Register

Nightmares of Cenarius

Face-rippin fun.

Nightmares of Cenarius

Postby TheLOOGE » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:40 am

I have some questions regarding usage of DoC as most of these threads don't really get into the nitty gritty of the rotation using this talent, unless you speak script -- which I do not. I apologize in advance:

1) Opener: It is common knowledge that being energy capped at any point is a DPS-loss. However, the opener feels very busy. It feels even worse trying to incorporate DoC buffs to my bleeds. When I try to buff rake/rip/whatever with DoC, especially while Berserk is active, capping is practically unavoidable (IS unavoidable during Lust). So, is buffing Rip/Rake viable only when energy is low? Or is it worth capping energy to get the buff to those bleeds whenever possible?

2) Rest of the fight: Just how important is getting DoC up on your bleeds? Is it worth letting Rip/Rake fall off if you're waiting an extra 3-4 seconds to buff BOTH with DoC? Or are uptimes still more important than buffing either? My uptimes fall a bit when aiming for this strategy (letting them fall off for a bit in order to buff both bleeds) and it feels wrong. Please someone tell me it is wrong so I can sleep at night.

In practice, this talent just feels more important [read: more complicated] than it probably is. Of course, one should probably buff as many bleeds as possible, however, as mentioned above, should one only be using DoC (casting HT, yadda yadda) when energy is low, or is it imperative to get bleeds buffed, even if it means a slight bleed downtime or energy cap?

Thanks!

Exalted

Re: Nightmares of Cenarius

Postby aggixx » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:40 am

1) Everything I've tried with SimC leads me to believe that if you're in a situation where you have to choose between energy capping for ~1 GCD or stalling a HT (assuming you're using one of the charges on a finisher), it doesn't really matter which you choose. The damage benefit from the DoC charge will make up for losing a little energy.

2) Uptime is far more important. You can think of this way: For every 1 tick of unbuffed bleed you lose, you need to have 5 ticks of buffed bleed to make up for it. Realistically you're never going to be able to pull that off.

Honored

Postby ellorien » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:09 am

I'm glad someone made this thread! I had a question:

Is it always worth overwriting the unbuffed rake/ rip with the buffed rake/ rip, no matter how much time is left on the old one?

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:05 pm

ellorien wrote:Is it always worth overwriting the unbuffed rake/ rip with the buffed rake/ rip, no matter how much time is left on the old one?

In general yes, although the rules are different for Rip after you are in BitW, since the Rip tick damage multipliers are never changed by FB. Once you hit BitW, you want to get as big a Rip rolling as you can - so time a potion with DoC and any on-use trinkets and then FB the rest of the way. Also, it gets a little tricky deciding when to overwrite because there are other buffs that might have made the Rip/Rake more powerful, but that is difficult to test.

In addition to overwriting Rip/Rake to get more powerful ticks, you also want to clip them early (with just under 6 seconds left on both of them) when DoC is up as long as you will get at least an equal damage multiplier. This extends the number of "high damage" ticks you can get.

If you use the Ovale script, there is a a checkbox option called "Show Rake and Rip Ratio Boxes" that shows you how much you can increase the damage ratio of Rip/Rake at any given time. It is in percents, so the value 100 means overwriting Rip/Rake at that moment would result in one with the same damage multipliers. Following the rotation in Ovale and watching these values will help you understand how to rotation works.

Edit: as a side note, I generalized the overwrite code for Rip and Rake to look at the actual damage multiplier rather than just DoC which allows it to work for any proc (trinket, engineering gloves, etc.). It also works for the other specs.

Postby TheLOOGE » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:50 am

This is awesome information and really clears a lot of things up regading DoC.

Incidentally, I'd like to comment how glad I am to have found this website. I've played Feral for several years and have parsed quite a few times in my career and this site is far more engaging and informative than EJ is currently or has ever been.

That said, I wonder if Blizzard could find a better way to incorporate DoC into our rotation without having to cast a heal? I.e., maybe proc off of our Savage Defense heals? Just a thought..

Honored

Postby ellorien » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:08 pm

Leafkiller wrote:[object Object]

Thank you for explaining in detail. I'll turn on that option and keep that in mind when overwriting! :)

Return to Kitty DPS