Register

Ragnaros

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Honored

Re: Ragnaros

Postby Dabeasty » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:53 am

Quick question.

We were doing Raggy 10 (N) last night and had all phases sorted apart from meteors. We actually had 6 or 7 wipes where boss was at 2% (well 12% but you know what I mean).

My question is: What starts the timer ticking for meteors arriving? Is it the emergence of Raggy? It felt like we were spending a fair few valuable seconds dpsing Scions after he'd respawned and I wondered if we could maybe leave a Son of Flame alive (and slowed) whilst we downed the Scions and then respawn Raggy and start the meteor timer in order to have more nuke time on him pre meteors?

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:08 pm

Yes you can delay Rag coming back by keeping a Son alive a little longer to get one or both of the Scions down.

Postby Puna » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:11 pm

Ragnaros respawns after son phase once you kill all the son of flames OR after a set amount of time. You can choose to milk that phase a little bit longer, however, if he emerges and a son is still alive he blows it up and you wipe.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:37 pm

Are you sure that is on normal as well? I think that may be heroic only.

Postby Puna » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:05 pm

interesting question, im not sure tbh, only time we ever started milking an add was heroic. I figured it would be a mechanic for both.

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:27 pm

The sons blow up on normal if they are still around when Rag comes back up - I have experienced that.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:58 pm

Good to know. While learning Rag normal we did keep the furthest spawned Sun slowed and killed him last minute to extend time uptime on the Sions. I wonder if there is a DBM timer for that. You can use this strat, but as our esteemed other ferals bring up, use with caution.

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:01 pm

There is a DBM timer that shows when Rag will be back up. I noticed it after having a son blow up, as it was something I starting caring about... ;)

Postby pegàz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:44 am

I made a Feral POV of my first kill Ragnaros HM25, for people interested in => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj1Hb3H6T5M

i hope u'll like it :)

Postby Evil » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:19 am

pegàz wrote:I made a Feral POV of my first kill Ragnaros HM25, for people interested in => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj1Hb3H6T5M

Thanks for sharing - what kind of Combo and Dot timer you are using in the mittle of the screen? Curious - doesn't look like DroodFocus (thats what I'm using).

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:48 am

Evil wrote:
pegàz wrote:I made a Feral POV of my first kill Ragnaros HM25, for people interested in => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj1Hb3H6T5M

Thanks for sharing - what kind of Combo and Dot timer you are using in the mittle of the screen? Curious - doesn't look like DroodFocus (thats what I'm using).

Pretty sure that is DroodFocus. It may not look like your DroodFocus, but thats because DroodFocus is probably one of the most highly customizable Feral addons out there.

Postby pegàz » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:50 pm

nah i use power aura i just like the energy bar of druid focus so i keep it :)

Postby Sabris » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:43 pm

That was helpful, thank you.

Honored

Postby Sorcerer » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:29 am

Becouse I am perfectionist.

Don't bash the adds so early. They don't move after spawning for almost 3-4 sec.
It's especially remarkable for those learning the fight. Tell paladins/Prot warriors and yourself to use the stun as soon as the elemental moves. Not right before spawning.

Since we are on kitty DPS.
Who had what experience on reforging for HC Rag?

Pure haste is good when you learn the fight and AOE the seeds.
However as soon as you move towards p4, gemming for crit > haste ~ mastery or mastery above haste seems the way to go.

For next week I think I will try Crit just above haste for matrix, with mastery just below haste.

Postby pegàz » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:46 am

sooner i stunt sooner i can get my 2nd maim, in case an assist is needed on an other add, this is my way.

I try haste reforge and mastery reforge, i finally go mastery for the kill but i dont dps often in p4 so can't tell you.
What i can say, is that haste seems to be better when u're lucky with almost all smash on the other side for p1/p3 ^^
Since the nerf, Burst, is less necessary and matrix is not predictable enough for this fight, that's why i choose to go mastery to be more regular.
And in my opinion, u don't go haste for adds Aoe, u dont have so much time to dps them so try to get OOC and/or full energy+TF up is enough. Haste build won't make u win dps on them cause what u want is not losing u're dots on ragna so after 4 swipe, 5 if OOC, u go back to ragnaros refresh.

So yes crit build and mastery build looks better, but u can perform with haste build if the boss dont bother u too much :)

Postby redline » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:39 pm

While I have had to go moonkin for our h rag attempts [shameless plug]LF moonkins! http://schyjal.guildomatic.com[/shameless plug] I would expect haste v. mastery to depend on how much DPS your guild can do on P3.

There are several moments in the fight that favors DoTs over direct damage (attacking from the front in P2, AoE'ing seeds in P2, kiting blazing heat in P3) so from an overall DPS perspective mastery could be favored over haste. However, most guilds seem to stack CDs/pots/lust in P3 in order to push into P4 with as few meteors up as possible. As a haste build has better synergies with CDs/pots/lust, if your guild is close to getting only 1 meteor, a haste build that could push your raid DPS into a 1 meteor P4 would be worth it, regardless of what your overall DPS may be at the end.

Postby Nimodii » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:59 pm

Is there anyone who has some good strats on how to handle the seeds in p2 on heroic25? As they seem to really like instabashing my face as soon as they see me 3:

Honored

Postby Sorcerer » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:51 pm

Nimodii wrote:Is there anyone who has some good strats on how to handle the seeds in p2 on heroic25? As they seem to really like instabashing my face as soon as they see me 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P24cVIX99oE
This is not the best job done but it serves the purpose.
Keep in mind that's is from early tries, where we were still sorting out. Hunter slowing trap helps but is unnessecary.

Also if your guild is planning on using AOE strat.
DO NOT BUNCH AT THE SIDES OF THE PLATFORMS Like on my video (Blue marker)
This will kill several people each try becouse of the following.
Seeds are jumping out of the outer platform and have AIR TRAVEL TIME depending on raid gathering spot.
So if few seeds jump from far left side with raid gathered like on our video (blue marker) or similar position for right side - people won't have enough time to move on seed warning.
ONLY Viable positions is either like on paragon video (Exact middle gathering spot) or first circles from the center. Anything closer to the sides is RNG.
This way all seeds have pretty same AIR TRAVEL TIME and reach gathering spot at the same time. This gives more time to move before seeds land.

We have wasted a week becouse of this untill I realized it.

Postby Nimodii » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:36 am

Sorcerer wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P24cVIX99oE
This is not the best job done but it serves the purpose.
Keep in mind that's is from early tries, where we were still sorting out. Hunter slowing trap helps but is unnessecary.

Also if your guild is planning on using AOE strat.
DO NOT BUNCH AT THE SIDES OF THE PLATFORMS Like on my video (Blue marker)
This will kill several people each try becouse of the following.
Seeds are jumping out of the outer platform and have AIR TRAVEL TIME depending on raid gathering spot.
So if few seeds jump from far left side with raid gathered like on our video (blue marker) or similar position for right side - people won't have enough time to move on seed warning.
ONLY Viable positions is either like on paragon video (Exact middle gathering spot) or first circles from the center. Anything closer to the sides is RNG.
This way all seeds have pretty same AIR TRAVEL TIME and reach gathering spot at the same time. This gives more time to move before seeds land.

We have wasted a week becouse of this untill I realized it.

When I get even close to the seeds I get insta killed. Is there any way to work around that?

Postby Andolie » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:09 am

Hello all! Our guild has been working on h. Rag for about a week now. In p2 we are aoe'ing adds down and we are actually bop'ing a dps so that they don't get fixated at all. It works, that much I do know since we successfully did it many times last week, but how they're doing it I'm not 100% sure since vent was rather cluttered at the time. (It is similar to domo's seeds) In any case, I've been selected to be bop'ed this week. Do you folks have any suggestions here on how maximize damage? I know I need to pool some energy and save TF; I'm looking for anything else I can do.

Our current setup is to stack on the left side (on the edge of the front 90 degree angle) for seeds and taking off for the center, right in front of him, when seeds are about to land. We pause there until they explode and the adds spawn and then running to the right side while aoe'ing adds.

Honored

Postby Sorcerer » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:18 am

Nimodii wrote:When I get even close to the seeds I get insta killed. Is there any way to work around that?

If you don't have any deaths from seeds there is no way you can die without your own mistake.
This changes if 1 person dies from seeds since it follows another member or highest threat.

Andolie wrote:Our current setup is to stack on the left side (on the edge of the front 90 degree angle) for seeds and taking off for the center, right in front of him, when seeds are about to land. We pause there until they explode and the adds spawn and then running to the right side while aoe'ing adds.

Read at least few post back please.
2 posts above I gave clear explanation (with a video) why you shouldnt gather on that spots, becouse If I understood correct, you are gathering at left or right side before seeds.

Postby Andolie » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:47 pm

I read the post, but I am unable to watch the video. I know that the seeds have travel time, but that wasn't t what I was asking about. When I can get to a computer where I can watch the vid, I will. Thanks for posting it.

Postby Nimodii » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:50 pm

Sorcerer wrote:
If you don't have any deaths from seeds there is no way you can die without your own mistake.
This changes if 1 person dies from seeds since it follows another member or highest threat.

I've waited for for the range to gain aggro on them everytime, no one has died but as soon as I get in melee range of the seeds they hit me for some reason ;<

Honored

Postby Sorcerer » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:16 pm

Nimodii wrote:I've waited for for the range to gain aggro on them everytime, no one has died but as soon as I get in melee range of the seeds they hit me for some reason ;<

If you don't put your seed outside of the main group that's why you die. They don't follow agro table. Your seed - Your agro. Unless someone dies then they follow agro table. Watch carefully my video and nameplates.

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:31 pm

Nimodii wrote:
Sorcerer wrote:

I've waited for for the range to gain aggro on them everytime, no one has died but as soon as I get in melee range of the seeds they hit me for some reason ;<

Socerer is not dying because he is dropping his seed behind the rest of them. The seeds fixate on whoever they initially spawn on, and they gain a stacking buff when there are within 6 yards of each other that adds 25% to their damage and gives them immunity to snare and stun effects. If you separate a seed, you can stun it, and also be near the other seeds safely. Here is a good thread from MMO discussing this: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/988 ... 28H-Rag%29

Also, if you watch the Fatboss 10M heroic guide, they discuss the seed buffs some starting around 4:33 into the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry394tAy0J8 (note that they spread out at the end of their run to separate the seeds just in case not all are dead).

Here is a vid of an arcane mage doing something similar to what Sorcerer is doing, separating his add out from the rest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r4XCOIHWCY.

PreviousNext

Return to Boss Archives