Register

Ultraxion

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Revered

Ultraxion

Postby Qbear » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:46 pm

Please keep all discussion of the 10/25m LFR, Norm, and Heroic difficulties to the Ultraxion encounter limited to this thread only.

Thank you.

Exalted

Re: Ultraxion

Postby Konungr » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:06 pm

Glyph of Mangle. That's about the only tip you need for this fight, everything else is a joke if you can manage to use your "Heroic Will" ability before you get gibbed.

For those that use mods that don't have the button built in (I know Bartender has the bar somewhere but it doesn't become active until tomorrow, not sure about dominos), the following macro will help out:

/click ExtraActionButton1

This macro will also be used on the Madness of Deathwing encounter to use Ysera's ability.

Exalted

Postby Stenhaldi » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:37 pm

Go bear about 10 seconds into the fight and you'll get Last Defender of Azeroth (the cast is exactly 3 seconds after Thrall's yell starts). Only affects defensive abilities, but still useful especially on heroic.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:49 pm

Did they fix the bug with LDoA or does it still affect Berserk?

Exalted

Postby Stenhaldi » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:52 pm

Does not affect berserk.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:56 pm

It was earlier on in the PTR.

Revered

Postby Qbear » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:57 pm

Stenhaldi from Ropetown confirmed on the EJ Feral thread that this has been fixed and LDoA no longer effects berzerk.

http://elitistjerks.com/f73/t123596-fer ... ntimes/p9/

Edit, Oh Stenhaldi is also the guy in here saying it doesn't work, what up bro.

(teach me to read people's forum names)

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:37 pm

During our attempts last night I found if I got the LDoA debuff (yes it is a debuff) I was able to use SI/Barkskin to soak every other Hour of Twilight.

Rogues are able to use feint to survive if they have over 150k health for every Hour of Twilight. Teamed with 2 rogues and a shadow priest we were able to handle all of the soaking duties. This saves the raid from having to have 3 different groups to do soaking.

Postby Hackx » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:17 pm

I'll just add that to maximize DPS, wait until the cast/debuff is about to finish before hitting the button. As long as you are not having any lag issues, you'll only lose one GCD.

Honored

Postby Rarge » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:22 pm

Hackx wrote:I'll just add that to maximize DPS, wait until the cast/debuff is about to finish before hitting the button. As long as you are not having any lag issues, you'll only lose one GCD.

We're not a GCD capped class so we don't really lose a GCD, it's more postponed. As long as you don't cap your energy the only DPS you'll lose is from the few white hits.

Also, I hate this fight.

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:03 pm

If you are doing this fight on 25 man, the simplest solution we found for dealing with the Hour of Twilight was to have two tanks and a subtlety rogue eat all of them. We have a warrior and a feral tanking, and since the warrior has more consistent cooldowns we made sure he was the targeted tank for every Hour of Twilight so the healers know who to focus first when coming back into the Twilight Realm. On the alternate Hour of Twilights when the feral uses Frenzied Regen, his life drops lower than when he uses Survival Instincts, down to around 30k compared to over 80k. The warrior always ends up around 80k.

I was picking up the LDoA debuff every time (basically swapping to Bear form near the start of the fight when the guy starts yelling). Since I was not on soak duty, I simply macroed Barkskin to my Mangle button to make sure it was up as often as possible. On a 5:58 try, my uptime on Barkskin was 74.6% and I was generally pretty low on the damage taken front. On one try, I misclicked and hit the Heroic Will early, and simply used my Survival Instincts to survive.

Mangle spam sucks on this fight and I was generally towards the bottom on dps. My best try was 28k. If I had a stronger bench I would have sat myself if it would have gotten us a kill. I was able to improve my dps as we practiced the fight. For clicking, I generally hit the button at 1.8 seconds. On 25 man the last minute of the fight has terrible lag issues and I clicked at about 3 seconds just in case (given the 45 second timer, this only happens a couple of times). I will try zooming my camera in per Qbear's suggestion on his video of the fight.

I am not sure why some guilds are making the fight more complex by using soakers other than the tanks plus one rogue. While a combat rogue with more than 150k life can be a soaker, the subtlety rogue had 3 points in Enveloping Shadows which provides a 30% passive reduction in AOE damage. Together with the feint, he only takes 35% of the damage or 105k. It took him a few tries to get comfortable with the Subtlety rotation, but his dps came up quickly and was competitive with the combat spec'ed rogue.

Now for a little rant on 10 man vs. 25 man. We did not get this fight down on 25 man last night, despite having the raid mostly intact for tries that lasted 5:44, 5:49, 5:57 and 5:58. The last try (5:58) was a 1.6% wipe. We simply could not generate enough consistent raid dps. We have added a lot of players to our team recently, and not everyone is fully decked out in heroic gear, so our dps will be coming up substantially every week. After the 5:58 attempt, we stacked a 10 man team and killed Ultraxion in 4:56. The players in there were stunned at how much of a joke 10 man was compared to 25 man. For 10 man we simply had the warrior tank eat all of the Hour of Twilights.

I want to continue to raid 25 man, but at times it is a struggle when I know how much easier it is to progress in 10 man. Blizzard has really stacked the deck in favor of 10 man raiding for those who are not hard core.

Honored

Postby Laurind » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:15 pm

as how you say it, you had couple of "undergeared" people on your 25man
did you take them to your 10 man group?
if you did, then it could be easier to do 10man , else it's because you don't have enough geared people, not because its harder or easier depending on the size, and maybe you made a perfect, or nearly perfect raid composition

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:24 pm

We did optimize the raid team for 10 man. Nonetheless, it is easier on 10 man. The same was true in Firelands. It is not just the gearing of the players.

Honored

Postby Laurind » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:51 pm

I think it's harder to organize, but you almost always have CDs and stuff to make your life easier.
Last night we didn't have any DMG reduction CD in our 10man raid, I can asure you, it's not easy if you don't have a great comp, or you have 2 people underperforming (on 25 you can have a bunch more)

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:29 pm

Leafkiller wrote:Blizzard has really stacked the deck in favor of 10 man raiding for those who are not hard core.

There are the key words there. Any Progression 10 man faces the problems as much as any 25 man group. I know that my guild in particular faces problems of sub-par comp (we are usually missing at least 1-2 buffs, if not 3), and RNG can kill the gearing process. We had the same 2 items and token drop on Ragnaros for almost 2 months straight, and they were items that noone could use. There are several other pros and cons of 10s vs 25s, but this thread is not the place for it.
Last edited by Konungr on Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Honored

Postby Grenache » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:49 am

Hey guys. I tried this fight for the first time on 25 and we got it finally after 12 goes including several 2 or 3% wipes. How much dps do you think we lose from our normal shred rotation by swapping in the mangle glyph? I averaged 28.6k for all the attempts but in the final kill I was second lowest 28.4k and I dont want to sound like I am making excuses, but a few healers were saying we should have it down before the 5:30 mark which I think is a touch unfair. We did it in 5:36.

Honored

Postby Sorcerer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:31 am

Anyone done some sims regarding ultraxion DPS with ~397 + 4pT13?
I wonder If I have to sit out...

28.4k my best on main raid, where I saoked in bear form and sit entire pull in bear form to get buff. Including clicking the button way too early to be safe. Without mangle glyph.

Yes I don't have much time to do it myself, writing and getting all heroics tactics down meanwhile before weds.

Postby MojoJuice » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:52 am

First kill on this guy 10 man yesterday (yay!). Not an easy fight if the team comp isn’t optimal, though! Our biggest issue however, was our dps. And me as a kitty didn’t help that fact, when I couldn’t shred :P

Again, my guild chose to do it differently (this time with me as the RL), in order for us to make it work. Since we hit the enrage timer on the first couple of try’s, we ended up using just 2 healers – druid and pala – in order for us to get that extra dps. We let the healing druid get red crystal and pala get green and later blue when that spawned. The healing throughput for a holy pala with the blue crystal was absolutely ridiculous.

Good luck on progressing and have fun!

Postby Lorclonil » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:10 pm

I was having some pretty nasty frame rate issues with this fight. I'll try the zoom-in suggestion next week.

In regards to the buff handed out at the beginning to the tanks, watch for Thrall yelling just as the fight is started; This is a great queue for when to switch to bear form (the buff goes out ~3 seconds later.)

SI should be available for every other Hour of Twilight (and barkskin much more often.) I was able to take every other without issue.

I did notice that logs can be slightly skewed if the person doing the logging uses Heroic Will. Actions occurring while in the twilight realm do not show up on the logs while he/she is in the normal realm. Might want to see if one of the people always soaking the Hour of Twilight could log so you get an accurate idea of the damage and/or damage reduction CD's taken/used at the critical times. Applications and uptimes of our DoT's and CD's are also affected by this (the person doing the logs being in the normal realm when your TF wears out ends up showing that it hasn't worn off until the next time it actually does 30 seconds later.)

I do want to add that I feel this fight is much more exacting on 25 man than 10 man. We did down it on 25man and then I pulled my feral druid alt (albeit lesser geared) in for a 10 man alt run and we were almost able to down it. 25 man felt like it was a much more significant challenge and I'm a bit worried about this block for heroic when we start working on it.

Honored

Postby Laurind » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:17 pm

I've not seen any comment about this, but... could a druid just taunt the boss while the other tank clicks to leave the realm, and after those 10 secs with no agro gain, taunt again, loosing 15 secs of dps, but it would help with the DPS check
Kind of Baleroc 2tanks, or Chimaeron?

All this is hoping random don't fuck you and both get with fading light as "dps" or something

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:29 pm

According to our Priest, it's an impossible kill right now in 10 Heroic. With a 6 Min Enrage, 3 Healer Requirement, and a 236k Raid DPS Requirement, an extremely small number of guilds will get this.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:36 pm

Konungr wrote:According to our Priest, it's an impossible kill right now in 10 Heroic. With a 6 Min Enrage, 3 Healer Requirement, and a 236k Raid DPS Requirement, an extremely small number of guilds will get this.

So what you are saying is not impossible just rather hard.

Also since no one has actually even seen 10m HM Ultraxion live I would say that this is a bit premature. PTR numbers are PTR numbers.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:08 pm

I'm saying its impossible, since there seems to be no guild that managed it, even on PTR. With the currently last known numbers, it is set to be impossible. If you can find a confirmed kill on him in 10 Heroic, I would love to see it so I can bring it to the attention of my guild. Because right now they are plannin on sitting me so they can get the 3% Extra Damage and Focused Magic the Arcane Mage brings since I don't bring any unique buffs.

Honored

Postby mekell » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:14 pm

In the context of this fight, do we swap in glyph of mangle for glyph of bloodletting? or one of the other glyphs?

I think right now i am using Berserk, Bloodletting and Rip.

I think i read TF starts to out perform berserk when you start getting the t13 bonuses, but i dont have those yet

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:18 pm

Rip, Berserk, Mangle will be your choices.

Not quite sure on the TF <> Berserk thing though.

Next

Return to Boss Archives