Register

Warmaster Blackhorn

Revered

Warmaster Blackhorn

Postby Qbear » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:47 pm

Please keep all discussion of the 10/25m LFR, Norm, and Heroic Difficulties to the Blackhorn encounter limited to this thread only.

Thank you.

Re: Warmaster Blackhorn

Postby MojoJuice » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:19 am

The Sappers can be revealed by a Hunter’s Flare ability, in order for dps to start immediately on it, instead of waiting the 2-3 seconds.

Also – it IS possible for a Sapper to drop down on the ship a few seconds into Phase 2 and it WILL blow your ship to pieces if not handled.. Do not think it’s a glitch/bug and just leave it alone :P

Revered

Postby shinryu » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:41 am

Ok, so (10man anyways), what's the proper kill order in P1? I and a couple others keep saying dragons, sappers, and the mobs landing on the ship, but the others insist on mobs/sappers/dragons...I mean I keep telling em the dragons get free and then start shooting more vortexes you have to stand in or avoid, but they don't seem to get it...

That and what should melee be on? I keep telling them I'm attacking the drakes as our ranged dps (the rest of the group is ranged) can't down them in time on both sides, but they insist on sticking me on the mobs that land on the ship despite the fact they don't do anything, so meh...who knows.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:11 pm

With out a doubt "Kill the sappers first and at all costs". The Drakes can be annoying I know, but a single sapper getting through does damage to the ship = 20% of max health, and will kill any raid member that is close to them.

Honored

Postby Terias » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:40 pm

If a sapper is up, kill the sapper.

On normal we blow up 1 of the adds on the ship, then we shift melee to the left drake, ranged to the right drake as they get pulled down. After each group finishes their add we switch to the add on the deck.

Postby exkape » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:49 pm

has anyone tested to see if FF works on the sapper when it just appears to stop it from disappearing again?

Postby Azsuregos » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:42 am

Unfortunately it doesn't work :(. But you can feral charge them after apearing again to slow them. You even can go bear and maim them if needed.

Honored

Postby Toro » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:35 am

Don't just feral charge when they land; unlike a rogue's smokebomb, being inside the Sapper's smoke bomb does not make the enemy visible. I wanna think that this is a bug and will be fixed, but even if it's a bug, I don't feel it will ever be fixed. ='/
It's 106 mile to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses... hit it!

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:36 pm

Azsuregos wrote:Unfortunately it doesn't work :(. But you can feral charge them after apearing again to slow them. You even can go bear and maim them if needed.

Bash will ALWAYS be the better option to maim here. A 5 second stun in 2 GCD's will always beat a shorter duration stun that requires a high amount of resources.

Postby Azsuregos » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:24 am

Tinderhoof wrote:Bash will ALWAYS be the better option to maim here. A 5 second stun in 2 GCD's will always beat a shorter duration stun that requires a high amount of resources.

Whoops, i meant bash here of course. Confused those two since i haven't got an english client. (anyway usually u don't switch to bear to maim like i wrote :P)

Postby TheJinchuuriki » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:12 pm

If you berserk off the line and roll rips on both dread guys you will feel a sweet gain in dps; I don't think it hurts to bleed-up the drakes either supposing you can work it into your rotation at opportune times.

This is especially easy to do w/ 2pT13!

Honored

Postby mekell » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:08 am

My guild is seriously struggling with this encounter (10Normal). We can 1-shot through Ultraxion and then just hit a brick wall here. We obviously arent a super hard-core guild, but I feel like we do pretty well.

we have 2 melee (rogue, feral dps), 2 tanks (Feral + Pally), 3 healers (Holy Priest, Resto SHam, Resto Dru) and 3 ranged (Ele sham, Arc Mage, Hunter).

This is only really our 2nd day spent on this encounter, but we are just trying to find the happy medium of boat damage and raid damage. We are getting into the 3rd wave and just either wiping because people are dead, or not enough damage soaked and boat blows up.

Here's what we are doing:

Everyone except tanks in the big zones.
Try to get atleast 2 people in smaller zones to help with boat damage
Melee on melee adds, Ranged on Drakes, both sides helping when their mobs are dead.

The problem we are having is either someone dieing because of a double charge or just damage in general or we get a horrible placement of twilight onslaught compared to a sapper running in (We dont have a DK to pull the sapper back). Occasionally we also have an issue with adds not dieing fast enough too, and i think this is because we are so focused on boat damage that dps is down a tad where it could be up (I think this will not be an issue once we get a solid strat down)

So my ultimate questions are:
1) how are you guys dealing with a sapper + a random horrible twighlight onslaught placement without a dk? Should we have everyone in the zone, and me and the rogue just out and stunlock the crap out of the sapper? SHould we just have me and the rogue on the sapper anyways, and let everyone else focus on adds?
2) how are you guys focusing the adds down? Do you split melee and ranged? I saw one comment above about using a focus fire tactic. Obviously less drakes = less small zones, but less melee adds = less charges (avoidable but quite fast with all the other crap going on).

Or do we just completely suck?

At a loss :(

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:18 am

The Slayer tank should be getting in the Onslaught, he doesn't have a cleave that will negatively affect the raid.

The Pally tank should have a ranged stun that he should be able to throw out, you have an Arcane Mage which should have a slow, and the Hunter can put down a flare where the Sapper is about to land which means he can't stealth.

You don't really need more than 1 person for the twilight barrages on normal.

Melee Priority: Sapper > Dreadblade > Slayer > Drakes (Double-Dot on the 2 melee adds is pretty easy in this fight)
Ranged Priority: Sapper > Drakes > Dreadblade > Slayer (If your tanks tank the 2 melee adds next to one of the harpoons, your Ele Sham can throw out some pretty beast cleaving.)

Honored

Postby adianar » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Somewhat similar to Konungr, we pull all parties to the large swirls. We do turn away the big melee add who has the cleave. Our biggest life saver to this fight was when we opted to put 1-2 melee on the dragons while the majority of the ranged were on the second drake. All come back to clean up the melee adds if they aren't down with the remaining melee dps on them. Our tanks/healers do fine with 2-3 melee adds up for a short time.

Lastly, the sapper. Our warrior tank or one of hte ranged dps stun the sapper once he's dropped and on the move. We don't flare, probably should, but we do lay a freeze trap 2/3 of the way towards the door to catch the sapper as a failsafe method. THe sappers can get hectic amidst all the other stuff, but they're not there that long before you push into the second phase, post sappers. Watch your dbm carefully though as we see a stray sapper after we've pushed P2 or some other nonsense that shouldn't be.. there's usually a sapper at the very end of the P1 based on our damage and timing. Also, make sure your ranged heals and ranged dps realize the closer they are to Blackthorn in P2, the easier it is to get away from his shockwave damage. It's conal, so you save time and distance by staying closer to him. Melee just runs through him to avoid the shockwave and shouldn't be a part of the problem for the heals..

Hope this helps. We were in a similar spot until these items worked into our rotation adn we now regularly one shot him...

Adi

Honored

Postby Toro » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:14 am

So... anyone else notice that you can't get through the door as a bear/cat, into the cabin, due to Kiril proc?

I tank that, I have to equip my staff before pull, so the ICD lines up with me being inside the cabin with both adds, and still need a cancelaura for that sh*t, so I can get out, if the proc is up...

Growth is by far the worst proc choice I have ever seen, and I keep coming across more and more reasons why it's horrible.

"Toro, what happened, why'd they charge?"
"I couldn't get in the door..."
"...seriously? That's gotta be the funniest wipe we've had in ages... way to go, fat @ss."

[Edit: just removed blunt profanity... thinking of you, Tinder ~_*]
It's 106 mile to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses... hit it!

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:54 am

Off-topic: I love you for that signature quote, Toro :D
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:56 pm

That is pretty funny. As I have been playing a Tauren the entire time I have played wow I have got used to not fitting places. UC elevator, Dalaran Underground, Tents at the Darkmoon Faire.

As for growing big I think it's pretty cool. A nice visual que to let me know the proc ramping up, and I do enjoy the wails of, "I can't see anything behind Tinders huge ass!" Also you should know by now you never let a bear inside any place unless you have Porridge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWXnbdlG_Ts

Honored

Postby Laurind » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:55 pm

cabin? why would you enter the cabin?
it stop them from charging? something?

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:38 pm

It's a way to cheese the encounter. If the adds are in the cabin they won't charge. Kinda like the door strat for Twins in TOGC. Not a fan of this strat myself, but to each his own.

Honored

Postby Laurind » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:24 pm

not even with rangeds or healers inside?

hmmm not fully understanding how that may work....
have both tanks inside with a healer and a DPS, all the others killing drakes/soaking?

when onslaught comes everyone except the tanks get to the deck to soak it?

Honored

Postby Toro » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:33 pm

You keep the slayer/dreadblade directly under the doorway, so the tank goes all the way in, melee are outside the door, able to soak onslaught/etc.

Honored

Postby Laurind » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:56 pm

oh, now I understand

Either way, it wouldn't work for me... 4/5 melee will be a pita....
unless....... every melee killing drakes, and when free, kill the melee adds... hmmmmmm

Honored

Postby Toro » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:03 pm

We don't put melee on drakes... in 25man, we've got like 7 melee, things are NOT a problem. It's up to 8 when I'm not tanking (1 tank gets both adds... 1st&3rd set = tank 1, 2nd set = tank 2). I dps set 2 as a cat.

Multi-dotters are your friends, for taking care of drakes.

Honored

Postby Laurind » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:13 pm

You'd have to put melees on drakes if you're a 10man with 4 melees :P

and "change to XXXXXX" is not an option...

Postby Paramount » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:30 am

Purely out of curiosity, why do you tank 1 & 3 instead of 2? I've been tanking a lot this tier since we lost one of our tanks and I decided that I'd rather do it myself than deal with the onslaught of derpitude that comes from trying to find a reliable tank. Is it because you can Berserk kitty form to open p2? I ask because everything in my raids is set up so that if possible for me to shift kitty that time is maximized. Now I'm wondering if we should be changing that for any reason.
Never underestimate my ability to overestimate my ability.
Bazinga

Next

Return to Boss Archives