Register

No feral specs on the top 20 druid PVE builds

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

No feral specs on the top 20 druid PVE builds

Postby mineko » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:34 pm

http://www.guildox.com/go/g.asp?c=11&r= ... 3&n=&e=pve

What do you guys make of this? I thought it was interesting. Is it simply a case of mass ignorance about cats' PVE viability? Or could the utility be polling wrong? I knew ferals were one of the rarer raiding specs, but I would never have guessed there wouldn't be even a single cat build in the top 20 druid PVE builds.

Exalted

Re: No feral specs on the top 20 druid PVE builds

Postby Tinderhoof » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:53 pm

I question their methods for putting together this data. From their intro post:
We have crunched the numbers of the top 5% of players and published the most popular WoW talents.

Not sure how they are coming up with top 5%. Top 5% of what? WoL parses? Most kills? On top of that just because the most people picked them doesn't make them the best choice. I did notice that HotW was picked for every Guardian build. Even with the stam bonus NV is a better Guardian progression choice. I would ignore the what is posted until they give more information on who the "Magic 5%" is.

Honored

Postby kaiadam » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:08 pm

Well, currently the data is a bit useless because druids have 4 different specs.

If you want to take the very top cream of the crop players, we have a somewhat unique opportunity to examine how many players of each spec have killed say, heroic Will of the Emperors right now (since *every* druid is ranked if they've killed WoL with the small number that we have at the moment.)

25:

Feral - 12
Balance - 38
Restoration - 12
Guardian - 8

10:

Balance - 15
Feral - 3
Restoration - 4
Guardian - 17

For a total of:

Feral - 15
Restoration - 16
Guardian - 25
Balance - 53

109 Druids who are 6/6 MSV.

Given the ridiculous popularity of balance druids (a carryover from cataclysm where they were amazingly more powerful than ferals), it should come as no surprise that the majority of the most popular builds are balance specs.

Furthermore, given the power of feral druids (we are significantly more damaging and have greater utility than balance at the moment), there should be a greater representation of feral druids in the above list than reality. I'd assume the breakdown of high-end druid specs is something like:

Feral - 10%
Resto - 15%
Guardian - 20%
Balance - 55%

Given the relative equality of our tier 1/4/6 talents, feral specs are further diluted due to differing opinions and preferences for feline swiftness/wild charge, incarnation/sotf, doc/hotw ... it would be hard for a non-majority build of an unpopular spec to make it up on the popularity charts at all.

---

Ferals kick major ass in PvE, don't let any wonky statistics try to convince you otherwise.

Postby mineko » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:32 pm

I knew to take this data with a grain of salt, because at the end of the day it's a popularity contest, and we all (should) know that popularity does not necessarily equal quality. Still, I really would have liked more data on the most popular talents among ferals. It's too bad the site doesn't offer that functionality.

Site Admin

Postby Alaron » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:51 am

Chatted about this on Twitter a little while ago: http://www.wowpopular.com/Druid/Feral has a breakdown for ferals. Annoyingly, like GuildOx there's no numbers, only bars, and there also appears to be a display bug that causing stuff to sum to more than 100%, but here's my estimate of what they're saying for talents:

T1: 20% FS, 5% TC, 75% WC
T2: 40% NS, 60% Ren, 0% CW
T3: 45% FS, 15% ME, 40% Ty
T4: 40% SOTF, 60% Inc, 0% FoN
T5: 15% DR, 10% Ursol, 75% Bash
T6: 80% HOTW, 5% DOC, 15% NV

Most popular glyphs (in order) are Savagery, Shred, Cat Form. All the other info on the page is irrelevant.

Site Admin

Postby Alaron » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:04 am

As for raid representation (following up on kaia's excellent analysis), here's a quick look at raidbots's crunch of data for the past month.

25N:
Balance: 15,560
Feral: 10,524
Resto: 16,957
Guardian: 5,239

10N:
Balance: 20,400
Feral: 8,330
Resto: 33,452
Guardian: 19,717

Of course, you need to take these numbers in context. Looking at the full list, feral is the 2nd least popular exclusive DPS spec, with enhancement shaman right below. (By exclusive, I mean a spec that can't be switched from. Lots of specs for DPS classes are easily switched out of and thus grossly underplayed if they appear underpowered, such as Arcane, Marksmanship, or Subtlety.)

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:09 pm

Alaron wrote:(By exclusive, I mean a spec that can't be switched from. Lots of specs for DPS classes are easily switched out of and thus grossly underplayed if they appear underpowered, such as Arcane, Marksmanship, or Subtlety.)

I think the word you're looking for would be hybrid or maybe "non-pure".

I have to agree with Tinder though... the entire system doesn't seem very polished or well explained so I wouldn't count on it much.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:29 pm

aggixx wrote:
Alaron wrote:(By exclusive, I mean a spec that can't be switched from. Lots of specs for DPS classes are easily switched out of and thus grossly underplayed if they appear underpowered, such as Arcane, Marksmanship, or Subtlety.)

I think the word you're looking for would be hybrid or maybe "non-pure".

I have to agree with Tinder though... the entire system doesn't seem very polished or well explained so I wouldn't count on it much.

No exclusive would be an appropriate term, since Feral and Enhance have a unique problem of their gear not being viable for any other DPS spec... There are Hybrids and Non-Pure that don't have this problem... DKs and Warriors are both Hybrid classes that have multiple DPS specs that can easily be switched around with a whim.

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:06 pm

Ah I see, you're right.

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:28 pm

Monks...

Return to Kitty DPS