It took a week, a 12-pack of Mountain Dew (diet…I’m a healthy geek), and 5,000 words, but it’s done. Please take a look and let me know what you think either here, or on the forums.
See title. Got about 3,500 words in so far, should be done sometime this week. Still needs a lot of cleaning up/formatting.
- Feral DPS Advantages/Disadvantages
- Talent Tree Analysis
- Talent Specs for 80/85
- Primary/Secondary Stats
- Combat Resources (energy/combo points)
Sections under construction:
- Ability Analysis
- Rotation Analysis
- Advanced Tips
- Recommended Addons
IF you have questions, please ask them here and I’ll try to address them in the FAQ.
Leafkiller and tBot have created some great cat (and bear) Ovale scripts, integrated here. Mihir has also created a cat script, with a slightly different style, here. I haven’t had a chance to test the latest versions personally, so please let me know how they work. :P
(Seriously…I’ve spent so much time working on Mew/guide that I’ve actually PLAYED probably 15-20 minutes. I’m still gemmed all crit, haven’t reforged, etc. Don’t armory me. :P)
As I’ve posted on the EJ forums, I’ve made several tweaks to the Mew default script, located here.
Please post any comments or feedback. I’ll be reworking this into an Ovale script over the next couple days. Quick hits:
- Trying to stack TF with Rip/Rake is probably a DPS loss except under very unique conditions.
- Agility/Mastery are amazing. Stack these like crazy. (Better then hit/exp, but usual qualifier about infrequent misses causing large DPS drops due to adjustment applies. I’ll go more into detail on this later.)
- Normal rotation in a sentence: Keep Mangle/FF up, use Berserk/TF on CD, Rip up, Rake up, Roar if it drops or early if you need to desync Rip/SR, Bite if Rip has more than 10s left, Pool energy to 70, Shred.
- Shred/5CP Bite on OOC.
- Stop worrying about 5CP SR’s during BITW; just do normal rotation, FB at 5 CP’s, and put SR up with whatever you have when it drops.
- Glyph of Berserk is looking like the best 3rd choice now, but it’s still a very small difference between the last three. Berserk > SR > TF.
I haven’t had much time to play or write scripts; thankfully, Leafkiller’s stepped up and done some work himself. He’s updated both the script that comes with Ovale and my old script to work with 4.0.1, and posted them in the forum here. My script is not very good right now; it’s still based on prioritizing SR uptime above all else, which is no longer as important as 100% Rip/Rake uptime. It’s also not FB’ing enough. If I find time, I’ll rewrite it, but I’m not going to exert too much effort until we see things stabilize. (yay, GC!)
Also, apparently Restos are soloing Heroics with a combo of Nature’s Ward (100% chance to proc a Rejuv when hit), GOTEM (small initial heal from Rejuv), and glyphed Thorns (2-3k damage on hit). Of course, I’ve got two tests this week, so no fun for me. Yay.
Seems some stealth buffs (and by stealth, I mean B-2 Bomber stealth…quiet and massive) hit last night. Dummy Recount log below; yes, my rotation is not the greatest yet; yes, I haven’t regemmed or anything. Napkin math says it’s a 50% buff to yellow damage (not sure about FB, don’t know how much energy I did it with). Overall, that’s looking like a 30%-35% buff, which should put us back to where we were pre-4.0.1, or even a little more. Obviously, somebody’ll have to do some raid testing. Yowza.
Recount – Alarron’s Hostile Attacks (Midnight)(148 sec), 5713 DPS1. Melee 187 227859 (26%) (Avg Hit: 730 Avg Crit: 1597)2. Rip (DoT) 63 205358 (24%) (Avg Tick: 1740 Avg Crit Tick: 3966)3. Shred 49 204873 (24%) (Avg Hit: 2290 Avg Crit: 5427)4. Rake (DoT) 44 142424 (17%) (Avg Tick: 1838 Avg Crit: 4403)5. Fury Swipes 17 35184 (4%) (Avg Hit: 929 Avg Crit: 2314)6. Ferocious Bite 2 18195 (2%) (Avg Crit: 9098)7. Mangle 3 10089 (1%)8. Ravage 1 9086 (1%)9. Rake 9 7435 (1%) (Avg Hit: 555 Avg Crit: 1165)
Recount – Alarron’s Hostile Attacks (6 AM)(148 sec), 7956 DPS1. Rip (DoT) 64 308857 (26%) (Avg Hit: 2627 Avg Crit: 5978)2. Shred 46 301958 (25%) (Avg Hit: 3546 Avg Crit: 8292)3. Rake (DoT) 43 236455 (20%) (Avg Hit: 2738 Avg Crit: 6230)4. Melee 192 229466 (19%) (Avg Hit: 682 Avg Crit: 1530)5. Fury Swipes 20 53625 (4%) (Avg Hit: 1438 Avg Crit: 3461)6. Ferocious Bite 2 39913 (3%) (Avg Crit: 19957)7. Mangle 3 15280 (1%)8. Rake 9 14787 (1%) (Avg Hit: 792 Avg Crit: 1749)9. Ravage 1 3923 (0%)
EDIT: Yawning’s rederived (some of) the formulas. (He hasn’t slept, apparently. Dude, seriously, go to bed.)
Mangle: (Weapon Dmg) * 3.6 + 1017
Shred: (Weapon Dmg) * 3.5 + 1036
Rake Direct: 272 + 0.023 * AP
Rake DoT: 555 + 0.14 * AP (Per tick)
Rip DoT: 57 + 144 * nrCPs + AP * 0.023 * nrCPs (Per tick)
(For reference, here’s some of the old 4.0.1 and oldold (PTR) coefficients…I don’t have Mangle/Shred’s handy right now.)
* Rake (Direct): 176 + AP * 0.015 (Was AP * 0.01)
* Rake (DoT): 358 + AP * 0.09 (Was AP * 0.06)
* Rip (DoT): (36 + 93 * nrCPs) + AP * 0.015 * nrCPs (Was AP * 0.01 * nrCPs)
- Rather than try and address multiple threads, I’m just going to plop our current thoughts in this one post. Please excuse the brevity.
1) We think Fury, Arms, Feral cat and Retribution dps is too low and we will be buffing them.
2) We think mage dps is too high, especially Fire, and will be nerfing it.
3) We think Shadow priest dps is too high, but that’s largely a result of Shadow Word: Death spam, which is tough on healers. We’ll be fixing that.
4) We think Destro warlock dps is too high, but that’s largely a result of Searing Pain spam, which is tough on tanks. We’ll be fixing that.
5) As we suspected, PvP dps is just too high given that the health pools of Cataclysm haven’t kicked in yet. While competitive PvP is over for the moment, we still want the environment to feel better so we will be buffing resilience. This change might be reverted at level 85.
Couldn’t resist the pun in the title…and Boomkins are okay, apparently? Time to go spam some moonfires in WG, I guess :)
I hate using terms like “broken,” as I think they’re incendiary, but I think it applies in this case. I’d half-written a post when Yawning pointed me to a much better post he’d written on the official forums. Please take a look, and comment as you see fit.
P.S.: My perception of DPS right now looks like this…is this about right? (Just curious)
Ret? (No clue)
Warriors/Feral Druids (not sure which is worse)
Well, I was going to do some combat logging last night to compare to Mew, but a good chunk of my addons that were supposedly “4.0 compliant” still didn’t work. Considering that the patch (which I had conscientiously pre-downloaded) took 2.5 HOURS to install, I kinda ran out of time and patience once things actually loaded up. Anyway, here’s a quick roundup of the state of kitty addons from my perspective:
Need to Know (timer bars):
It worked (kinda) but it’d throw an error every time I turned it on. I’ll have to try deleting the saved data and recreating the bars from scratch. Thankfully, I don’t have a raid to get prepped for any time soon. :) I might start looking at other timer bar addons if it’s a big issue, but I’ve been really happy with NTK. (That said, if someone wants to recommend something that works in 4.0 in the comments, I’ll listen.)
Ovale has been updated for 4.0, but my script threw errors for me as well. Based on a comment on the Curse page, I believe changing the Rake spellid from 59886 to 1822 should do it, but I won’t be able to test that until tonight. Once I get Ovale working, I’ll start updating the script for 4.0 logic, using information gathered via Mew.
Don’t use this personally, but this version should work.
Okay, this isn’t really cat-related, but this was the thing I was most dreading about 4.0…my beloved Baud Manifest addon would no longer work, and I’d have to go back to looking at a grid of icons again. :( Thankfully, a fan update is here. You may want to go into the LUA (line 14) and disable debug, though.
The same patch that made Cower useful also ensured that we won’t have the DPS to need it.
Just a quick note to give everyone something to chew on while waiting for the servers…
Yawning is reporting that they did a stealth buff on some of our abilities’ coefficients on the PTR, which everyone missed. (Amazingly, when you actually test stuff, you find out sometimes the dataminers miss things. Shock! Horror!) Changes below:
- Rake (Direct): 176 + AP * 0.015 (Was AP * 0.01)
- Rake (DoT): 358 + AP * 0.09 (Was AP * 0.06)
- Rip (DoT): (36 + 93 * nrCPs) + AP * 0.015 * nrCPs (Was AP * 0.01 * nrCPs)
- Ferocious Bite: 132 + 319 * nrCPs + AP * 0.077 * nrCPs, 286 + 319 * nrCPs + AP * 0.077 * nrCPs (Was 120 + 290 * nrCPs + AP * 0.07 * nrCPs, 260 + 290 * nrCPs + AP * 0.07 * nrCPs)
By my napkin math, that looks to be a 50% buff to the scaling coefficient on Rip and Rake, and a 10% buff to the scaling coefficient on FB. That (this is the napkin part) would be about a 10% buff to our bleeds (less for FB) which should push our overall DPS up 5% or so.
The changes are incorporated in the latest version of Mew…go get it if you haven’t already. (Yawning also fixed the bug where the Strength of Earth/Horn of Winter/Battle Shout buff was incredibly OP…blame Wowhead, they have it wrong too.)