Register

Pulverize useful for Hybrid spec now?

Observe my Growling Bear style. I block blows...with my FACE.

Pulverize useful for Hybrid spec now?

Postby elyaani » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:00 pm

While I understand that it adds some critical strike chance, and therefore adds to my SD proc chances (I assume, anyway), with the recent threat changes is this talent really necessary anymore?

I'm asking because I am changing to a hybrid spec for raids, and the talent point distribution doesn't really let me take Pulverize AND Brutal Impact AND Nuturing Instinct (I'm called upon to do Tranquillity a lot due to raid makeup). I'm not sure what points to drop exactly.

I won't often be tanking, and even when I am it's mostly gonna be for "OMG WE'RE GONNA DIE" purposes, or 5 mans. I don't think Pulverize is worthwhile in that case, but could someone prove me wrong? :)

Revered

Re: Pulverize useful for Hybrid spec now?

Postby Qbear » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:34 pm

I do 5 mans whenever I can get the bag of free stuff.

Honestly for 5 mans I have a /castsequence mangle, swipe, trash, swipe macro

It works really well for afking to bags of goodies.

Could you do this without pulverize? Sure.

If you ever move into heroic raiding scenarios would I suggest that you went back to get the talent point? Yes.

Postby elyaani » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:18 pm

Perfect! Thanks for the second opinion :)

We'll be moving into heroic raiding shortly, but at most I'd be "Oh shi--" tanking or off tanking, etc, so I figure it'll be fine then :)

Honored

Postby Laurind » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:19 am

I did a Troll run without Thick Hide just fine (yeah, forgot to respec after pvping a bit :P) don't even think about 5mans for a spec :P

Revered

Postby shinryu » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:08 pm

I honestly see no point in Pulverize, even for pure Bear spec; maybe it's just from my past experiences in Wotlk, but Bears never have any threat problems, I mean it also helps a bit in getting Savage Defense running more, but SD is still a rather (imo) crappy excuse for a "shield", so eh. Not to mention with the buttload of crit we have just naturally, seems even more useless.

Sort of curious what your spec is, my spec technically leans towards hybrid because I have 3/3 Thick Hide (though I'm honestly not sure why I originally took those, I think it's because I didn't want to die soloing elite mobs way back, but either way it's been a raid saver a couple of times). To give you an ideal, here's my spec:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#0ZdbGfRurzbfzMcz

Honestly IMO, for better tanking the only thing that's really lacking is Natural Reaction, sure Perseverance is nice and helps, but it's not 100% necessary as (I think) neither warriors or pallys have magic damage reducing talents anyways, and they're still the 2 best choices out there. Infected Wounds, eh that's debatable imo for Bears, though the attack speed reduction could help in ways.

For your spec, do you take Feral Aggression? That's a good place to free up some talent points if you do, as it's only really super relevant for a bit more cat dps (other classes can usually throw up the armor reduction effect, and in the worst case scenario that's just 3 GCDs in cat, for bear it's free threat to use it on CD if you're bored of other buttons). Brutal Impact is largely raid dependent imo; if you have someone else who can reliably interrupt instead of you, I'd take Nurturing Instinct over it since you mentioned you do Tranquility a lot (though how you do it if tanking in bear form, I'm not sure how). As I mentioned above, Infected Wounds is also kinda optional to have as well IMO.

So yeah...without seeing your spec, if you're just gonna be doing light off tanking or 5mans, I'd opt for (in descending order based on what you listed) Nurturing Instincts, Brutal Impact, and Pulverize last. At any rate, the big 3 to have are, in order, Thick Hide, Natural Reaction, and Perseverence; if you can get at least the first 2, you should be able to do most basic tanking just fine, you might not even need the 2nd if you have supremely good healers who don't mind a bit more healing. Just don't complain if they complain you're kinda squishy :P

Honored

Postby Floofles » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:18 pm

I don't spec pulverise in my bear spec, it barely makes any difference to either DTPS or TPS. Without pulverise I can press literally any button I want in any order and watch TV whilst playing, there's no downside!

Postby elyaani » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:02 am

hehe, thanks guys :) I've gone ahead and skipped out on Pulverize, and am running 2/2 in Brutal Impact and Nuturing Instinct. I skipped out on Pulv and Infected Wounds, and it seems to be working out okay :)

Postby BoldTM » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:59 am

Dont understand the OP:

If you are supposed to tank, then yes Pulverize should be used. If its a o shit the tank is dead, then you really should not specc for it since SI should cover for your 12 seconds before the tank is ressed and is taking over.

If you are supposed be tanking then the Pulverize should be taken. Dont listen to old grumpy bears that want to do something else rather then tank. With all this dps races, Baleroc, Alyz, Staghelm, Beth going on its very good if you are producing high dps.

Brutal Impact is a talent that is very optional in Firelands. The only fight where it could be useful is Alyz and for tanks it is only usefull of you are interrupting during the burn phase, which you should not be assigned to do.

Postby elyaani » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:09 pm

Well, I am sitting at approximately 42% crit self-buffed in my bear gear, so I don't really see it majorly impacting my dps when tanking. I was more concerned with how it'd affect my survivability since it contributes to SD procs.

I do a fair amount of off-tanking in addition to any "oh sh---" moments, so I wanted a spec that was viable for me to jump into that gave me the flexibility of being able to tank, but not necessarily messing up my cat dps or utility talents.

I've tanked firelands so far in this spec and haven't had any issues, and my dps tends to be higher than the other tanks when I'm in bear. And I still top my raid's dps meters on the majority of fights, so I'm happy :)

Return to Bear Tanking