Register

How long did it take you to become "good"?

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Re: How long did it take you to become "good"?

Postby Plunge » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:44 pm

Thanks for the UIs, gave me some inspiration :)

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:49 am

This is way late in terms of a reaction, but here's a UI question for Puna: Out of curiosity, where are your raid frames during raids? I assume you have them somewhere, in case you need to res someone.

Very nice UI, btw :)
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Postby Puna » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:00 am

I have grid for my raid frames and they are in the lower right hand corner. You can see the individual grid box just to the right of my target box. I had to disable the ones that come with ElvUi b/c I really don't anything on the left side the screen except my count down timers for raiding.

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:35 pm

So, since this is my thread and I don't want to start *another* one just to be soppy, I thought I'd post the following here.

Today, I got myself a ranking on Yor'sahj, my first ever dps ranking! Just about, but still, I'm over the moon. Look!
(in case you're wondering, the pala is usually our second tank with a heal offspec. He has zero retri gear)

Later on we had the following conversation. I thought it might make you guys smile :) Although you're of course not brutal at all! I just thought I'd show my raid what a hard, hard school I went through, lol.
I just noticed I also got the URL wrong, jeez! Then again, the non-druids don't care and the druids know it already, right? Right?? Ahem.

P.S. Please do NOT look me up on the armory - I got 3 (!!) upgrades today and all I had time for after the raid was to slap them on and gem them, no enchanting, no reforging, and I'll be stuck that way until tomorrow after work because there's maintenance in the morning :oops:
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Revered

Postby Qbear » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:20 am

fluiddruid.com, you think after everything everyones helped ya with the least ya could do....

Nah just kidding man but super awesome and bro it doesn't matter if you ranked first or 200th because you need to realize how many ferals you beat out to get whatever rank that was and it is impressive.

So grats to you and keep it up.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:53 am

It's not as bad of a FauxPaw as you may think. Alaron owns fluiddruid.com as well, and if you try and enter fluiddruid.com you still get this page as the first result in any search engine. Glad we could be of help Sibylle. I think its really awesome you got a guild that is patient and willing to let someone learn into a new roll. Best of luck on your continuing adventures.

Postby Plunge » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:08 pm

They grow up so fast :cry: haha

Really well done mate, congrats!

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:35 am

"Faux-Paw", hehe...

Thanks, guys :) My guild really is the best! I've only been with them for three months or so, but I know a good thing when I see it. They are mostly lapsed hardcore players who don't have much time to play anymore, and so they made this 2-nights-a-week raiding guild a couple years ago. I guess they can afford having someone with a little less dps, as long as they're nice and otherwise fit in.

From my side, I did what I could to help outside of contributing dps as well, I knew the fights, I was always there and on time, my gear was fully gemmed and enchanted even when it was still crap... I think good guilds appreciate that kind of thing as well. They had lapsed as a guild too, and so I started organising feasts for the raids (that's still my responsibility), paid by the guild vault, because everyone had brought their own food so far. I also took over the guild vault and re-organised it. There are many ways to be useful to a guild, and to not be a nuisance during a raid, and that's worth something I guess :)
-Sibylle

Honored

Postby Toro » Wed May 02, 2012 11:58 am

How long'd it take me to be good?

Son... I've been good forever ~_* /flex

When did I *really* become good?

The moment I got good was the moment I learned to shut up and listen. Get over the ego and realize that others have valid points, and learn where to go for help.

It wasn't long after some of the reading, delving into the specifics that I became better than I was, and it showed. Now, I tend to do most of my own theorycrafting, run my own numbers, but sometimes, you just have to ask, and there're people like Tinderhoof and Qbear who might not know the answer, but they'll be sure to point you to the right persons.

Come to think of it, that's a life lesson for some of you younger folks ^_^ Heck, not even younger... that's a plain and simple life lesson!
It's 106 mile to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses... hit it!

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Thu May 03, 2012 12:19 am

I fully agree with the shutting up and listening :)

You see, for me there was a bit of a delay between listening (I was practically inhaling every bit of info on kitty-ing) and actually translating all that knowledge into muscle memory, situational awareness even while dpsing, etc. I suspect many people get to that stage, and I also think that this is where many give up.

I'm glad I didn't. I'm now at this stage that I was talking about, where I am confident that I can handle most situations in a raid without putting my dps into the toilet. I get occasional rankings (Ultrax the other night) and I just feel... *good* raiding. I still make tons of mistakes and have an awful lot of things I need to improve, but the basics are in place.
-Sibylle

Postby Drlbpgtjdomt » Wed May 09, 2012 1:40 am

My timers are above and to the left of my head. Under me Power Auras for Tiger's Fury and Berserk, the latter has a timer and is visible in the screenshot. Also visible is a brown-ish Aura around me, which indicates that my Savage Roar is going to fall off in less than 10 seconds.------------------------------------------Please tell me what's the meaning of this???

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Wed May 09, 2012 6:03 am

I'm describing elements of my UI there and the addons I use. You can see them in the screenshot I linked.
-Sibylle

Previous

Return to Kitty DPS