Register

Shifting Perspectives: The 5 top mistakes new ferals make

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Shifting Perspectives: The 5 top mistakes new ferals make

Postby feralCat » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:20 pm

http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/01/29/shifting-perspectives-the-5-top-mistakes-new-ferals-make/

Did anyone else read this and have a look at their damage breakdown? I beat up on the practice dummy and was surprised to see that my rip ticks are consistently higher than my melee attacks. I figured that more haste and less mastery would set it right, but shifting a couple hundred points didn't make much difference. Am I making too much of this, or am I missing something important? Here's my armory in case it helps: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/baelgun/Skr%C3%A0tch/advanced

I also noticed that my FB is nowhere (<=2%). I'm using leafkiller's ovale script and I'm just not seeing FB come up much. Any ideas?

As long as I'm asking questions: What's the current thinking on FC/Stampede/Ravage? I haven't seen it discussed much lately (sorry if I just missed it). It's obviously great for opening and switching targets, but is it still considered a DPS gain to run out and charge in mid-encounter? Does the 4pc T13 bonus have any affect on the calculation?

Exalted

Re: Shifting Perspectives: The 5 top mistakes new ferals mak

Postby Tinderhoof » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:37 am

Damage breakdowns on dummies won't apply to real raiding situations for a few reasons.
1. You arn't raid buffed. This will make a big difference.
2. You won't ever hit the execute phase (60% with 2p and 25% with out).

With your Mastery being as high as it is you are likely going to see Rip/Rake go higher then your white attacks. However like you said changing things won't make a huge difference in the final damage output. Even if you arn't hitting the break downs Alaron outlined doesn't mean you are doing it wrong.

If you would like to see how you are doing post up some logs in the Gearing and Exection thread. That is the best place to see what you can do to improve.

EDIT: About running down to do an FC/Ravage, don't. While it was possible for a sim to say it would have been a slight (and I mean SLIGHT) dps boost, it almost was impossible to actually pull off under real situations. With boss movment and the different size hit boxes you would never be able to execute it like a simulation and would just have lower dps as a result.

Postby Paramount » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:07 am

Tinderhoof wrote:EDIT: About running down to do an FC/Ravage, don't. While it was possible for a sim to say it would have been a slight (and I mean SLIGHT) dps boost, it almost was impossible to actually pull off under real situations. With boss movment and the different size hit boxes you would never be able to execute it like a simulation and would just have lower dps as a result.

Instead of thinking about Stampede in terms of pass/fail or an implement/disregard talent, I prefer to think of Stampede as simply another tool in my arsenal. I do not find it beneficial attempting to execute this every cooldown, as I also do not see the logic in ignoring a powerful ability entirely. The way Stampede has manage to find a home in my bag of tricks is by ignoring the damage component and focusing on the generation of combo points. Occasionally I'll get a tad frisky and try to toss out a FB with only about 8 or 9 seconds left of rip while anticipating some crit shreds or perhaps an OoC proc to top me off before I need to refresh it. When lady luck frowns upon me, Stampede is there to bail me out.

Ignore the mix/max potential of attempting to perform at a simulation level of play. Focus instead on how this clever tool can facilitate and support your real objective as it relates to consistency and uptimes and you'll be singing it's praises in no time.
Never underestimate my ability to overestimate my ability.
Bazinga

Postby mineko » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:15 pm

About FC/Ravage: I seem to remember we have some kind of damage bonus to ravage if the target is at high hp, like 85% or something, but for the life of me, I cannot find this ingame, either as a tier set bonus, glyph, or talent. Am I completely crazy?

Edit: Found it, Predatory Strikes, first tier feral talent. I must be getting alzheimers or something. Getting back to the topic though, would this talent mean it would be slightly more worth it to try to run out/FC/Ravage on cooldown at least at the beginning phase of the fight? Or is it still such a small dps gain that you're better off just using it to zip around and get free combo points when you need to?
Last edited by mineko on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Paramount » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:31 pm

mineko wrote:About FC/Ravage: I seem to remember we have some kind of damage bonus to ravage if the target is at high hp, like 85% or something, but for the life of me, I cannot find this ingame, either as a tier set bonus, glyph, or talent. Am I completely crazy?

You're thinking of Predatory Strikes. It's a talent in the first tier of the Feral tree which gives 25/50% increased crit chance to ravage on targets with > 80% health.
Never underestimate my ability to overestimate my ability.
Bazinga

Postby feralCat » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:26 pm

Thanks for the reply and advice. <faceplam> for not thinking of blood in the water. I will post some logs on the other thread. I had a terrible raid a couple nights ago and I'd like to know: WTH?

Return to Kitty DPS