Register

Getting ready to buy a Naga, but what to do...

All the non-WOW stuff goes here.
Revered

Getting ready to buy a Naga, but what to do...

Postby shinryu » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:00 pm

So perhaps someone can help me out here with their experiences and setup...basically I'm sorta stuck as to how to configure everything once I get my Naga; do most people bind their attacks and stuff to the naga mouse while using keyboard/pad and stuff to move, or do you do the opposite and bind your attacks to your keyboard and use the mouse for moving/misc. functions?

Sorta wondering what to do and which direction to go in, as I've never had a gaming mouse to pair with my gamepad before (so originally I had all my attacks on say the N52 with my left hand and used the mouse for basic clicking and moving at times), but as I've been using a game controller for the last year, I'm equally adept with using my right hand for button pushing (as all the attacks are bound on the right side with most of the buttons) and using the left hand for simple movement.

So yeah...is the naga durable enough to use as the main device for pushing your attack buttons and stuff, or is that better left for the keyboard and stuff? I know it's kind of an awkward/weird question, but I'm just sorta wondering how I should set stuff up tomorrow.

Exalted

Re: Getting ready to buy a Naga, but what to do...

Postby Konungr » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:27 am

shinryu wrote:So perhaps someone can help me out here with their experiences and setup...basically I'm sorta stuck as to how to configure everything once I get my Naga; do most people bind their attacks and stuff to the naga mouse while using keyboard/pad and stuff to move, or do you do the opposite and bind your attacks to your keyboard and use the mouse for moving/misc. functions?

Sorta wondering what to do and which direction to go in, as I've never had a gaming mouse to pair with my gamepad before (so originally I had all my attacks on say the N52 with my left hand and used the mouse for basic clicking and moving at times), but as I've been using a game controller for the last year, I'm equally adept with using my right hand for button pushing (as all the attacks are bound on the right side with most of the buttons) and using the left hand for simple movement.

So yeah...is the naga durable enough to use as the main device for pushing your attack buttons and stuff, or is that better left for the keyboard and stuff? I know it's kind of an awkward/weird question, but I'm just sorta wondering how I should set stuff up tomorrow.

Here is my Naga set-up, it may not work for everyone, and I haven't updated it in a while, but most of the functionality is the same. I may get around to updating it here this next week, but I change my macros frequently as I find more need for extra control over all of my abilities in combat.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=323

Revered

Postby shinryu » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:36 am

Mmm, so if I'm decoding that right, you use the keyboard for attacks and the naga is filled with supporting macros?

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:46 am

shinryu wrote:Mmm, so if I'm decoding that right, you use the keyboard for attacks and the naga is filled with supporting macros?

I use the 1-4 on the keyboard for my main attacks: Rake, Rip, Shred, and Mangle. The Naga is everything else, from Mounts, Druid Forms, Raid Utility, Attacks, CDs, etc.

For Movement I use a combination of the QWEASD and Mouse Double-Click Steering.

Honored

Postby Rarge » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:32 pm

I have WASD to move, 1-12, CTRL 1-12, QEFT, shift QEFT all bound for spells using my naga to hit 1-12. :)

Postby Dirg » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:38 pm

First time posting, hi.
I've been using my Naga for... well, since ICC days at least... and I can never use a mouse with fewer buttons for MMO gaming again.
I bound F1-F12 to the number pad on the side and use bartender to create 3 3x5 button boxes. Box set 1 is a simple button click, box set 2 is shift and box 3 is control... I had a forth one for all the other random crap, but... quickly tossed it after I realized I bound my valentines day heart breaker item to... alt f4...

Anyway, the first set of boxes is for CP generators, other highly used skills and TF. The second box is finishers defensive CDs, trinkets and berserk. The third is utility tools, cyclone, heals, root, FFF, etc.

I even bound skull, x, bear form and cat form to the mouse's 2 top left buttons.
My keyboard is used only for WSAD, vent PTT and tab targeting when I feel too lazy to click.

I use the same basic 3 box set up for all of my toons and it works quite seamlessly swapping from toon to toon - especially feral to assassination rogue, having a pretty similar play pattern.

Enjoy your mouse!

Revered

Postby shinryu » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:48 pm

Dirg wrote:First time posting, hi.
I've been using my Naga for... well, since ICC days at least... and I can never use a mouse with fewer buttons for MMO gaming again.
I bound F1-F12 to the number pad on the side and use bartender to create 3 3x5 button boxes. Box set 1 is a simple button click, box set 2 is shift and box 3 is control... I had a forth one for all the other random crap, but... quickly tossed it after I realized I bound my valentines day heart breaker item to... alt f4...

Anyway, the first set of boxes is for CP generators, other highly used skills and TF. The second box is finishers defensive CDs, trinkets and berserk. The third is utility tools, cyclone, heals, root, FFF, etc.

I even bound skull, x, bear form and cat form to the mouse's 2 top left buttons.
My keyboard is used only for WSAD, vent PTT and tab targeting when I feel too lazy to click.

I use the same basic 3 box set up for all of my toons and it works quite seamlessly swapping from toon to toon - especially feral to assassination rogue, having a pretty similar play pattern.

Enjoy your mouse!

Hmm...interesting. How is your naga holding up though, kinda wondering since that's a lot of button pushing and quite a few things out there say how it's kinda frail. I'm guessing you're using your keyboard for your modifiers as well?

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:20 pm

shinryu wrote:Hmm...interesting. How is your naga holding up though, kinda wondering since that's a lot of button pushing and quite a few things out there say how it's kinda frail. I'm guessing you're using your keyboard for your modifiers as well?

I dunno about his, but I have had 2 Nagas, Got the Naga Epic pre-ordered when it came out, and had been using the original naga since Febuary of last year, other than using WASD for movement (along with double-click mouse movement) and the 1-4 keys, I use the Naga's keys for everything else, so most of my abilities are bound to the Naga, and I haven't had any button failures in ~18 months out of my Original Naga (still use for my laptop) or my Naga Epic.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:38 am

Mkay, guess the ones complaining are probably too rough with it or something then.

Postby Dirg » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:51 am

shinryu wrote:Hmm...interesting. How is your naga holding up though, kinda wondering since that's a lot of button pushing and quite a few things out there say how it's kinda frail. I'm guessing you're using your keyboard for your modifiers as well?

aside from some texture wearing off, like all mice, till just this past week actually, it's worked like new. I configure the pad to every game I play, not just MMOs, but FPSs, dungeon crawlers, RTSs and cheap indie steam stuff. About 30-40 hours/week.

My mouse just started doing the annoying stopping thing this past week, where sometimes at random, it'll lock up and I can't move it past an imaginary wall. Annoying as hell when it happens, but we're talking so far maybe once every 2-3 days.

The sticky thumb tabs you get for training really don't hold up too long. slipped my first one off within an hour of playing WoW, and they leave a bit of a mess behind as they slide off. Do yourself a favor and try to rely more on resting your thumb down the 1,4,7,10 line, so you have an idea of where you're at.

Postby Samskeyti » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:30 pm

I got the original naga a week ago, after my diamondback was stopping to work. That one had two buttons on the side, one was autorun and the other whichever spell I put there, usually skullbash.

So with the new mouse and all these buttons... I found it very hard to decide what to put on them. And I couldn't find another place for my autorun button I use so much so... I put it on 7. I'm not using all the buttons as I'm still getting used to the few I have, but Tiger's Fury, Skullbash, Ferocious Bite and Maim and the speed roar thingie are now firmly set on the mouse buttons.

Wow, I don't think I could ever put every single spell on the buttons, along with modifiers!! But I do admire it :-) I ended up putting two trainer thingies on two buttons, for my ferocious bite and autorun, and it helps a lot! They've been sticking fine for a few days now, but I treat them nicely.

Honored

Postby Floofles » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:26 am

Serious question, what is the perceived benefit of this mouse, from what I see you just gain a 12 numbered numpad on the mouse which is accessible by the thumb. Is this. It very awkward and potentially damaging for your thumb? Is it not slower than using your keyboard?

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:13 am

Floofles wrote:Serious question, what is the perceived benefit of this mouse, from what I see you just gain a 12 numbered numpad on the mouse which is accessible by the thumb. Is this. It very awkward and potentially damaging for your thumb? Is it not slower than using your keyboard?

I've been using the Naga for almost 2 years now and haven't had any trouble/damages from my thumb, and the team at Razer has done a very good job at making it ergonomically comfortable. It takes about a day, if that, to get used to using the Naga's buttons and with the combination of Alt/Ctrl modifiers, opens up a lot more options for various things you have to do throughout the fight. I don't use the Naga in lue of my keyboard, I use it with. I still use the macro keys on the side of my Logitech G510 as well as my `-4, Tab, F, and movement keys for many things not on my Naga.

This shows how I have my set-up to work with the Naga/Keyboard: http://www.tukui.org/forums/topic.php?id=19080

Revered

Postby shinryu » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:25 am

Only the final row of keys (10-12) are a bit annoying to hit, but otherwise everything is fine. Not really sure how it'd cause thumb damage, more likely to get say carpal tunnel from general keyboard usage.

Revered

Postby Qbear » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:00 am

Nutshell

It's designed in a way for your thumb to sit on the side thumbpad. Not damaging at all unless you have small hands and try to make use of the back row. Follows the same lag rules of any keyboard keybinding.

Long version.

I use a naga myself (like shinryu I only use the first 3 rows of buttons as the last row does cause me to have to shift my hand to hit consistantly)

Honestly the way the naga is shaped with an averaged sized hand your thumb naturally rest in the middle of the top 3 rows of buttons or where the number 5 is.

The buttons themselves can be mapped to the normal action bar 1 through = or the number pad 1 through * sign respectively. I use the ladder.

It fallows the same lag tolerance as any keybound key, and it becomes very natural to hit the buttons within the normal gcd range. I saw on your comment about holding down rmb throughout the fight to turn which I do as well and the naga keys remain completely easy to activate without missing any windows for maximizing damage.

I don't have any abilties that I'd hit over and over bound to the mouse (shred, mangle, rake) but my finishers, defensives, move speed cds, offensive cds, pots, health stone are all there.

I played from as BC released to the start of Cata with normal alt mods and keyboard keybinds but now I really can't believe how much easier this easy game has gotten with the thumbpad system of the mouse.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:09 am

That's why I only bind seldom-use abilities to the back row: Revive/Rebirth/Mass Rez - Innervate/Health Stone/Tranquility - Survival Instincts/Barkskin

Honored

Postby Rarge » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:39 pm

I like the naga because it allows me to use abilities that are on 6+ without taking my hand left off of the keyboard (or stretching); so I can dps or heal whilst moving easily. Which I find especially helpful when healing. I have almost everything bound to my mouse. However it does give you 12 extra buttons (without modifiers) as you set it to numpad mode instead of the numbers along the top; so if you're finding yourself short on buttons then it can benefit there.

On the topic of ergonomic, I have longer nails on my right hand because I play the classical guitar. I sometimes find my thumb nail a bit saw and bent after a night of raiding from using it to push buttons instead of my actual thumb. That's more of a unique issue though and more of a problem with me than the mouse.

On the topic of the back row I use just below my thumb joint to hit the back row instead of my actual thumb-pad sorta bit.

I find some games I can play without a keyboard too because I have a naga. For instance League of Legends; I have everything bound to 1-7 and can eat with my left hand whilst playing with my right :P

Postby JaCKSteVe » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:06 am

Slipped my first one off within an hour of playing wow, and they leave a bit of a mess behind as they slide off. Do yourself a favor and try to rely more on resting your thumb down the 1,4,7,10 line, so you have an idea of where you're at.

Postby Brule » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:18 pm

Does Naga work with Clique?

Revered

Postby Qbear » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:00 pm

Brule wrote:Does Naga work with Clique?

yes since the naga is actually just your keyboards 1 through = or your number pad it just places those to the clique keys.

Honored

Postby Instaqueues » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:05 pm

I know I'm necro'ing this thread, but Imma do it anyway!! rawr!!

Just some general insight about mice, and what's best for you...

There's 2 main mice grips, and a third that kinda fits into 1 of those, but is a little different.

There's a palm grip, and that'd be where your entire palm rests on the mouse, and your fingers lay flat across the mouse. If you use this grip, the naga would be a reasonable choice for you.

There's also a 'fingertip' grip, which you control the mouse only with the fingertips. I wouldn't suggest using the naga with this grip, as you 'pinch' the mouse with your thumb and ring finger (some people pinky) for the stability. I use this grip, although not to the extreme of only my fingertips. But I cannot use a naga, because when I pinch the side to move the mouse, I always hit a button. I've been using the razer Imperator, and it works fine for me with the 2 xtra side buttons (most razer mice have 2 xtra side buttons). And rebind the movement speed keys because I'm not a sniper in an FPS and don't need on the fly adjustment :P

Razer's site does a good job explaining all these grips. The 3rd is a 'claw' grip which pretty much fits into the fingertip grip.

Return to Off-Topic Discussion