Register

USB foot pedals

Pimp your interface.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Honored

USB foot pedals

Postby Grenache » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:11 pm

I have had RSI-related problems with my mouse index finger for years, so I’m unable to use a conventional mouse for more than a month or two before the pain forces me to stop. So, I’ve always been jealous of people with Razor Naga’s having all those modifier buttons. I use a vertical “joystick-style” mouse that uses my thumb for left and right mouse clicks, and my middle finger for the trigger (middle mouse).

A guild mate recently suggested I try a USB foot pedal so I bought one yesterday (2 pedals on it). Apart from instructions being all in Japanese, I finally worked out how to set it up last night.

Left foot pedal is now mapped to ALT, Right to CTRL. For e.g I just bind individual Dominos bar locations as “ALT- 2” and hold the left pedal down and hit 2. Works a treat!

It’s going to take awhile to get the hang of it and get muscle memory working.

Still trying to work out how far I want to go with it. i.e Just use 1 of the pedals for a single thing like “take potion” or “Barkskin” maybe, and the other for a whole range of things (i.e CTRL modifier).

So much to think about. What do you guys use your modifier buttons for?

Revered

Re: USB foot pedals

Postby shinryu » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:05 am

Pretty nifty ideal, I used a Logitech controller recently and macro'ed everything to it, so I have a vague point of reference...hmm...

I'm assuming you're a clicker and not pounding on the keyboard, but anyways, you could easily macro all 3 of your main finishers to one key, so you have say SR by default, then left for Rip and right for FB. Then you could do another similarly for your defensive CDs of Barkskin and SI, one for Shred/Mangle, etc. So you could actually significantly compress how many different things you'd need to click on once you've memorized which foot does what modifier. Probably be nice to have a simple form shift one in there as well. But yeah, to me it's all about compressing with modifiers and finding like things to go with one another to make things easier.

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:07 am

I think I would use a foot pedal for mumble...

What is the brand/model of your foot pedal?

Honored

Postby Grenache » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:36 am

This is the model:
http://www.google.com.au/products/catal ... CGUQ8wIwAQ

Nope - I don't click on pretty much anything except for a barkskin here and there.

I had a go at it tonight, and it felt very odd, and will take awhile.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:28 pm

Well, you can always just practice with simple modifiers as well, don't have to jump into using 3.

Site Admin

Postby Alaron » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:59 pm

Another thought would be to use it as your OPie button (if you like radial menus)

Honored

Postby Grenache » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:20 pm

I have quickly found that feet don't respond quite as well as fingers to urgent requests, so after some trial and error I have decided to use my left pedal for something usable in all specs (Barkskin - with a second click activating SI). For the moment, my Right pedal is set to Stampeding Roar / Dash / Darkflight.

It seems to be a bit less than optimal use of some extra buttons, but hey - so far it works a treat.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:31 pm

Alaron wrote:Another thought would be to use it as your OPie button (if you like radial menus)

Not to go offtopic but...WoW has radial menus?

Honored

Postby Grenache » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:19 am

I didn't know how to respond to Alaron because I had no idea what they were!

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:21 am

Grenache wrote:I didn't know how to respond to Alaron because I had no idea what they were!

That makes two of us...
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Postby Evil » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:19 am

I use a single Foot pedal -> Teamspeak Push to Talk

Honored

Postby Toro » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:05 pm

OPie is an addon for WoW: http://go-hero.net/opie/ is their main site, if I'm not mistaken...
It's 106 mile to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses... hit it!

Honored

Postby Floofles » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:19 am

I am confused. Is the RSI in both index fingers? If so then I see the use of non hand based peripherals. If it is just on your mouse hand I see no issue as you really don't need to have any buttons on your mouse.

You should be using the keyboard for all of your abilities and your mouse for turning, you can strafe with a/d and control forward and backwards motion with w/s, I play wow with RMB held down constantly for ease of turning and everything else is keyboard controlled, in my opinion if you involve the mouse in any way you are increasing the time you need to use abilities.

Honored

Postby Grenache » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:07 am

It is from left clicking the mouse with my right hand. I dont do it a lot in WoW..just for camera angle changing, vendoring, dragging items etc. Its more of an issue with general Windows clicking etc. I pretty much cant use that finger for anything anymore. Bit scary since I am only 44. I have bought Diablo 3 and am a little frightened about all the clicking I am up for. Might have to play with foot pedals :)

Honored

Postby Floofles » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:23 pm

Hey what if you bound LMB and RMB to the pedals and just use the maus as a pointing device?

Honored

Postby Grenache » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:50 pm

Good thinking!

Revered

Postby shinryu » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Grenache wrote:It is from left clicking the mouse with my right hand. I dont do it a lot in WoW..just for camera angle changing, vendoring, dragging items etc. Its more of an issue with general Windows clicking etc. I pretty much cant use that finger for anything anymore. Bit scary since I am only 44. I have bought Diablo 3 and am a little frightened about all the clicking I am up for. Might have to play with foot pedals :)

If your thumb is in ok condition, have you ever considered an mmo mouse? The original naga might be a bit too stressful on your hand, but they're making a 6 button Naga Hex with the 6 buttons arranged around as a circle on the side of the mouse for your thumb to hit, which is great for games like Diablo 3 or LoL that wouldn't need so many buttons (or shouldn't).

Return to Addons / UI