keep them from all reaching the hammer in 10 man? We're only running 5 dps--> kitty, aff lock, 2 mages, enh sham.

1) Raggy is just like Magmaw in that he is constantly turning to cast something, usually his Sulfuron Smash.

2) Melee grab the closest 2-4 adds to the Hammer, During the first transition the 2 tanks can and should be helping take care of a few. Ranged grabbed the further out ones.

Honored

Postby Floofles » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:21 am

shinryu wrote:
Shali wrote:Congratulations to our first fluiddruid Firelord kitty : Floofles ! :lol:

Shali

I thought he was still posing as a traitorous Boom Chicken?

But yeah, grats!

Hello, my thoughts on the fight are thus; it's horrible, I hate every minute of it.

Not particularly a cat thing, though phase 4 (as deluge or not deluge, it doesn't matter) is very frustrating as he's out of melee range or facing you for extended periods. It's just a horrible fight.

They gave up on using me as a laser chicken thing because I was rubbish at it and our tactic didn't really require cheesing the fight with mass AoE, but I was still able to contribute to the damage on the elementals by placing my seed far away. On some of our long attempts I ended up being just after the moonkins and frost dks on damage done to them.

Postby Shali » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:20 pm

I like extremely painful bosses but for this one, I think I'll pass...

Honored

Postby ellorien » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:11 am

Aurea wrote:since i'm running 25man i can only answer your first question: tank position to the far right, melee to the far left -> problem solved.

Konungr wrote:1) Raggy is just like Magmaw in that he is constantly turning to cast something, usually his Sulfuron Smash.

2) Melee grab the closest 2-4 adds to the Hammer, During the first transition the 2 tanks can and should be helping take care of a few. Ranged grabbed the further out ones.

Ah, I see, thanks!

I think we're getting hung up on individual stuns per mob. Do you kitties swipe the closest ones? Or dps them to 50% one by one?

Postby Aurea » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:37 am

i dont use swipe since we got 2 dds assigned per mob (25hc tactics) to bring them down to 50% asap. afterwards i try to dot as many of the remaining sons as possible.

Postby Fonia » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:49 am

I open with bearstun or smeld->pounce, get to 5 cp, and usually drop a monster FB. With 1 other person attacking that add, it's usually to 50% then I'll FC any around me still above 50% and put up a rip(usually below 50 by the time I have 5cp) or continue attacking mine if the hammer spawned nearby. I don't really see swipe being that useful in this phase, tho it is quite delicious for the adds after seeds.

Honored

Postby Grenache » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:04 am

Can anyone recommend a feral pov video of this fight? Have to admit I dont enjoy it much either - mostly because of the energy capped mangle spam and lack of positions on 25 man from p2 onwards.. I also seem to have some problems seeing or understanding the engullfing flame prewarning animation ( maybe because I am still running at low video settings thanks to scorpion phase majordomo) and understanding when that damage is dealt. I seem to see nothing, and then the ground is suddemly black in a band across the room and I am nearly dead.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:15 pm

So, I saw some guild's heroic rag kill and rag coming out of the ground with legs looked...well, lame to me; is it any better irl seeing it, or is it still kinda "lol Rag has legs" sort of a deal?

Postby Lax » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:40 am

shinryu wrote:So, I saw some guild's heroic rag kill and rag coming out of the ground with legs looked...well, lame to me; is it any better irl seeing it, or is it still kinda "lol Rag has legs" sort of a deal?

I'm pretty sure ragnaros could be an untextured cube and they wouldnt give a damn :) Its all about beating the encounter.

Honored

Postby Toro » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:56 pm

I had intended to put up a long list of what I'd been doing, however... I'll post the vid I made of our second Rag kill, 25man normal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzrjQ-4fQIA

In the vid, you'll see:

Use of bear stun to a son of flame
Ragnar-O's achieve
A scatter brained cat just before second transition trying to figure out how far I had to go to brez someone
~3 swipes to add to downing the seedlings
Shifting further behind the boss, which may not seem like much, but I've been chosen less likely for a meteor in p3 after starting to do that
Probably some more things that I can't think of offhand, as I'm not watching it, just remembering it.

Postby geckomage » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:46 pm

Yo TFD kitties!

My group has been on Rag for the past few weeks, but because of real life this was the first week I was able to be present. We raid 10m and for our past week, and for future weeks, have 3 melee, myself included, and only 2 ranged dps for Rag. During phase 3 when the meteors spawn and start chasing people, I killed myself by being unable to shoot the meteor back, I used both Feral Fearie Fire and Moonfire, which I put on my bars specifically for this purpose, but neither ability shot the meteors back. What do you guys use to get the meteors off you? Do this abilities work and I just shot the meteor without the debuff?

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:50 pm

geckomage wrote:Yo TFD kitties!

My group has been on Rag for the past few weeks, but because of real life this was the first week I was able to be present. We raid 10m and for our past week, and for future weeks, have 3 melee, myself included, and only 2 ranged dps for Rag. During phase 3 when the meteors spawn and start chasing people, I killed myself by being unable to shoot the meteor back, I used both Feral Fearie Fire and Moonfire, which I put on my bars specifically for this purpose, but neither ability shot the meteors back. What do you guys use to get the meteors off you? Do this abilities work and I just shot the meteor without the debuff?

You shot a meteor that had been hit within the last 5-6 seconds. I used to use Moonfire until someone mentioned that it didn't have to cause damage, then I just started using Faerie Fire. Also, be sure that you are targetting the meteor. They are extremely small and I find myself often misclicking on Ragnaros since he is so huge compared to the small meteor's box.

Postby geckomage » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:18 pm

Konungr wrote:
geckomage wrote:Yo TFD kitties!

You shot a meteor that had been hit within the last 5-6 seconds. I used to use Moonfire until someone mentioned that it didn't have to cause damage, then I just started using Faerie Fire. Also, be sure that you are targetting the meteor. They are extremely small and I find myself often misclicking on Ragnaros since he is so huge compared to the small meteor's box.

Alright, so FFF will work on them, that is good to know. Thanks! I'll just watch more carefully on the buff.

Revered

Postby Qbear » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:14 am

Toro wrote:I had intended to put up a long list of what I'd been doing, however... I'll post the vid I made of our second Rag kill, 25man normal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzrjQ-4fQIA

I don't know what it is about it, but something about ur UI actually makes me angry. Oh and floofles grats!

Honored

Postby Toro » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:49 am

Qbear wrote:
I don't know what it is about it, but something about ur UI actually makes me angry.

My first thought: floating buffs/debuffs. Bugs a lot of people.
It's 106 mile to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses... hit it!

Honored

Postby Grenache » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:20 am

Konungr wrote:as long as my mouseover FFF macro doesn't target Rag instead and I die because of it's 6 sec CD.

Aargh. Got to P3 for the first time with most people alive a few days ago. I kited my meatball till the last minute, then hit mouseover FF, only to die. I rechecked combat log afterwards only to find I had forgotten to setup the mouseover bit before the run. I think I'll just target it next time :)

Honored

Postby Toro » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:48 am

Hm... mouseover FFF... I've had a mouseover focus macro (ctrl+spacebar) that I've been using for PvP since S4 with a main FFF (1) and focus FFF (shift+1)... willing to try it, but I'm weary about the mouseover hitting Rag. It's nice to read the name and give myself some lead time.

What I've been trying to do lately is set-up a mushroom near melee... if two meteors come at melee at once, and I've seen it a few times, it's nice to get both with one hit, just have to call it out in Mumz... scared the bajesus out of an enh sham... ^_^

The shroom is more a safety, in case I miss, on account of not having moonfire on my bars, but having shrooms (V) and detonate shrooms (shift+V) on my bars.
It's 106 mile to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses... hit it!

Revered

Postby shinryu » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:18 am

Finally killed Rag tonight, making us the 4th overall guild on our crappy server (and 2nd Alliance) to get him down. Managed to lose the Helm token roll, though the necklace was there as a compensatory prize (sadly no trinket).

Now to start heroic modes...Shannox first right? The other top 3 guilds are tied on only having a H Shannox kill, so yeah...ugh.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:01 pm

shinryu wrote:Finally killed Rag tonight, making us the 4th overall guild on our crappy server (and 2nd Alliance) to get him down. Managed to lose the Helm token roll, though the necklace was there as a compensatory prize (sadly no trinket).

Now to start heroic modes...Shannox first right? The other top 3 guilds are tied on only having a H Shannox kill, so yeah...ugh.

H Shannox is easier than most of the other 6 fights on normal IMHO.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:15 pm

shinryu wrote:Finally killed Rag tonight, making us the 4th overall guild on our crappy server (and 2nd Alliance) to get him down. Managed to lose the Helm token roll, though the necklace was there as a compensatory prize (sadly no trinket).

Dont' worry about getting the helm for 4p. You will want to use the Heroic helm of Rhyolith (likely your second or 3rd heroic kill) as your off set piece. It's not the best but you don't get better till you can get your hands on a Heroic Tier Helm.

PreviousNext

Return to Boss Archives