Register

Real World Feral for MoP - alpha version

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Honored

Real World Feral for MoP - alpha version

Postby Helistar » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:58 am

Hi all.

As you most certainly do not know (hehe), I developed (and for a short time distributed) a feral-oriented log analyzer/visualizer. The short story is that I've now updated it for MoP and, even if it still has a ton of shortcomings and errors, it has reached the point where input from other players can be useful in changing/adding features.

If you're impatient: http://creamchoco.free.fr/rwf
There are PNG images there, look and enjoy :), then download and try.
You will need do download the "rwf-x.y.z-winexe.zip" for the windows executable of the version you want. You also need to download (once) the DLLs required for the program to run, which are in "rwf-needed-dlls.zip".

For a somewhat longer version of the story: I've always found that while World of Logs is a fantastic tools, it's not as good as it could be when it comes to analyzing some fine details of your DPS (= to see where you mess up). For cats in particular, there are some details about DoTs which are not evident in WoL and require second-guessing from the aura uptimes. From this first "problem" I started to develop a program which will eat your combat log and generate a nice interactive window with a very in-depth visualization of the combat events. Note that it will only care about events related to your character, there's no attempt at "global" raid visualization (as it could be something like WoWCardioRaid). Also, it's feral-only which is both good (specialized) and bad (100% useless to other classes/specs). I was also not interested in rewriting World of Logs, so my program is best used *together* with WoL and not in place of it. An example of this is that my program does not tell you your DPS (WoL can already do it very well), but you can still learn a lot about your mistakes by looking at the visualization. Early on it had some sophisticated (=barely decent) code to highlight glaring mistakes, but in this version I had to remove most of the checks, since the "rules" of cat DPS changed quite a bit, so right now the error-marking is very incomplete, and at times misleading.

There's also a couple of serious omissions, the biggest one being the snapshot of DoT multipliers being refreshed by BitW/FB. This is high on my list of "to do" fixes. Additionally, HotW Wrath-spam is correctly visualized, but Tranq/Rejuv-spam is not. And one of the displays (activity bar) is a complete mess.... but well, this is an alpha, so you should be happy if it doesn't crash, if it actually does anything, that's extra bonus :)

Ok, so if all this text didn't scare you, go ahead and try, and let me know what you think.
In case you want to be aware of new releases (which I'll try to mention in this thread), you can follow my blog at http://realworldferal.blogspot.com . I also post other stuff at times, but honestly if you're not into combat log parsing most of the articles will be of no interest to you.

[ Of course, standard warnings apply when you download stuff (executables in particular) from the internet. I'm a linux user and I do all the developement on linux, switching to windows exclusively to compile the windows version. I'm relatively positive that my windows installation is not a mess of virus/malware, but you should not trust me, check the executable and, if paranoid enough, recompile from the source code (which is available: C++ using the Qt toolkit). ]
Last edited by Helistar on Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Exalted

Re: Real World Feral for MoP - alpha version

Postby raffy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:31 pm

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:31 pm

Here's a virustotal scan I did if anyone else cares:
https://www.virustotal.com/url/589dc6ac ... 352330916/

Anyways, I tried to give it a shot but I got:
"The program can't start because mingwm10.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Perhaps you need to include some DLLs in the zip?

Honored

Postby Helistar » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:55 am

Ah sorry, I thought that a file named "rwf-needed-dlls.zip" would be self-explanatory :)
They are in a separate zip since they don't change across releases, so they would just make an extra 5M download every time.

I'll add installation instructions for windows in the README.

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:40 am

It would be self-explanatory if I hadn't skimmed through the table of files for the exe!

Honored

Postby Helistar » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:40 am

New version out, fixing some of the shortcomings of the old one:

0.3.1 * better explanatons in the README (win install, ctrl-move)
* added more trinkets (they now share the same aura id across versions)
* added skull bash energy cost
* FB-refresh now propagates TF/DoC buffs
* auto-detection of talents (tier 2,4,6)
* fixed crash if no tier6 talent was detected
* added more information on attacks (dmg / DPE on a per-target basis)
* same as above, but for the overall totals
* added support for Soul Swap (Rake only for now)

Anyone knows if there's a way to have simulationcraft spit out a log in WoW format? I'd be very interested in visualizing it, but all I found is the log=1 option which generates a log in a format which is completely unusable.

Return to Kitty DPS