Register

Need help?

Observe my Growling Bear style. I block blows...with my FACE.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Site Admin

Need help?

Postby Alaron » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:46 am

If you feel your character is lacking, I'll be happy to give your toon a quick look, and give you some recommendations. Please start a new thread and include the following:

1. Armory link
2. Specific question/problem
3. If possible, a WOL/WMO log parse. Pretty much required to give substantial rotation/cooldown usage advice.

Exalted

Re: Need help?

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:55 am

*****************This post was Necro'd by a spam bot. Please disregard********************************

Postby Baruck » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi,

I have to help out as tank for our first Ultraxion HC attempt (10) because of the 4p bonus T13. I don't have any raid experience regarding tanking and wonder what spec I need. Do I need a full bear spec or something in between, for max dmg is very important in this fight. I only have my cat equip. Is this sufficient? Any piece of advice is appreciated. :-)
Please see my armory link in the signature. Thanks. (I've got 2 T13 lfr and 2 T13 normal in my backpack, but I want to wait for 4p normal as cat.)

Baruck

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Baruck wrote:Hi,

I have to help out as tank for our first Ultraxion HC attempt (10) because of the 4p bonus T13. I don't have any raid experience regarding tanking and wonder what spec I need. Do I need a full bear spec or something in between, for max dmg is very important in this fight. I only have my cat equip. Is this sufficient? Any piece of advice is appreciated. :-)
Please see my armory link in the signature. Thanks. (I've got 2 T13 lfr and 2 T13 normal in my backpack, but I want to wait for 4p normal as cat.)

Baruck

Hey Baruk.

I have been in your shoes the last two raid weeks as I have had to sub in for one of our main tanks. I do have a few questions. Which pieces do you have of T13? Which ones are LFR and whiche ones are normal? Do you have the TB trinket (Mirror of Broken Images)?

I have to run to catch my ride home. I will try to write up some suggestions for you for this encounter later tonight. I will say for the moment check out Tangedyn's Bear/Cat guide over at The Inc Bear http://theincbear.com/dragon-soul-bearcat-guide. This is a good starting point to getting your gear and spec ready to pull double duty as DPS and OT.

Postby Baruck » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:20 am

Hi Tinderhoof,

I've got hands and legs normal. Shoulders and head lfr. I don't have the TB trinket and can't afford it within the next 3-4 weeks. :-/

Postby davidmac267 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:47 pm

Hey I'm a bit confused on how i should be reforging and gemming/enchanting my guardian druid can you please help. I'm not usre how to post my armory I guess i just post the link? here it is http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/d ... hor/simple

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:14 pm

This is a really good guide that goes into the details of our secondary stats.
http://theincbear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=697

Postby óak » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:13 am

Hey there,

I'd love some help!

Last night we got Iron Juggernaut heroic down, usually I play feral, have done since the begging of MoP and never played guardian at all, but last night our tanks decided not to show up, so I had to tank as guardian. I'd never raided as guardian ever, not even on normal, in fact not even on LFR or Flex so it was going to be a learning experience.

I know the general theory, what to use when, keeping up savage defence etc, and fortunately with me tanking we actually managed to kill it.
Would you mind having a look at our logs and telling me where I can improve? I know my barkskin uptime was poor for example, I should have used it on cooldown.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/3hrr2iyfuuknp3h2/

Since I'm not currently logged out in guardian gear and I can't log in to switch it for the armoury I'll just tell you what my gear was like.

I was using Harroms and Rentakis as trinkets. I had guardian 2 set and I had the legendary cape/meta for tanking. Everything else was Feral gear, so feral reforges, gems, enchants, everything. Fortunately for feral I use RoRO so my haste and crit were reasonably high anyway. HP was a little under 1.1m when buffed (and stamina flask + food) I think crit was around 63% when buffed in bear form too.
I wasn't actually expertise capped (I know, my gear was really messy), If I'm completely honest I didn't think we'd be able to kill the boss with a first time raiding guardian.

I was using SoTF and HoTW (HoTW because we needed the tranq to survive, is DoC better otherwise??)

So yep, how did I do and where can I improve? I also felt like I should have been doing more damage than I actually was.

Thanks
-Óak

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:12 pm

Dont take SotF as guardian Incarnation is strictly better and can give you rage on demand. You had Lacerate fall off a few times which hurt your damage output quite a bit. While tanking you should just be using barkskin on cooldown (or on Iron juggernaut you can also use it to help tank the mines but bears dont usually have an issue with that). Wild charge is good for this fight because you can jump on a mine and charge to the boss instantly grounding yourself.

Enrage usage was low you should also use it to "prepot"

weakened armor and wekaened blows debuff should be near a 100% uptime. your single target rotation is this: Mangle if its up, Lacerate, Thrash, Faerie Fire to upkeep Weakened Armor and proc Mangle!.

In general Bears are like Cats if Lacerate isn't your number 1 source of damage (single target) and Thrash isn't your number one source of damage (cleave) you are probably doing something wrong. Also you aren't mangling enough mangle should be less than lacerate (good) but it shouldnt be less than your melee swings. you mangled 47 times the entire fight. Mangle has a 6 second cooldown on a 7min 36second encounter you had the opportunity to mangle 76 times! even worse you had 19 Mangle! procs meaning you could have had a possible 95 mangles. Yes you lost uptime because i think you out range the mortar shells in p2 and just stack aoe heal, and some of the time is spent dealing with crawler mines and not sitting on the boss but that is still a lot of wasted mangles.

You also had 64 tooth and claw procs but only used Maul 26 times. When T&C Procs you should use it to reduce incoming damage unless you need the rage to FR or SD. If you did find you had rage issues you need to mangle more/ cast enrage more / use incarnation.

Wrong gems / enchants / reforges and not expertise cap hurts you a ton though on damage.

Finally the worst thing you did was!!!!!!! you never not even once the entire fight casted Berserk. Its free Mangles = more rage = more healing or dodging or damage or tooth and claw rage. (Note tooth and claw procs help your other tank too so feel free to use them even if you aren't currently tanking).

I used to main tank as bear until the end of last tier so sorry if I sound preachy/insulting.

Also BIS trinket is apparently the heroic talisman of Bloodlust from Primordius so if you HAPPEN to still have one from last tier its godly now for bears.

Edit: as far as 90 talents go all have their place. DoC if you mastered bear already/REALLY NEED an inform way to cast rebirth is the way to go. HotW isn't terrible at all as the stamina and ability to tranq is really really strong in 10mans. I think HotW should be the default talent as if a healer dies you can hopefully carry with it in a pinch.

Revered

Postby Steakbomb » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:28 pm

First off I will say that most of us do not tank very much outside a couple bosses this tier and while we are willing to help, some questions may be better directed the folks over that http://www.theincbear.com as that is a bear specific site and this has become more or less a feral site. With that being said, a few of us used to be main spec Bear so we can help with most questions. Personally I was Guardian from end of BC until start of T15 in MoP. Since then I have only tanked when doing Flex/Alt runs, on Shamans/Nazgrim(heroic), and when a tank can not make a raid.

I wouldn't say Incarnation is strictly better that SotF. It really depends on the fight. SotF is more sustained rage generation where as Incarnation is more or less a defensive CD as you get near unlimited rage for the time it is up.

Barkskin should not be used on CD but when it is needed. For example: If you are tanking Dark Shamans and you have Barkskin available but only 1 stack of Frostbite on you then it's a waste to use it at that time. You are better off saving it for 3-5 stacks. Another example is Immersus. If you are tanking the boss and you have to survive 2 of the Corrosive debuffs, wait until the 1st is about to come out, use BS, right before the 2nd comes out it should be back up along with SI.

Using BS on CD reduces overall damage but having it ready for a damage spike is more useful.

Tooth & Claw procs are to be used when it can be managed but it should be up there on your priority list. If you are NOT tanking then yes, use all of them. If you are tanking then you need to pick when to use them. If you have Savage Defense up, won't have a large hit incoming, and are going to rage cap then use it. If you have ~70 rage then it's pretty safe to use it but you don't want to use it and then have a large hit come in and sit at 20% HP.

Your priority list should be something list this:
1. Mangle(if not on CD)
2. Lacerate(if not at 3 stacks
3. Trash(if not already on)
4. Swipe(if nothing else is available to use)
5. Maul(if you have T&C AND you have spare rage)
5. Faerie Fire(either to continue debuff or everything on CD)

As far as buffs/debuffs go:
1. Savage Defense(should be up as much as possible)
2. Lacerate(3 stacks)
3. Weakened Armor
3. Trash Bleed

The tick on Lacerate does a lot more damage than the initial hit of it so as long as you are at 3 stacks, you are all set.

HotW vs DoC is more or less like Feral. It's a matter of preference. HotW is good if you need the healing in a pinch or if you have a good amount of time when you are not tanking. If you use HotW and you aren't going to tank for a good 20 seconds, go kitty and put up your bleeds(even better if you have Berserk available), or go humanoid form and Wrath spam to your hearts desire.

If you choose DoC then you should use a Cancel Auto-shift Macro to make sure you accidentally don't pop out of form to cast it(helps for spamming). Also helps to include in that macro the target to be Target of Target so that if you are tanking, it will heal you and if you aren't tanking, then it heals the other tank. DoC is only a really useful heal if you have vengence though as it scales off AP. If you don't have vengence then it won't heal for much.

Personally I choose to use HotW for the extra Stam/Agi and having the DPS/Healing CD is always great.

I saw this post too late to see your gear but a lot has changed for bears this expansion. Here is a basic rundown of your priorities for gear/gemming/enchanting.

1. Hit to 7.5% and Expertise to 15%(5100 which is double melee exp cap)
2. Crit to 79%
3. Haste
4. Mastery

Unless you are in Heroic Guardian gear then you will be purely gemming 320 Crit gems in EVERY slot no matter what the socket bonus is. Once you are in enough gear that you are hitting the Crit cap then you can start gemming Haste.

Look for gear that has preferably Crit/Haste on it. Mastery is almost useless for us as there is too much magical damage going out.

Enchants should be DPS shoulder enchant, Crit to Cloak, 300 stam to Chest, Agility to Bracers, Expertise or Haste to gloves(depends on if you can hit Exp cap without it), DPS leg enchant, Blurred Speed to boots.

You can ignore most of the stam enchants as the Agility is worth more than the stam especially since Guardian got a stam boost recently.

You should be using Agility Flask and Agility Food all the time unless you eat from a feast and then you don't have much of a choice. Tank Meta and Tank cloak are preferred when tanking heroics. Normals it doesn't matter. Harrom's is not a bad trinket for the time being but if you tank more than you will want the on use damage reduction CD(Protector's I think) and the Heroic Talisman of Bloodlust from Primordius in ToT. If you aren't in a spot to go back and get ToB then make due with what you have for now.

Return to Bear Tanking