Register

Two questions about Ferocious Bite

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Two questions about Ferocious Bite

Postby Feralbutfun » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:35 pm

I'm getting the chance to play cat alot more after playing bear since about the middle of Wrath content. I have two questions about F/Bite. I have the 4pc tier 13 bonus.

1) It is wise, whenever possible, to wait until I have 60 energy before using this in order to benefit from double damage? On the proviso, of course, that holding off until 60 energy wouldn't mean Rip falling off and so on.
2) Does this mean that during Berserk F/Bite does double damage at 30energy? This question is more to satisfy a personal curiosity. I've not got clue how I might search WoL in order to determine this, or even if its possible.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Exalted

Re: Two questions about Ferocious Bite

Postby Tinderhoof » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:03 pm

Hi Feral.

Just to clairify it only costs 50 energy to cast a fully powered FB (25 energy to cast and up to 25 energy used to buff).

1. The amount of energy consumed will give increased damage up to 100%. This doesn't mean that only if you have 25 extra energy after the cast will it do more damage. I don't know how Mew simulates using FB. Leaf or Yawning, does Mew try and pool up to 50 energy for FB use?

2. During Berserk only the cast cost is affected. That means it will only cost 12.5 energy to cast, but will still use up to 25 energy to buff. It works the same way with an OOC proc. The cast is free but up to 25 energy will still be used to buff the attack.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:09 pm

To add on to what was explained by Tinderhoof about Berserk and FB, I would like to also point out from a logistical side of view, it is best to try and FB when as close to 13 Energy as possible when in a Berserk.

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:08 pm

Currently Mew does not try to pool energy for FB. Long ago when I tested that it was a dps loss. I have not retested that in a long time though. I don't know if anyone else has tried testing that more recently.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:56 pm

May be worth looking into again with the changes from 4.2. With the damage increase and the energy cost decrease things may have changed.

Postby Feralbutfun » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:38 am

Thank you all for your answers, they're greatly appreciated.
Tinder - thanks for the clarification re. energy costs and berserk. So the tooltip for F/Bite is incorrect, then? It says 25 energy plus up to 35 additional energy.
Thanks, Konug - I'll try and keep 13 energy in mind when berserking.
Leaf/Tinder - I'll keep an eye on Mew to see what it says about pooling energy for non-berserking biting.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:17 pm

The tooltip is indeed incorrect.

Postby Antorm » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:39 pm

Konungr wrote:To add on to what was explained by Tinderhoof about Berserk and FB, I would like to also point out from a logistical side of view, it is best to try and FB when as close to 13 Energy as possible when in a Berserk.

Question... so as stated Berserk reduces cast cost by 50% (25 Energy) but will NOT reduce maximum FB buff damage cost (an additional 25 Energy)

You recommend FB in Berserk as close to 13 Energy (half of the 25 Energy requiring FB)

Why not 38 Energy while in Berserk? (13 Energy cost + 25 Energy to maximize FB)

Is this because it is better to get in as many FB while in Berserk as possible?

Thanks

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:55 pm

Antorm wrote:
Konungr wrote:To add on to what was explained by Tinderhoof about Berserk and FB, I would like to also point out from a logistical side of view, it is best to try and FB when as close to 13 Energy as possible when in a Berserk.

Question... so as stated Berserk reduces cast cost by 50% (25 Energy) but will NOT reduce maximum FB buff damage cost (an additional 25 Energy)

You recommend FB in Berserk as close to 13 Energy (half of the 25 Energy requiring FB)

Why not 38 Energy while in Berserk? (13 Energy cost + 25 Energy to maximize FB)

Is this because it is better to get in as many FB while in Berserk as possible?

Thanks

Would you rather have 100% damage for 13 Energy or 200% damage for 38 energy? As Energy is far more valuable than Combo Points to use, getting the most DPE (Damage per Energy) is our main concern. Outside of Berserk it does not matter and as such, if you are going to take the risk to Bite, might as well do it for it's maximum damage at 50 energy. Every other ability we have scales linear with DPE inside and outside of Berserk, but Ferocious Bite loses DPE value while in Berserk if you compare Minimum to Maximum Energy Uses.

Postby Antorm » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:30 pm

Got it I think...

What you are saying is the damage increase isn't worth spending the energy on - versus other things you can do with that energy in beserk.

Right?

100% @13 vs 200% @38

IF it was 200% @ 25 instead of 38 that would make more sense?

For some reason it's hard wrapping my mind around what will get you better DPS... especially when it only takes an extra second or two to generate that extra energy.

It would be better served generating DPS and CP's with a Shred / Mangle, Rake.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:46 am

Exactly. If you use FB at 13 Energy instead of waiting til 38, you can get a second FB for an additional 100% Damage (once you build up another 5 CPs) and another 1-2 CPs through a Shred/Rake/Mangle.

40 Energy in a Berserk can get you 1 200% Damage FB or 2 100% Damage FBs and 1 additional CPG attack.

Return to Kitty DPS