Register

Imperial Vizier Zor'lok

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Honored

Imperial Vizier Zor'lok

Postby Dabeasty » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:55 am

This topic is for discussing Feral DPS tactics and/or general raid strategies for the Imperial Vizier Zor'lok encounter.

Please feel free to post tips, tricks, videos or ask questions. I will do my best to keep the top post updated with information as it arrives.

When discussing, please mention raid size (10/25) and difficulty (normal/heroic).

I merged this post here. I should have had this ready before the release hence the delay. Sorry for the confusion. Tinderhoof

Struggled with this a bit last night :(
I think my spatial awareness is a bit naff with some things and I was just seeing a big mess where others saw a pretty pattern with big gaps to run through.

I had most success with camera at birds eye view and strafing through gaps. Even this though wasnt perfect and many discs seemed to clip me even tho I thought I had room. Does druid model get shafted here as it has with certain mechanics in the past? Perhaps my small laptop screen isnt helping here either.

Anyway, has anyone got any tips or secret ways to handle this? Please dont just reply 'its easy' - perhaps for you but not for me apparently

Honored

Re: Attenuation on Vizier

Postby Dabeasty » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:05 am

Saw this on tankspot, seems like a useful picture and guide

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php? ... sticknight

Think I'll try look for this pattern and follow the discs in a circle next time...hopefully the penny will drop!

Honored

Postby Terias » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:56 am

Stand back further - his hit-box is gigantic for a mob of his size, you can hit him from about 30-40 range. If you are too close, the safe zone is very small, and I found myself being clipped by the discs even when I'd be out of them on my screen (likely related to lag and me being so close to the disc spawn locations when I was close to him).

To dodge the discs, you can just look at the direction they are going and follow them around him in circles. That is, they spawn in a spiral pattern and continue in that direction until the end of the attenuation. Once you start dodging you should be able to move continuously in the exact same direction until it stops (if you are finding you have to dodge left and right, you aren't look at the pattern correctly, or you might be standing too far back). You shouldn't have to move forward or backward at all during this phase, you should be able to keep your distance from the boss the same throughout attenuation. If you move forward or backward, the pace of your dodging will have to adjust.

You can also dodge between the discs to stay at his back by strafing left/right at the appropriate time - but it's much more difficult than just following it around in a circle.

There's one thing you have to look out for, and if you aren't seeing the safe zones this might be your problem, at a certain range the spiral starts collapsing in on itself and the discs cross over each other creating a very difficult spot to navigate through. So while you do want to stay back, you want to stick within about 25 yards; don't get too far back or you'll have to deal with the area where they start crossing over.

The first few phases of this fight are very easy, especially the attenuation phase (it's the only thing that happens during this phase), take an attempt to just step back and focus only on the attenuation and ignore your dps.

Honored

Postby Dabeasty » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:49 am

I was trying to strafe through the gaps and it worked sometimes but not others. I wasnt dying but I was taking more damage than Id have liked.

Next time I'll try the find a gap and move in a circle tactic.

Question: do you use feline swiftness and boot enchant to make you move faster? Did this help/hinder you? Don't want to run so fast its counterproductive!

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:43 pm

Using the boot enchant and FS is what I did. Something to focus on though is don't look for a gap. If you are trying to run between the orbs you haven't found the spiral pattern. Also the orbs only last for one rotation around him. So from where you start know that they will end when you get back to that same spot. All you have to do is look where they start spawning and go with the flow. You have to look because the direction is random.

Honored

Postby Terias » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:48 pm

I use fs and boot enchant, yeah, I had to slow down when I was following the spiral a couple times.

I switched to dodging between the discs so I could stay behind him full-time, but you cut it really close on some of the discs, I wouldn't do this if you are having trouble following the spiral normally.

That link that was posted has a video at the bottom and you can clearly see his raid running around the spiral of discs, this is what you want to do (you might want to be a bit further back than the tank in the video though to make it easier).

Honored

Postby RareBeast » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:43 pm

Once I saw the pattern I didn't take another tick of damage in any of our attempts. It is a bit like the whirlwinds from Alysrazor in Firelands, once you get it you wonder how you found it so hard initially.

Stand at max melee range, wait for the first spheres, get in between then then follow the gap left or right depending on which way they are spiralling out. We had some raid members who thought it was easier to just dodge them from a bit further back, but as a rule they tended to take more ticks of damage from not quite getting it right.

Exalted

Imperial Vizier Zor'lok

Postby Tinderhoof » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:06 pm

This topic is for discussing Feral DPS tactics and/or general raid strategies for the Imperial Vizier Zor'lok encounter.

Please feel free to post tips, tricks, videos or ask questions. I will do my best to keep the top post updated with information as it arrives.

When discussing, please mention raid size (10/25) and difficulty (normal/heroic).

Return to Boss Archives