Register

First Time Poster with alot of questions.

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

First Time Poster with alot of questions.

Postby Alemenara » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:34 pm

Alright first time posting here, so excuse me if i have a bit to answer. I've been finding that lately my damage seems to be rather average in comparison to where ive been previous tiers and find myself wondering why.

I have 2 ferals currently geared for Dragonsoul - with almost opposite assortments of gear.

First question i have is to do with haste values. I know that haste is only effective when you're actually attacking your target (I.E. During black phase on Morchok its useless unless you have a healer or two sitting on you). I've browsed the forums and find it being brought up a fair bit Haste V Mastery and from what i can see alot are talking about personal preferences. I've also seen that a few ferals are talking about having 1k Crit, 1k Haste and stacking mastery past that point, is there a point to this? (the same is true for ferals preferring haste 1k crit, 1k mastery and so on). On this note is it appropriate to reforge for a haste heavy setup for bosses such as Zon'ozz, Ultraxion, Yor'sahj and similar fights where there is little downtime, and go for a mastery heavy setup for a fight such as Heroic Morchok where you have to drop ~8s of uptime every minute or so.

The next question i have is more about trinkets. On my alternate Feral i have my two BiS trinkets (Wrath of unchaining and a Vial of shadows) whilst my main hasnt been so lucky only managing to get the Kiroptyric Sigil, Starcatcher Compass and the normal version of Matrix Restabilizer. My results are fairly varied and to be frank i no longer have the time to spare to sim it out myself. My question here is On-use trinkets Vs a trinket with fixed stats on them, When is it appropriate to be using on-use trinkets and when is it appropriate to have two fixed stat trinkets on?

As for glyphs i already know that Mangle is most definitely the way to go for ultraxion. However for general fights like most of the fights in DS (Morchok, Zon'ozz, Yor'sahj, Warmaster and Possibly madness aswell) is it viable to be using TF over Bloodletting (there's been some talk of this but i havent really seen a definite yes or no).

My last question is about pooling energy. I've had very touch and go results with this and to be fair i think its high time i bring it up. I'm still relatively new to Feral DPS in comparison to most of the vets on this forum, i've only been playing semi-serious since T11, with very limited experience in 3.3 as Feral. Is it a DPS loss to constantly drain my energy pool or should i be pooling to 60-70 Energy before using Fillers asuming everything is up?

Ive included a few logs and an armoury link for each of my characters below for anyone who chooses to sift through them in an attempt to help.

The Main (Alemenara) - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/t ... 4ra/simple
The Alt (Serynn) - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/t ... ynn/simple

Random LFR (Both Toons) - http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-zieu0df1wi2931vw/
Partial Guild Alt Run (Serynn) - http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-35vfx95rxnrn46zp/
Guild Main run (Alemenara) - http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-fiti8k14k78eoinu/
Morchok Kill (Alemenara) - http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-xoanv2sbgskyovzw/

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on my questions.

Cheers,
Alemenara

EDIT: I also forgot to ask a little about the Vial of Shadows, how often does it proc and does it heavily affect Swipe damage in a situation such as a Black Phase on Heroic Yor'sahj in comparison to something like a matrix restabilizer or an on-use trinket. Another Feral in my former raid group had a vial and was able to double my Swipe damage aswell as sit even with me on single target output with almost indentical gear. Having almost no energy or GCDs to spare myself i found myself wondering how much extra damage the trinket would provide over the duration of a 25 Heroic Yor'sahj kill.

Exalted

Re: First Time Poster with alot of questions.

Postby Konungr » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:47 pm

I try to stay right around 1280 Haste, which is about the point that you gain 1 additional Energy per second, keep my Crit from 1-1.4k and stack Mastery.

Ultraxion is one Patchwerk fight that Haste is horrible for because you are using Mangle, which costs less energy, and from what I have heard from several ferals: includes a LOT of energy capping on the fight, especially during Berserk+Hero/Haste procs.

I still haven't switched to Mangle for Ultraxion, and managed to rank top 30 for 10 Heroic a few weeks ago. Switching to Mangle is probably a gain, but it also requires you to change the way you manage your uptimes on that fight, since I sit for other people that need gear (Only thing for us is Tier Chest, which I don't have Priority for right now in my raid EPGP and 4-6 people using Vanq token in raid) I haven't had a chance to see where I sit now.

TF and Bloodletting is a very volatile thing, and is different for everyone at different gear levels. Most of the time Bloodletting is superior, but there are times with specific gearing/reforging that TF seems to pull ahead.

Pooling energy is useful for when you are about to lose uptime, With an addon like DroodFocus you can track your times and whenever you have <4 seconds on any of your times, it is time to start pooling so you can make sure to reapply the ability within a given time. If you have multiple abilities all about to come down, you need to be able to quickly get them all back up. The more abilities that are all synced and need reapplying, the more you need to Pool Energy. If you have 8+ Seconds on all 4 abilities, there isn't much reason to pool. A good rule of thumb is that when you are pooling, use abilities like Shred when you are in the 65-85 Energy range.

Vial has nothing to do with Energy or Multi-target Damage, so if you have Vial simply keep Yor'sahj as your main target and Swipe so that all the procs go into Yor'sahj.

Exalted

Postby Stenhaldi » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:29 pm

I've never had issues energy capping on Ultraxion with ~2200 haste (and for what it's worth I had rank 1 on 25H Ultraxion for about a week with my usual haste > crit > mastery setup).

Postby Jqar » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:31 pm

Personally I've also gotten the most dps and all my ranks with a heavy haste setup. Ranked nr 5 or 6 on Baleroc 10HC before the end of t12 with around 385 ilvl, not trying to brag, just saying that ive got experience and im not reposting some general opinion from random ferals on mmo-champ with 1/8HC to show for. It seemed that given proper effort and thought, a heavy haste setup had more potential, but also required more strict execution and precise gcd-management. The arguments against a haste setup seems to revolve around the player being unable to sit on the boss and push his buttons hard enough >.< Offtopic, really hate this new 4set.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:52 pm

Haste was a clear winner with 4p T12 on the Baleroc fight. It was a set fight time with 0 target changes little movement and 100% uptime on the boss. As we do not have any fights like that currently this argument doesn't apply. Do you have any current fight parses that favor haste?

Exalted

Postby Stenhaldi » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:08 am

Blackhorn is the only fight this tier where I'd say mastery probably wins over haste - but there's very little reason not to just go moonkin that fight, even with much worse gear (so I've never actually played feral there).

Postby BoldTM » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:49 am

Regarding GoTF(Tigersfuryglyph), if you are engineering and/or have use trinkets with that align with 30 seconds CD then i think Bloodletting is better since you can synch you cds to TF all of the fight.

Postby Kasprodeth » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:55 pm

Im gonna have to agree with Stenhaldi here and say that haste does pretty well with most fights except Blackhorn, where boomkin by far pulls ahead. You could possibly say that mastery is better for morchok if your not going bear and staying in the black ooze. Maybe heroic hagara too but thats debatable. However I only have experience on the first 4 heroics so I may be missing something here. Ive also never had any problems energy capping on Ultraxion, or any fight really.

Postby Alemenara » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:39 pm

Thanks for the input guys - i messed around with my haste values a little and took onboard everything thats been said and heres the parses that got spit out in the aftermath :P

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-6hn6bpgs18d2ub8n/
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-msgwwz4jg0exrki2/
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-vsly0vni41yw1o51/

I also just happened to recieve the Wrath of unchaining last night aswell! - About time i got one :)

Return to Kitty DPS