Register

The Stone Gaurd

Exalted

The Stone Gaurd

Postby Tinderhoof » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:56 pm

This topic is for discussing Feral DPS tactics and/or general raid strategies for The Stone Gaurd encounter.

Please feel free to post tips, tricks, videos or ask questions. I will do my best to keep the top post updated with information as it arrives.

When discussing, please mention raid size (10/25) and difficulty (normal/heroic).

Re: The Stone Gaurd

Postby Ayowin » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:26 am

So with this fight being a bleed cleave and all, do you think HotW is better than DoC? HotW seemed to dominate all the other fights in this raid, but this one I'm not so sure. I have the top parse right now with a DoC setup, but I never actually tried HoTW on it. Has anyone tried both? If so which seemed better?

Postby Offbalance » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:20 am

Not sure if the 3 that are up are the same for everyone of just for the lockout but ours were Jade, Amy and Sap...

I read that the way to break that chains was to build the stacks to 8 then get healed while ur close then break them. Does this work better then just sticking to ur chained buddy? Being the only melee in my group I found that sticking to (normally healers) was very frustrating. On our kill I was chained to out Pally healer who used to play ret, so he was able to adjust better then come of the other ones on previous attempts. It only got bad when we had a lot of pools that we had to work around. Anyone have thoughts on this part of the fight?

Revered

Postby Dysheki » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:40 am

Offbalance wrote:Not sure if the 3 that are up are the same for everyone of just for the lockout but ours were Jade, Amy and Sap...

I read that the way to break that chains was to build the stacks to 8 then get healed while ur close then break them. Does this work better then just sticking to ur chained buddy? Being the only melee in my group I found that sticking to (normally healers) was very frustrating. On our kill I was chained to out Pally healer who used to play ret, so he was able to adjust better then come of the other ones on previous attempts. It only got bad when we had a lot of pools that we had to work around. Anyone have thoughts on this part of the fight?

The way the fight works is when a dog is attempting to petrify the raid you will take 90% less damage of that damage type. When Jasper chains people have them move together to take no damage until Jasper petrification is up then you want to break the chains because they will do trivial damage.

Postby Offbalance » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:21 am

Dysheki wrote:
Offbalance wrote:Not sure if the 3 that are up are the same for everyone of just for the lockout but ours were Jade, Amy and Sap...

The way the fight works is when a dog is attempting to petrify the raid you will take 90% less damage of that damage type. When Jasper chains people have them move together to take no damage until Jasper petrification is up then you want to break the chains because they will do trivial damage.

D: How did we miss that... Thanks.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:59 pm

Also the 3 dogs being up is 10 man only. 25 man all 4 dogs are up all the time.

Postby Signas » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:42 am

I did extremely well using Dream of Cenarius (Hit=Expertise > Mastery > Crit > Haste built) on the Stone Guardians tonight.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/dp0u ... 599&e=2912

At the time of this post, I'm ranked 2nd in 10 man normal modes.

Revered

Postby Dysheki » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:18 am

10 man heroic . . . am I missing something subtle with these taunts? I'd say over 3/4 of our wipes last night were because of overloads that aren't supposed to happen and it's really frustrating. Isn't it just supposed to be:

1) wait until the 2 get close to 50% energy
2) taunt the one away that isn't attempting to petrify the raid, taunt the solo tanked one to the petrification boss
3) and for the rest of the fight be sure to keep the lowest energy boss next to the one with petrification?

Postby Bearnakked » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:21 am

As being a 25 man raider, Heroic Stone gaurd has been a pain in the ass to dodge mine blasts with all the other crap you have to avoid, anyone else notice how difficult it is when trying to double dot everything? Monk spinning kick to heal inside the melee makes it a graphic nightmare ontop of being inside the 7 yard radius? In all of the logs of actual kills i've seen melee classes have taken atleast 4-5 hits on the Cobalt Mine. have any tips out there for me? or is it just best for me to hit SR/barkskin when in doubt?

Revered

Postby Dysheki » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:33 am

Well, you're going to obviously take cobalt bomb hits - just hopefully only when cobalt petrification is up, lol. But yeah, eyeball strain with all of the ground effect shit in a 25 man raid is stupid. They have yet to fix the graphical overload from so many people/ground effects in a small area (though at least they FINALLY admitted to it recently being a problem - don't remember exactly, but GC acknowledged it's a problem). Just have to try your best. I just switched to 10 man this tier, but I used to always try to stay slightly off of the giant melee clump to get a little better view of myself. Frustrating at times, but not much you can do, tbh.

Honored

Postby Dabeasty » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:17 am

We handled this okish last week but really struggled last night. We had cobalt, amethyst and jasper. We felt we had to stack on boss as we had 3 MDPS and more often than not people were chained to them - it just meant the floor around the adds was complete carnage - puddles and mines everywhere. We tried to kite (tho maybe not fast enough) and tried to make use of petrification to break chains/trigger mines but it wasn't helping.

I'm wondering if it'll be possible to stand still, all out nuke and heal thru mine damage? Perhaps moving slightly for puddles - as a grp.

Ideas? Cos we struggled last night.

10m normal btw

Honored

Postby Dabeasty » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:08 am

I think we'll try swap a melee dps out for a ranged tonight.

3 melee with chains, mines and puddles up felt very tough.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:19 pm

Bearnakked wrote:As being a 25 man raider, Heroic Stone gaurd has been a pain in the ass to dodge mine blasts with all the other crap you have to avoid, anyone else notice how difficult it is when trying to double dot everything? Monk spinning kick to heal inside the melee makes it a graphic nightmare ontop of being inside the 7 yard radius? In all of the logs of actual kills i've seen melee classes have taken atleast 4-5 hits on the Cobalt Mine. have any tips out there for me? or is it just best for me to hit SR/barkskin when in doubt?

It can be a pain to see. We are VERY melee heavy and we had a lot of problems with premature splosions. What we did to work around this was to preplan placement of the bad stuff. We use 3 tanks and make a triangle. The tank with two is at the back of the room just at the foot of the rear staircase. He shades to the far right side. Melee has our melee officer marked and everyone stacks on him. We hug the right flank of the 2 dog pack. When a pool or a mine gets dropped everyone moves left just to the edge. If its a mine our boomkin gets a cooldown and he breaks it. Then melee moves right back. If its a pool we sit on the left edge and as pools build up we move across the room. It's really importent not to let anyone get to the left of the dogs because they will drop pools in the melee's path. More then likely you will run out of room and have to go back across and start again (we did). All chained range MUST move into the melee group. Tell Mages they are fired if they blink out of a bomb (I got blown up twice by my chain parntner).

This is a really sucky fight for Feral. The dogs don't sit still and often you will get pulled out of range because of having to move. Do not worry to much about high Rip uptime. It's going to be low. Focus on being aware and moving asap. With the massive damage buff givin by the tiles you can still do very healthy damage with out being perfect on execution. Soulswap is a god send on this fight. I started the night trying to do DoC, but with learing to move it became to painful so I swapped to HotW. I also didn't use it on the pull though, but on the final burn with Bloodlust. Make sure you don't use it until all the tiles get laid down for the biggest punch.

Other tips. If you are on tile duty use SR first to get as many folks buffed as possible, and Dash second to get you as far back as possible.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:25 pm

Dysheki wrote:10 man heroic . . . am I missing something subtle with these taunts? I'd say over 3/4 of our wipes last night were because of overloads that aren't supposed to happen and it's really frustrating. Isn't it just supposed to be:

1) wait until the 2 get close to 50% energy
2) taunt the one away that isn't attempting to petrify the raid, taunt the solo tanked one to the petrification boss
3) and for the rest of the fight be sure to keep the lowest energy boss next to the one with petrification?

This got us a lot last night. The taunts need to be crisp and must be at the same time. If they arn't at the exact time, or are sloppy you end up with 2 or 3 dogs to close to each other. Even a few seconds will build up enough energy to screw the raid. Make sure your tanks are calling out in vent/mumble and doing a count down taunt. If one tank screws up and gets the wrong one you can try a hail mary and have a non tank run out of the raid and taunt the one about to blow up out of the raid. You need to time it just right and have the other tank be ready to taunt it back (or a priest to LG you out till they can). Hope things tighten up for you.

Revered

Postby Dysheki » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:57 am

Yeah, we got it down last week. It was just annoying to wipe continuously to a mechanic we didn't have to worry about for normal mode. Apparently the one tank had a UI that hid the boss raid frames with their energy and that was causing most of the frustration. Once that was fixed our wipes from that became minimal and we were able to continue on with the clusterf--k that is Stone Guard.

Postby mineko » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:40 am

Okay, I don't know if I'm the only one who looks at dpsbot to judge how we're doing, but I found this to be extremely nuts. According to the graphs, the top ferals were doing like 120-130k dps on 25N Stone Guards from October 15th to the 31st. After that, the damage plummets back down to normal levels. My question is...how? HotW wrath spamming? Didn't they nerf that a while before the 31st?

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/The_Stone_Gu ... fault/#g00

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:01 am

Guessing this is a by product of folks switching from normal to heroic.

Honored

Postby kaiadam » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:38 pm

More specifically, a byproduct of world of logs finally recognizing heroic mode encounters. Previously it just lumped them all together, so 25N stone guards was basically all 25H logs.

Return to Boss Archives